Mini Blog from the Mariner - 8/30 - 9/8/2017

Travelcat2

Great photos of the PH suite on Mariner .............. but where are the 'GQ People' :cool:

If Regent do not intend to replace the wall cupboards during refurbishment, where will the glasses be stored?

IMO it was a big mistake to remove all the wall cupboards and shelves during the Voyager (& Navigator?) refurbishment. It has left the rooms short of useful storage and I had hoped that the designers would have reviewed this decision before the Mariner refurbishment.

Great photos of the PH suite on Mariner .............. but where are the 'GQ People' :cool:

If Regent do not intend to replace the wall cupboards during refurbishment, where will the glasses be stored?

IMO it was a big mistake to remove all the wall cupboards and shelves during the Voyager (& Navigator?) refurbishment. It has left the rooms short of useful storage and I had hoped that the designers would have reviewed this decision before the Mariner refurbishment.

Where do they put glasses now on the Voyager and Navigator? There must be some place.......

Nice job posting pics, Jackie! You are now fully certified in tapatalk pic posting. Recommend you find your original email sent to me with pics (could be either in "sent emails" or "outbox") and hit resend when you are in port. This seemed to work for me whenever emails were stuck in my outbox. Enjoy the rest of the cruise and would love to see you as we disembark on 17 Nov.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do they put glasses now on the Voyager and Navigator? There must be some place.......

In the Voyager basic cabins the glasses are stored in a cupboard under the desk; on the other side is the fridge. This means that there is no longer a stack of drawers in the room (only in the closet)

83724836df2811b6cce4bfd7374ea31d.jpg

In the Penthouse A&B on Voyager the glasses are stored in a cupboard under the wall mounted TV, opposite side of the room to the fridge!!

3b4b0f64372631202b6c1b2ba8dde6fd.jpg

At least in the PH they have compensated for the removal of drawers in the room by adding a second stack of drawers in the closet (which does lose some hanging space)

TC2, Apologies for interrupting your blog with a discussion about refurbished Voyager suites

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RJ2002 - glad to hear that you booked that suite. It is definitely spacious and comfortable.

Flossie, thank you very much for posting photos of the Voyager. We will be on her early next year (in a Seven Seas suite) and it is a shame that so many drawers have been eliminated. Even on a 10 night cruise, we utilize the closet drawers as well as the drawers in the living room.

Mudhen - you really crack me up:D

RJ2002 - glad to hear that you booked that suite. It is definitely spacious and comfortable.

Flossie, thank you very much for posting photos of the Voyager. We will be on her early next year (in a Seven Seas suite) and it is a shame that so many drawers have been eliminated. Even on a 10 night cruise, we utilize the closet drawers as well as the drawers in the living room.

Agree that the PHC on Mariner is a very good value suite and we are glad we have a cruise booked in one next year :D. Just hope the refurbishment does not lose too much useful storage in the room :(

On our recent cruise we were in an F grade on Voyager. With the lack of drawers, we found we had to hang up more clothing than usual and without the previous wall storage we found that things like hats & bags tended to languish on the sofa :(. Not a big issue though and we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise.

I am sure you will find more storage available in the Seven Seas suite :)

TC, please say hello to Server Henra from the Smiths. Tell him that Maria and Ivan are awaiting his transfer to the Explorer to be with them!

We love the SS aft suite on the Mariner, but see why you love the PH.

Does the Mariner Suite have glass doors to the bedroom like the Explorer Forward SS suite? We do not like the glass doors as hubby stays up way too late with all the lights on. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

TC, please say hello to Server Henra from the Smiths. Tell him that Maria and Ivan are awaiting his transfer to the Explorer to be with them!

We love the SS aft suite on the Mariner, but see why you love the PH.

Does the Mariner Suite have glass doors to the bedroom like the Explorer Forward SS suite? We do not like the glass doors as hubby stays up way too late with all the lights on. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I can find Henra, I'll certainly pass on your message.

No, the PH suite doesn't have glass doors into the bedroom. I love the SS aft suite but my DH does not. In two months we'll be in a Mariner Suite and, if I recall correctly, it does have the glass doors.

Hi Travelcat2 just wanted to say enjoying your blog very much. Also wanted to comment on our experience in Vancouver we were taking a cruise leaving from Vancouver we decided to come in a day early and stay at the airport Hilton,and because of staying in the airport hotel we had to go thru customs, well after 3 1/2 hours of standing in line shlepping 6 bags I was wishing I had stayed home what a nightmare!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Flossie, I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately United States customs are control freaks (with good reason). I sincerely hope that we never embark in Vancouver again.

Below is a photo of me at Hubbard Glacier. I am showing the device that I'm beta testing. I'm one of 30 people in the U.S.25bcedf9b39a2e4eaccdba0a7bfd0d8b.jpg in the program. The device can help you stay warm or cold. I was using it to help stay warm (obviously)

The bathtub/shower combo is so deceiving. The step down out of the shower is really steep. It reminds me how blessed I am to have a "new" knee that can handle it.

Goldenrod, so glad to hear a that you were schlepping 6 bags. This should make my husband happy since we are generally schlepping only 4:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Travelcat2

Have you seen any ballroom dancing onboard or noticed it offered in the daily programs?

Haven't forgotten about you. All I can say is that there is music in the evening in different lounges and some have a dance floor and people do dance. This is not specifically ballroom dancing (which I love watching and wish that I could do).

Hi Flossie...curious about the TV in Voyager Penthouse. Looks small...is it clearly visible from the bed? Thanks...have one booked in 19.

The size of the TV is OK and the TV wall bracket allows it to swing out to allow it to be viewed from the bed

However, the room divider curtain blocks the view from one side of the bed .............. and there were no curtain tie backs!

Not the best of designs :(, but maybe they have fixed this issue by now (we were in a PH over Xmas/New Year)

TC2, Again sorry for interrupting your blog. Are you sure that device on your wrist isn't some kind of tracker? Does it work?

Appreciating the thread and happy to have the new photo! (I assume that's your Kohl's jacket that you'd mentioned a while back. Certainly looks comfy and protective. I suppose I need to find something like that for our Montreal-Miami cruise in late October. Hadn't even realized when I booked the itinerary.)

Your cruise sounds wonderful-- Continue to enjoy!

Appreciating the thread and happy to have the new photo! (I assume that's your Kohl's jacket that you'd mentioned a while back. Certainly looks comfy and protective. I suppose I need to find something like that for our Montreal-Miami cruise in late October. Hadn't even realized when I booked the itinerary.)

Your cruise sounds wonderful-- Continue to enjoy!

poss - can't believe that you remember the jacket I bought.:D Actually it is from Amazon.com (got Dennis one too). They are as light as a feather and cost less than $50. They scrunch up in your luggage and come out looking great. As you likely know, I don't like my photograph to be on CC for many reasons. However, Dennis took this shot that I sent to the company that makes the item on my wrist, I thought it hid enough of me that I could post it. It was windy and cold but the jacket kept me warm (I was also using the warming function on my wrist which helped).

The food in La Veranda has not been up to expectations which is surprising. We really enjoyed Signatures the other day and are dining there again this evening. Signatures had not been one of our favorite places to dine but is great on this particular cruise. Compass Rose remains consistent (even though we didn't care for the Maine lobster).

I remain very happy about how excursions are beginning (outside of the ship rather than stuffed in the theater). IMO, most excursions in Alaska are quite good (better than in some other parts of the world).

I called this a "Mini Blog" because I knew that I'd have little to say. I could take a photo of the infamous bathtub but you really can't tell by looking at it that it is a challenge to get out of.

Need to mention one person onboard because he is definitely a rising star and people may want to look for him if they board the Mariner this year. Preston is a sommelier in CR at night. He goes above and beyond for passengers whenever there is an opportunity to do so (and even when it isn't his job). When he noticed us sitting and waiting for Zaldy (our "adopted" Regent son) he took it upon himself to find him. We were sitting near the exit and Preston was walking from one part of the crew quarters to another and just wanted to know if everything was okay! He is a delightful young man and we are thrilled that he will still be onboard in November. It took him 2 days to learn that I drink a glass of tawny port after dinner. Now he presents it when he sees that we have the dessert menu! He will definitely be written up on our end of cruise questionnaire.

That is all for now. Apologize if it is overly boring!

Today we are in Sitka and it is raining and foggy. We cancelled our tour that went to see otters (love that excursion - have done it before). We saw a long line of people getting onto the boat (holding umbrellas). It appears that they were all able to get into covered areas but there is likely little to no heat on the boat). We're happy to be onboard the ship.

For us, this cruise is about relaxing - not going off of the ship a lot. We'll be doing plenty of active things on the Mariner in November for 25 nights. I truly love sitting on the sofa - looking out at the sea (sometimes seeing salmon jumping and waiting for a whale or two).

NEWS FLASH from Mariner. Rains have caused the roads to become impassible. People in town or on tours cannot return to the ship on the roads. Instead, they will be brought back to the 1ship via boat (extremely poor visibility). Hoping that everyone returns safely to the Mariner. And, although I can't speak for everyone, let's get the heck out of here

Oh, my, Tc! Sorry to hear about the flooding. May all be safe there.

And here we sit, in SW Florida, prepping for a possible Irma hit. What IS this world coming to? All very scary.

I hope the rest of your cruise continues to be yummy and relaxing.

Ut oh.....hoping everyone will be safe and get back to the ship without too much fuss......please continue to keep us posted!

You most definately made the correct decision to stay aboard !

The Mariner is back on the high seas where the seas are a bit choppy. If I hear any stories tonight, I'll report back. We are going full speed ahead as the storm from Japan is right behind us.

poss: thoughts and prayers for everyone in Florida -- hope that the hurricane veers off track into the sea and disappears.