Update from the Oasis

Currently on the ship in Cozumel and departing in a few minutes, was supposed to sail two days for Orlando on Tuesday but captain just announced that we're leaving tonight for Costa Maya. Plan is to stay there tomorrow's then two days sailing back to Orlando.

They've raised the price of internet and those who were told it would be extended at no charge learned today that's no longer the case. Half price laundry and drink packages though for those who drink.

The captain announced earlier that the medical staff would "assist with getting meds" but after waiting 1.5 hours to ask if they had metformin I learned there's a $147 charge for consultation then $ for the meds. I'll see if I can locate any on my own tomorrow but doubtful since its a Sunday.

While I appreciate the extra days I'm concerned about a lack of airport and really wish we could port somewhere in the states to get a decent priced flight instead of the $2,000 each from Mexico. :(

$147 consultation. Great service Royal, way to take care of people in need. What a freaking shame. I can't even put into words how disappointed I've been with Royals' handling of these 2 hurricanes. It's radically adjusting my perception of them.

$147 consultation. Great service Royal, way to take care of people in need. What a freaking shame. I can't even put into words how disappointed I've been with Royals' handling of these 2 hurricanes. It's radically adjusting my perception of them.

Royal is not responsible for the hurricane. They're not responsible for people not bringing enough medication to cover the unexpected. They're already doing a hell of lot giving free credits / refunds / OBC where possible. They're a business and they're not going to give every penny back to the consumer.

Royal is not responsible for the hurricane. They're not responsible for people not bringing enough medication to cover the unexpected. They're already doing a hell of lot giving free credits / refunds / OBC where possible. They're a business and they're not going to give every penny back to the consumer.

Don't be so easily fooled. They are giving CREDITS vs refunds. Big difference. Why is that important? Because they are still telling people to come to Florida during a hurricane so that they don't have to officially cancel a cruise and give people refunds. Oh, the ship sailed! You missed it... sorry about your luck!!!! Here's a CREDIT, hopefully you can use it.

Scumbags. It's not defensible. Guests are in their care when on board. When things hit the fan, they start whacking these guests for $147 consultations. Yeah, great service. Again, they've done NOTHING decent. Nothing. They are trying to get crafty with how they present credits/obc and it's obviously working with people like you. But they are screwing these guests, period.

No offense but charging people $147 to see a doctor, who is already on staff, in order to obtain live saving medicine is a completely unnecessary profit-making move. I'd understand the normal fee for typical cruise-related illnesses or injuries, but it should be waved or a special set period of consultation should be arranged for those in need of medicine.

As for the poster trying to obtain some, Costa Maya is pretty baron. It's not like Cozumel.

If I'm hurt or ill and see the onboard doctor I have no problem paying the fed but when the captain says the med staff will assist in getting meds and all I need is 4 metformin pills I see no reason to pay for a full medical visit. I brought 2 days extra and it's my fault for not bringing more so I'll just go without if I can't find locally because I'm not paying that fee. I do think the captain could have worded it a bit differently however, but that's just my opinion.

Don't be so easily fooled. They are giving CREDITS vs refunds. Big difference. Why is that important? Because they are still telling people to come to Florida during a hurricane so that they don't have to officially cancel a cruise and give people refunds. Oh, the ship sailed! You missed it... sorry about your luck!!!! Here's a CREDIT, hopefully you can use it.

Scumbags. It's not defensible. Guests are in their care when on board. When things hit the fan, they start whacking these guests for $147 consultations. Yeah, great service. Again, they've done NOTHING decent. Nothing. They are trying to get crafty with how they present credits/obc and it's obviously working with people like you. But they are screwing these guests, period.

Wait, one sec. I'm not a cruise line apologist (honestly wish I could just cancel my upcoming first RC sailing), but a few of your statements seem off.

1) I thought RC *is* giving refunds on many of these cruises?

2) For which specific cruises & dates are they telling people to travel during a hurricane?

Again, not remotely a RC cheerleader, and I was jeering at them for Galveston.

"People like me" :)

The UK T&C clearly state the following:

5.10 WHAT ABOUT CIRCUMSTANCES WHICH ARE OUTSIDE YOUR CONTROL?

Except where we specifically say otherwise in these terms and conditions, we cannot accept any liability or pay any compensation where your holiday and/or any other services we have promised to arrange or provide cannot be provided at all,or as promised or you otherwise suffer any damage or loss (as more fully described in clause 5.7 above) as a result ofcircumstances which are outside our control (‘force

majeure’). When we talk about circumstances which are outside our control,we mean any event which we or the supplier of the service in question could not have predicted or avoided even after taking allreasonable care. Such events are likely to include war or threat of war, acts of terrorists or threats of such acts, riots or civil unrest, industrial action, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, adverse weather conditions, health risks, epidemics, mechanicaldifficulties (which we could not have anticipated or avoided despite our normal comprehensive mechanic

al checks) and allsimilar circumstances which are outside our control

I'm sure the US T&C are similar.

Like it or not, these are the T&C you agree to when you book a sailing. All cruise lines will have similar in their contracts. They're already going above their T&C offering credits. The phrase being banded around a lot at the moment is "They should do the right thing". In who's opinion exactly? The consumer is always going to want it to go their way. If these people had travel insurance / medical insurance then the $147 would be covered by that (if the policy covers it). If they don't, who's fault is that ?

People want something for free when it suits them. This is the real world. Companies have things in place at all stages to stop giving away free stuff.

They're offering a full credit for 12 months I believe? I refuse to believe someone cannot find a week sometime in the next 12 months to use this credit in.

If I'm hurt or ill and see the onboard doctor I have no problem paying the fed but when the captain says the med staff will assist in getting meds and all I need is 4 metformin pills I see no reason to pay for a full medical visit. I brought 2 days extra and it's my fault for not bringing more so I'll just go without if I can't find locally because I'm not paying that fee. I do think the captain could have worded it a bit differently however, but that's just my opinion.

If the captain has specifically said the doctor onboard will assist with medicine then I completely agree, their should be no charge, and it's been worded in a way that sounds like it would be free.

If all you need is a few pills, this would take literally seconds for them to pass on to you.

If the captain has specifically said the doctor onboard will assist with medicine then I completely agree, their should be no charge, and it's been worded in a way that sounds like it would be free.

If all you need is a few pills, this would take literally seconds for them to pass on to you.

Yes he did, it was on the TV update but when i told the triage nurse that she just laughed and said they were happy to assist me, but having a consultation and there's a charge for it. Honestly i wouldn't have even gone down there had I not thought they were quickly doing med checks to see what they could or couldn't assist with, no idea it was such a wait and would be a large charge, wish they would have put a sign up or something.

My policy doesn't cover any non PPO visits so I'll wait it out.

Well, if you have trip insurance that has medical, it would reimburse you the cost of the $147 and the cost of the meds.

So, Royal is unfair because they want to charge, but you aren't unfair for not having the appropriate medical insurance to cover this?

There is a lot of unfair going on right now.... St. Martin, St. Thomas, Key West, FL, Southern Texas. Cruise in hurricane season, be surprised when it goes bad.

Did you take this up with either Guest Services or the medical staff? Cruise Critic can't help, but maybe someone on board can help. With a thousand other things going on, maybe it didn't cross their mind.

If you take a look on the Trip Advisor forums for Costa Maya, there might be info about where you can get meds there. I used it when I was sick in Puerto Vallarta last summer. Expats living in the area will post about where you can get things like meds etc.

What the Captain said was that restocking meds in Cozumel might be a good idea but it certainly never occurred to me that it would be free. (neither any consult/prescription or the meds themselves).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, if you have trip insurance that has medical, it would reimburse you the cost of the $147 and the cost of the meds.

So, Royal is unfair because they want to charge, but you aren't unfair for not having the appropriate medical insurance to cover this?

There is a lot of unfair going on right now.... St. Martin, St. Thomas, Key West, FL, Southern Texas. Cruise in hurricane season, be surprised when it goes bad.

Did you take this up with either Guest Services or the medical staff? Cruise Critic can't help, but maybe someone on board can help. With a thousand other things going on, maybe it didn't cross their mind.

Of course I didn't, my question was asked and answered by them. How am I unfair? I don't understand.

What the Captain said was that restocking meds in Cozumel might be a good idea but it certainly never occurred to me that it would be free. (neither any consult/prescription or the meds themselves).

Correct, and that the medical staff would be happy to assist us.

I didn't expect free help or free meds, geesh. I was just sticker shocked.

This place is brutal. :o

I thought offering ships to evacuees and supplying islands with supplies has been a pretty good move. Thumbs up ROYAL. FYI, trip insurance would pay for medical services onboard in addition to travel related expenses

Another good thing to plan for. I always bring at least another 30 days of meds with me, just in case. Don't know if it's the ARMY(Ret) be prepared or I'm just older... OP, thanks for follow-up that you weren't upset about being charged, just sticker shock. It's Ironic that the $147 is what my Dr office charges for a visit when I refill my meds every 3 months. The amount must be an industry average rate...

Edited by ONECRUISER

. I was just sticker shocked.o

Many Americans are ignorant of the cost of medical care due to reliance on insurance. The cost quoted is probably the going rate for most docs in the US. The diff is that unlike a land based doc, RCI probably won't negotiate when paying cash.

They've raised the price of internet and those who were told it would be extended at no charge learned today that's no longer the case. :(

While the "normal" VOOM package are no longer available, the free 60 minutes package is still there along with a new lower cost choice for 24 hours at $16 (normally $20).

Also on oasis. I do not know the medication the OP needs however, we have been in Cozumel for two days and there were numerous medications available with no prescription. Shops everywhere.

Honestly, I don't believe the cruise ship is doing very much for us. Of course, they are keeping us safe and that is the most important. And there's plenty of food.

Every passenger at this point likely has to occur a variety of additional expenses. I am amazed that they are not even providing complementary Internet. They are giving a few 30 minute sessions but that is it. Many people have to conduct business being away from their offices, have to speak with their elderly parents or children far away.

They have offered a few items at some % off – wash and fold and some drinks at a percent off.

We are now expecting a return on Wednesday

M

Let me give a scenario or 2 that might be why they need to consult. What if I walked in and said I need some opioids, valium, ritalin, adderall, etc (types of medicine that many people abuse) sell or what ever. I can see the doctor now saying, sure here you go! I don't think so.

Also can you imagine the lawsuits if they give you the wrong thing and you have issues - sue city!

I wish it wouldn't be so expensive, but have you gone and spoken to guest services to make sure it's working like it's supposed to?