Most travelled passengers luncheon - 7 night cruise

NSWP

Our tablemates made the cut last month on a 12-day British isles cruise on the Caribbean Princess. It was a cocktail party. They had around 365 days. There were 160 Elites on that cruise, and we did not make the cut. But we're getting closer.

Our tablemates made the cut last month on a 12-day British isles cruise on the Caribbean Princess. It was a cocktail party. They had around 365 days. There were 160 Elites on that cruise, and we did not make the cut. But we're getting closer.

We were invited to this cocktail party and had our picture taken with the Captain as we entered. We were then seated at a table while a steady stream of appetizers were offered. Since this was also Italian and Baked Alaska night we had already been to dinner and declined most of the appetizers. A couple of ship’s officers sat down and made small talk. We found the event uncomfortable and boring. I doubt we would attend again if invited.

On one Alaska seven-day cruise, we were given vouchers for a free meal at one of the surcharge restaurants (of our choice), rather than a luncheon or cocktail party with the captain. That was my favorite way to be acknowledged!

To me that is not recognition. You are given something that any passenger can go to if they pay the fee. And many do not need to pay any fee because they received vouchers as a booking amenity from Princess or from their travel agent.

The MTP luncheon or cocktail party is a unique experience the other 3000+ passengers cannot also have.

We were invited to this cocktail party and had our picture taken with the Captain as we entered. We were then seated at a table while a steady stream of appetizers were offered. Since this was also Italian and Baked Alaska night we had already been to dinner and declined most of the appetizers. A couple of ship’s officers sat down and made small talk. We found the event uncomfortable and boring. I doubt we would attend again if invited.

We used to feel similar but now we have attended maybe 50 MTP events we actually know many of the officers and they know us and we have some reminiscences and other things to chat about.

It is surprising what you are told by senior officers when they feel comfortable with you.

And you get to meet some very interesting and sociable well travelled fellow passengers. And if you find that boring then I am sorry for you.

But there is no compulsion to go so just turn it down next time and give someone else the chance to attend, they will be most grateful.

Apart from anything else its a chance to try a few of the most expensive cocktails for free...................

We appreciate either event but maybe contrary to others, we like the cocktail party better than the lunch. The cocktail party allows you to talk to a number of other passengers and staff, where at the lunch you are pretty much restricted to those at your table.

We have been invited to 3 MTP early evening cocktail parties. The first was on an October 2016 7-day New England/Canada cruise. At that time we had only about 250 days aboard Princess. The other two were on each segment of a July 2017 back-to-back 12-day British Isles cruise. We were still below 300 days when the second segment began.

We enjoyed each party and talking to the captain was interesting and also fun. We have a 28-day cruise booked for the future and that cruise might have a luncheon. However, that cruise will have a lot of Elite cruisers aboard, so I don't expect to be among the top 40 most traveled passengers.