Points for a no show?

HicksRA

Pretty good deal. Seems she is better off (point wise) sailing without you!

I heard that those on the extended extra 3 night sailing will get points for the extra nights. I'll believe it when I see it!

M

We should know soon enough. The complex issue is those that did back 2 back. If they get 10 nights for first leg, I doubt they will get 7 nights for the second leg. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I try and not use the word double

True, you quoted someone who said double and replied Yep. So I agree, you did not use the word double, your quote and affirmative yes simply implied it.

It's actually a 4 night cruise, 5 days

Oh, guess your post saying 4 days was a typo.

True, you quoted someone who said double and replied Yep. So I agree, you did not use the word double, your quote and affirmative yes simply implied it.

Oh, guess your post saying 4 days was a typo.

It's 4 sea days. I mean really, Royal advertises a one week cruise as 7 days. You seem to be argumentative.

Sorry, I've been around a while and have never heard of that. Ever.

You never asked me! I've been around a while also. 38+ cruises. We only had cruised about half of that time when this happened. Shall I send my cruise history showing the cruise we missed but still were given points? (After asking!)

I have also never heard of that. We could not make a cruise in Dec. 2010 and had no insurance. Our TA called RCI and C&A many times trying to get ANYTHING, and we were completely denied. If you could get cruise points by just buying cheap cruises and never going on them, They would lose out on tons of shipboard revenue.

1. We didn't use a TA. Contacted C & A directly.

2. We didn't ask for anything but the points for the cruise we were unable to make.

3. It was not a cheap cruise.

You never asked me! I've been around a while also. 38+ cruises. We only had cruised about half of that time when this happened. Shall I send my cruise history showing the cruise we missed but still were given points? (After asking!)

Well if you been on 38+ cruises, things might have definitely changed in that time. And I've also been cruising for just under 30 years, and a lot has changed in that time. The cruise we missed was in 2010, and they were pretty A stone wall in terms of anything back other than the taxes and port fees.

What year did they give you those points?

I can almost guarantee with nearly 99.9999% certainty, they would not be giving free points in this day and age. They've gotten significantly tighter around the belt just in the last seven years. If they did give you points between 2010-2017, congrats to you, as getting anything from Royal Caribbean that is not expressly stated in their cruise contract in the last seven years has been near impossible. Back in the 80s and 90s, I would not have doubted your response. However, in the modern age of cruising, things are significantly different as you well know.

Can't tell if you are trying to be funny, lightening things up or just posting cause you are bored.

Probably all three. But you have offered to prove something no one on CC has ever heard of. And the subject has come up before.

BTW, I kind of felt bad about the post, so I asked for it to be deleted about an hour after I wrote it.

I don't mean to question your integrity.

And I get my free points because my wife cruised solo a lot before I retired. In fact she's solo on Oasis now because I had to stay home and deal with Irma

Well if you been on 38+ cruises, things might have definitely changed in that time. And I've also been cruising for just under 30 years, and a lot has changed in that time. The cruise we missed was in 2010, and they were pretty A stone wall in terms of anything back other than the taxes and port fees.

What year did they give you those points?

I can almost guarantee with nearly 99.9999% certainty, they would not be giving free points in this day and age. They've gotten significantly tighter around the belt just in the last seven years. If they did give you points between 2010-2017, congrats to you, as getting anything from Royal Caribbean that is not expressly stated in their cruise contract in the last seven years has been near impossible. Back in the 80s and 90s, I would not have doubted your response. However, in the modern age of cruising, things are significantly different as you well know.

Thank you for the reply. Boarded the Adventure in Sam Juan today, but I will check my cruise history when we are back and let you know. If I had to guess I would say it was 19-20 years ago. And, I imagine you are right about it not happening today. I was only suggested to the OP that it only takes a little bit of time to call ask. One thing we all know for sure about RCCL is that any questions asked by different callers can have various answers from various staff members. Gotta get ready for the muster drill.

Thank you for the reply. Boarded the Adventure in Sam Juan today, but I will check my cruise history when we are back and let you know. If I had to guess I would say it was 19-20 years ago. And, I imagine you are right about it not happening today. I was only suggested to the OP that it only takes a little bit of time to call ask. One thing we all know for sure about RCCL is that any questions asked by different callers can have various answers from various staff members. Gotta get ready for the muster drill.

In 1997, I would not doubt that they would have been willing to give you some points if you called and got rider different kind an anchor reps. Customer service back then was incredibly accommodating . Back then the diamond plus benefits also seem to vary very widely. In this day and age, they are nearly to the letter based on what they state they will provide.

I have also never heard of that. We could not make a cruise in Dec. 2010 and had no insurance. Our TA called RCI and C&A many times trying to get ANYTHING, and we were completely denied. If you could get cruise points by just buying cheap cruises and never going on them, They would lose out on tons of shipboard revenue.

I can't see too many people buying a cheap cruise and not going on it just to get points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see too many people buying a cheap cruise and not going on it just to get points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be unlikely except on the super cheap TA's. I would definitely consider booking a cheap inside to get 14 points or a cheap suite to get 28 points. Could get to pinnacle in no time by doing that, or get to diamond in 3 cruises having never spent a dime, other than your cruise fare. Without grats or airfare, it would be incredibly cheap to "buy" points.

It would be unlikely except on the super cheap TA's. I would definitely consider booking a cheap inside to get 14 points or a cheap suite to get 28 points. Could get to pinnacle in no time by doing that, or get to diamond in 3 cruises having never spent a dime, other than your cruise fare. Without grats or airfare, it would be incredibly cheap to "buy" points.

Not very ethical on what you are suggesting. Why not just take the cruise and enjoy your vacation.

Not very ethical on what you are suggesting. Why not just take the cruise and enjoy your vacation.

I personally wouldnt do it, but was saying it would be tempting if they did allow it. If they did allow it then it would not be an ethics issue, as they are acknowledging that it is allowed. How is it "unethical" if you buy a cruise, dont go on it, are a no show in the system, and you call up C&A asking for points and they say "OK, we will give you the points." There were no lies, and they approved the points.

Obviously, most people would rather take the vacation AND points, but time is the most valuable commodity for almost anyone, and time is what it takes to build up points in the current system.

As for what is the reason to buy points, it is the same reason people buy airline miles. To boost their status on the membership tier. Airlines have been doing this for years. They sell their miles for a much higher rate than they are worth, and many people happily pay. Sometimes someone is just 1,000 miles from a free flight, they then buy the miles to make up the difference. I am sure some people are just 1 credit from their "free cruise", in this case they might deem it worth it to buy the point to get them the cruise. Or if someone is 1 point from Diamond, in my mind, based on the price per point and length of my next cruise, I would consider buying a point to have access to the D lounge on a 14 night TA, as the cost of alcohol will offset the cost of the point purchase. It is very situational, but in some cases could make sense.

Am I saying it is economical, not likely in most situations, but there are times when running some numbers and the price for the point where it could become a more reasonable option.

Unless RCI has recently changed the rules, Cruise Points will not be given for missed cruises. According to the C&A terms: CRUISE POINTS WILL BE ACCRUED AT THE END OF EACH COMPLETED SAILING. The "Completed Cruise" words are stressed before anyone can reach the next C&A level.

The C&A terms also state that: "C&A membership can be terminated if RCI determines (in their sole discretion) for anyone appearing to be utilizing the Program in a manner inconsistent with its terms, condition and intent."

Unless RCI has recently changed the rules, Cruise Points will not be given for missed cruises. According to the C&A terms: CRUISE POINTS WILL BE ACCRUED AT THE END OF EACH COMPLETED SAILING. The "Completed Cruise" words are stressed before anyone can reach the next C&A level.

The C&A terms also state that: "C&A membership can be terminated if RCI determines (in their sole discretion) for anyone appearing to be utilizing the Program in a manner inconsistent with its terms, condition and intent."

I don't think that was a recent change. I'm pretty sure that's a long-standing tradition, at least from my experience and most on this board.

The point is that throughout this thread someone stated they received points for a cruise they did not go on. I do not think it was "unethical" for them to receive those points if RCI knowingly gave them to them. Also, even with this current policy if RCI decided to out of the goodness of their hearts to give someone some points for whatever reason without going on a cruise, I dont think that would be unethical. Yoi argued that receiving points that a company has decided to give you is "unethical", which I think is some pretty strong wording considering the company would have approved the points and are aware you did not go on the cruise.

The point is that throughout this thread someone stated they received points for a cruise they did not go on. I do not think it was "unethical" for them to receive those points if RCI knowingly gave them to them. Also, even with this current policy if RCI decided to out of the goodness of their hearts to give someone some points for whatever reason without going on a cruise, I dont think that would be unethical. Yoi argued that receiving points that a company has decided to give you is "unethical", which I think is some pretty strong wording considering the company would have approved the points and are aware you did not go on the cruise.

I was not talking about those cases when RCI knowingly gave points to someone who missed a cruise. RCI obviously has the right to waive their rules regarding "cruise points will be accrued at the end of each completed sailing".

I stand by my point that I consider it unethical for someone to book a low cost cruise with no intention of ever taking that cruise just to get the Cruise Points. The word "unethical" has many definitions, but one of them is "unwilling to adhere to proper rules" or trying to game the system which may be considered as deceitful and dishonest.

I was not talking about those cases when RCI knowingly gave points to someone who missed a cruise. RCI obviously has the right to waive their rules regarding "cruise points will be accrued at the end of each completed sailing".

I stand by my point that I consider it unethical for someone to book a low cost cruise with no intention of ever taking that cruise just to get the Cruise Points. The word "unethical" has many definitions, but one of them is "unwilling to adhere to proper rules" or trying to game the system which may be considered as deceitful and dishonest.

If RCI were to allow buying of points or booking cruises to get points, I do not believe that to be "unethical". As it stands, if someone were to book a cruise with the intent of not going on it, based on current rules, I would agree that it is unethical, but they would not get the points anyway as RCI would likely not give any points.

I would not doubt that RCI will start selling points in the future as almost every other rewards program has started selling mile, points, etc. to increase their revenue streams. Some programs you can buy your way to the top, and sometimes they separate points you buy from points you earn to truly make you earn their loyalty by flying or staying the night.

Given RCI's current trajectory, it is only a matter of time till they start selling points, or letting you pay more to boost your points at time of booking. They already do this to some degree with the double points for suites and singles. Eventually for an extra "X" dollar amount I bet they will let you get double points on an inside stateroom. I would be shocked if it hasnt at least been discussed at this point in their meetings.

If RCI were to allow buying of points or booking cruises to get points, I do not believe that to be "unethical". As it stands, if someone were to book a cruise with the intent of not going on it, based on current rules, I would agree that it is unethical, but they would not get the points anyway as RCI would likely not give any points.

I would not doubt that RCI will start selling points in the future as almost every other rewards program has started selling mile, points, etc. to increase their revenue streams. Some programs you can buy your way to the top, and sometimes they separate points you buy from points you earn to truly make you earn their loyalty by flying or staying the night.

Given RCI's current trajectory, it is only a matter of time till they start selling points, or letting you pay more to boost your points at time of booking. They already do this to some degree with the double points for suites and singles. Eventually for an extra "X" dollar amount I bet they will let you get double points on an inside stateroom. I would be shocked if it hasnt at least been discussed at this point in their meetings.

Yes, there is a potential that RCI will some day do what you are saying. Sure hope RCI does not start selling points, as this will diminish the value of each C&A level. We took lots of cruises to earn our PC level, and I truly enjoyed every cruise day.