Rick Steves in Santorini

onebyside

Love his show, & love his guide books even more. He is a plain talker who seems like a really nice person. I saw one of his shows about what goes on behind the scenes, abd working around weather. He travels light with a bare bones crew.

Love his show, & love his guide books even more. He is a plain talker who seems like a really nice person. I saw one of his shows about what goes on behind the scenes, abd working around weather. He travels light with a bare bones crew.

I wouldn't say that he's a plain talker and his travel strategies aren't all that great for the conventional traveler. Mark Wolters, on the other hand, who has a growing internet following, offers great advice for all travelers, including those on a budget, and is much more practical. He's on twitter, instagram, and his youtube channel is great. He also takes cruises, covers the US, Europe, and beyond and enjoys them and is much funnier than Steves.

YES!! Fun, exciting photo and experience with Rick Steves, plus the other posts from the ship encounters with him. Interesting to know that Rick is fairly tall. Have always enjoyed his TV shows and practical approach to travel. Great sharing here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 227,221 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

DH and I are fans of his travel philosophy. We have used his books to travel extensively on our own in Europe, staying in quaint back door hotels and eating in restaurants far from the tourist areas. We have also taken eight of his fantastic group tours.

Our first tour with his company was a bit of a learning experience because each group member is only allowed one carry on bag plus a day bag for luggage. Since the first tour, we embraced this traveling light approach with gusto and now never carry more than one carry on bag each no matter how long the trip and never check luggage. We even follow this approach on cruises with formal wear requirements. We have found that this way of traveling has greatly enhanced our enjoyment of each trip.

I wonder if he is on the cruise with only one carry on bag!

He gets around :) about three weeks ago he came in my exhibition centre, seemed a little shocked that people in a tiny village in Loch Ness knew who he was! Thankfully he loved the exhibition, Great guy :D

A little off topic, but Just visited Dunrobin castle in your neck of the woods last week. Very lovely and loved the falcon show.

I also live in LA in the Brentwood/Beverly Hills area so used to seeing very famous people every day around here. But still would have been impressed to meet Rick Steves. He seems very gracious and not full of himself like some people.

We were the group that met him at the Lawn club. He was very nice.

Mostly we use his books for restaurants - the choices are always good.

Also, his book told us how to get a tour of the Reichstag in Berlin. It was a big highlight of our trip (this was a few years ago).