Canada/New England Cruise

Cruiser-66

We would like to do the Canada/New England cruise next year. Fall color is a big thing for me! What would be the best date to see the color? I'm afraid of missing it. Haven't heard much about this cruise. Information from someone who's taken it would be great!!

We would like to do the Canada/New England cruise next year. Fall color is a big thing for me! What would be the best date to see the color? I'm afraid of missing it. Haven't heard much about this cruise. Information from someone who's taken it would be great!!

We did that cruise on the Regal out of NYC last October. Knowing the best time is a guess at best. We did mid October and hit peak color. Check past patterns and roll the dice, good luck. Great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The later the better. I did a Montreal-Ft Lauderdale repo on another line a few years ago the last two weeks of October (was in Bar Harbor Sunday of Columbus Day weekend with two other ships and bus after bus of kids on field trips :eek:) and most everything was green as can be.

Look at this website:

https://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.php/foliage-reports/foliage-reports-northeast-us

You can see historical data. It appears mid to late October seems to be best. I went once and we hit prime color in Boston on Halloween. I cruised once on October 15th and was early. It changes every year - so look at past years for the ports you are going to.

We have done three New England and Canada cruises and really it is impossible to predict whether those lovely maples will turn at any given time. The thumb rule is Columbus day (Oct 11) may be the right timing (if we still allowed to celebrate that day by the new PC Taliban). The Canada and New England cruises entail a goodly amount of territory so if you do go earlier than mid October you may catch some good color in Canada. Later than mid October could get you some color in the US portion.

Having been to college in MA I can say that prime color there was about 10/15. We were in Saint John around 10/20 and it was also in prime color. It seems to me that further inland the color changes a bit faster whereas all the way up to coast it is more delayed so when central MA is in prime color, so is southern coastal Canada.

I wouldn't want to risk waiting as far as Halloween...that was past peak in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having been to college in MA I can say that prime color there was about 10/15. We were in Saint John around 10/20 and it was also in prime color. It seems to me that further inland the color changes a bit faster whereas all the way up to coast it is more delayed so when central MA is in prime color, so is southern coastal Canada.

I wouldn't want to risk waiting as far as Halloween...that was past peak in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was surprised Halloween was peak for Boston that year. I was just surprised the year I went on Oct 15 (from NYC RT), I was early. I then left October 22 or so from Quebec, we were past peak in Quebec (it snowed), we hit Boston on Halloween and it was peak and then as we went further South, we were early.

Everything I read puts October 15 as a magical date or so (on that fall foliage network link I posted above). My research also showed what you mentioned that the coast changes later than inland.

I have lived in the Boston area my entire life and peak color in Boston is around Halloween. I have never seen the foliage at peak on October 15 in Boston. In fact most of the leaves are still green. The foliage starts turning in upper New England inland first then spreads down towards the coast. North Conway area of New Hampshire is usually at peak at the 2nd week of October. It is true that the more you go inland the quicker the color peaks. 3rd week of October central Massachusetts is beautiful. If you have never seen the foliage the mountains of New Hampshire in mid October is breathtaking

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the QC to NYC cruise the first of October 2015. Someone forgot to tell the trees that it was time to change colors. The natives in the various ports told us that the fall colors were two weeks late and that they had had warm weather up until the end of September. As others have said you roll the dice and hope for the best. We will just have to sacrifice and do the cruise again soon.

Baystate it depends where you live in MA as to when the foliage turns. We go to North Conway NH every year in Columbus Day weekend and 90% of the time it is at peak and our trees are are half green half turning. I live on the coast right next to Boston and our leaves turn at the end of October.

Baystate it depends where you live in MA as to when the foliage turns. We go to North Conway NH every year in Columbus Day weekend and 90% of the time it is at peak and our trees are are half green half turning. I live on the coast right next to Boston and our leaves turn at the end of October.

Hi Sammy&j,

I live on the coast too, but on the South Shore.

Have a good weekend and if that hurricane comes our way next weekend stay safe. :)

Hi Sammy&j,

I live on the coast too, but on the South Shore.

Have a good weekend and if that hurricane comes our way next weekend stay safe. :)

Where on the south shore? I am a north shore girl in Revere.