Upcoming cruise concerns

vcloutie

we are suppose to set sail out of port canaveral with carnival cruise for an eastern Caribbean cruise to St marteen,St Kitts and San Juan which all three islands were hit. The cruise is suppose to leave in 9-16-17 and we live in Michigan the cruise line will not let us know until the 14th what our choices are. So here we are driving to Florida and there are no hotels to be found and very little gas. We really should not be here. Unhappy cruiser Virginia

St Kitts and San Juan received minor damage and both ports are open. St Martin was destroyed and damage is extensive. The pier received extensive damage. It will be months before a cruise ship ports in St Martin.Many ships will do Western Caribbean sailings until damage is repaired in the affected ports.

Fascination sailings are going to San Juan and St Kitts so you'll probably still go to those. The itinerary for the Fascination's last three days are Antigua, St Kitts, San Juan so that may be an option for your sailing. This is just a guess on my part. Regardless of where you go, you'll have fun!

I am on a St Martin sailing forum, yes it's destroyed. Most are saying the 2017-2018 high season is not going to happen. The airport is currently being operated by the Dutch military. Only emergency aircraft are being permitted. Thousands are homeless and looting is rampant. We love this island so much, one of Caribbean favorites. A year would be fair assessment until some normalcy is restored

OP you didn't say which ship you are on, but based on the date, the port and the islands, I'm guessing Magic. If so, Carnival just announced the new ports your cruise will be stopping at... if I guessed wrong, check the Carnival site- they have updated most changes as of an hour ago.

Carnival Magic – September 16

Departing Port Canaveral for an 8 day cruise to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts, and Antigua

The entire island is NOT destroyed!

Really?? The news shows about 90% of the island destroyed and damaged.

I would say extensive and a long time to come back. The videos they are showing are devastating damage...people are being evacuated and there is a 24 hr curfew with the military in control right now.

we are suppose to set sail out of port canaveral with carnival cruise for an eastern Caribbean cruise to St marteen,St Kitts and San Juan which all three islands were hit. The cruise is suppose to leave in 9-16-17 and we live in Michigan the cruise line will not let us know until the 14th what our choices are. So here we are driving to Florida and there are no hotels to be found and very little gas. We really should not be here. Unhappy cruiser Virginia

You will just go to different ports.

You will not have a problem getting gas. The Orlando area did not have major damage and there in no gas shortage in that part of the state. Down lower towards the keys gas could be a problem but not where you are going. You can Fill up in GA before you get into FL if that will ease your mind. Go on your cruise and have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are you driving? If so, Florida is a big state, and you might want to broaden your search for hotels. There are plenty available in Florida. Just stay away from the coast, and pick cities that are not on the coast, or Orlando. Plus at any time, rooms can open up. As far as gas, Florida has gas, but a very large number of people are on the main highways. Fill up your car before Florida, and bring an extra 5 gallon gas can from home, and you will be fine.

You will not have a problem getting gas. The Orlando area did not have major damage and there in no gas shortage in that part of the state. Down lower towards the keys gas could be a problem but not where you are going. You can Fill up in GA before you get into FL if that will ease your mind. Go on your cruise and have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If anyone will be traveling back to FL via I95 South please be aware that there are some exit closures in GA.

Glynn County in Georgia has “extreme flooding” from Irma, which has necessitated closing exits, law enforcement said.

While I-95 north and south are open, exits 42, 38, 36A, 36B, 29, 26, 14 and 7 are currently closed. That means all exits from 42 to the Florida state line are closed. Drivers can stop at exits 14, 6, 3 and 1 for gas and other essential items.

Also I75 near Gainesville may be closed due to possible flooding. There is a detour.

Please stop with the theatrics and hyperbole! It is irresponsible. ST Maarten has not been "destroyed". Yes it suffered extensive damage which is still being investigated and no one can say at this point when they will be able to resume accepting cruise ship calls.

To The OP : our cruise should still happen, no problem. Port Canaveral has re-opened for business along with the other Florida ports. Both San Juan and St Kitts are open for business and accepting ships. ST Kitts had very little damage and most of what has been reported for Puerto Rico is downed trees and some downed power lines, but no structural damage or issues in Old San Juan. With regards to St Maarten, ships are being diverted to alternate ports or having an additional sea day added for now.

Do you think St Maarten may be ready in time for a cruise November 2018??

It is impossible to say, but no one wants that more than the people who live there. Tourism accounts for about 80% of the economy and 80% of the labor force, so if they're not ready for visitors they're going to be have a hard time buying so much of what they desperately need to survive day-to-day, much less rebuild what has been lost.

Please stop with the theatrics and hyperbole! It is irresponsible. ST Maarten has not been "destroyed". Yes it suffered extensive damage which is still being investigated and no one can say at this point when they will be able to resume accepting cruise ship calls.
I agree that there is a troubling amount of hyperbole going around. While many facilities on the island may have been destroyed the island has not been. And the hyperbole helps no one. It surely doesn't help the islanders as it fosters in the minds of casual readers an impression that they will want to avoid visiting the island for many years to come, visits that the island desperately needs so that 80% of its people can make ends meet. It doesn't help cruise passengers since it projects a distorted impression of just how long it will be until the island can again offer wonderful experiences for visitors.

Really?? The news shows about 90% of the island destroyed and damaged.

I would say extensive and a long time to come back. The videos they are showing are devastating damage...people are being evacuated and there is a 24 hr curfew with the military in control right now.

What exactly is a 24 HR curfew?

What exactly is a 24 HR curfew?

https://www.sxm-talks.com/the-daily-herald/government-lifts-curfew/

"PHILIPSBURG–The Government announced on Tuesday that they are lifting the 24-hour curfew from 8:00am–3:00pm starting September 13, 2017.

This decision will be valid until further notice. The curfew was put in place last week Thursday after Prime Minister William Marlin declared a state of emergency post Hurricane Irma.

As a reminder all persons who do not have a disaster/emergency pass or were given permission to be on the road during curfew must stay off the road from 3:00pm-8:00am. Persons who violate the curfew will be arrested on the spot."

Back to the OP's concerns: According to local news (I live in Florida, an hour north of Tampa), refueling the service areas along the interstates are a priority to aid the return the return of large numbers of Floridians who evacuated and heading back south to their homes.

If you are driving from Michigan, I am assuming you will eventually hit I-75. Am alternate route would be Rte 301. It parallels I-75 and there is an entrance onto the Florida Turnpike to take you over to the coast. Make sure you observe the speed limits on Rte 301 (actually, anywhere in Florida - with no state income tax we need to get money from somewhere).