Thoughts on changing Eastern to Westerns for November on

sunny2runner

Are you on NCL for the 10 day? Princess has updated passengers on their 10 southern Caribbean in October that they will be sailing to St. Croix, Martinque and Grenada instead of St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Tortola.

Yes, on NCL's Jade 10 day and as of today, I haven't been notified of a change. I guess we have to keep waiting.

I don't think NCL can stop at those ports you mentioned, no contracts??

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're scheduled for Nov. 27th. on a 10 day Southern Caribbean leaving from Miami with stops in PR, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Marteen. We haven't heard of a change to our itinerary but if they do, I hope it's not for a Western Caribbean. I know 2 of the ports have been severly damaged, it would be nice if they'd do the ABC islands.

of course even if your itinerary isn't changed to the west, you will not hit St Thomas or ST Martin. I am sure you already know this.

of course even if your itinerary isn't changed to the west, you will not hit St Thomas or ST Martin. I am sure you already know this.

Yes, the damage is grave in those places. Evacuations and survival come before recovery can start. We are just hoping for substitutions that allow us to keep the four unaffected ports and sub some others rather than sending the Jade to the Western. Grand Stirrup Cay is one option...not sure how many go there on any given day, but contracts shouldn't be a problem there.

We have not yet been notified of changes so just hoping we can keep the four ports and that they will sub something else.

This was posted on the Celebrity board, showing that Royal Caribbean has decided to make some changes on upcoming cruises and they expect Celebrity to follow suit.

Adventure of the Seas:

9/16, 10/7 – St. Maarten to St. Croix

9/23 – St. Thomas to Bonaire

9/30 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/14 – St. Thomas to St. Croix

Allure of the Seas:

9/17 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/1 – St. Thomas to Labadee

10/15 – St. Maarten to Labadee

Enchantment of the Seas:

9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/9 – Key West to Freeport

Harmony of the Seas:

9/23 – St. Thomas to St. Kitts

10/7 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

Oasis of the Seas:

9/24 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/8 – St. Maarten to Nassau

bosco

Yes, I already know, been reading all kinds of news/blogs.

I (we, my family) don't really want to go Western. There are more Ports NCL could substitute for those 2 instead of completely changing the itinerary.

[emoji1308][emoji1308]

Yes, the damage is grave in those places. Evacuations and survival come before recovery can start. We are just hoping for substitutions that allow us to keep the four unaffected ports and sub some others rather than sending the Jade to the Western. Grand Stirrup Cay is one option...not sure how many go there on any given day, but contracts shouldn't be a problem there.

We have not yet been notified of changes so just hoping we can keep the four ports and that they will sub something else.

GSC is an island owned by NCL, no problem with contracts, now how many Ships can be there at the time, who knows, 2, 3?? Could be in the itinerary, but I would prefer something else. I'm with you, hoping to keep the 4 undamaged ports, just add 2 more.

[emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

This was posted on the Celebrity board, showing that Royal Caribbean has decided to make some changes on upcoming cruises and they expect Celebrity to follow suit.

Adventure of the Seas:

9/16, 10/7 – St. Maarten to St. Croix

9/23 – St. Thomas to Bonaire

9/30 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/14 – St. Thomas to St. Croix

Allure of the Seas:

9/17 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/1 – St. Thomas to Labadee

10/15 – St. Maarten to Labadee

Enchantment of the Seas:

9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/9 – Key West to Freeport

Harmony of the Seas:

9/23 – St. Thomas to St. Kitts

10/7 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

Oasis of the Seas:

9/24 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/8 – St. Maarten to Nassau

bosco

Celebrity is starting to announce changes other than all cruises directed to the West:

Celebrity has altered two Equinox itineraries:

9/15 - Key West replaced with Falmouth

9/25 - St. Thomas, Tortola and St. Maarten replaced with San Juan, St. Croix and Martinique

bosco

Roatan

Costa maya

How can you say you hate the western!!! We were scheduled for eastern in October but looking forward to vacation!!

I agree with you, especially Roatan. We have been there many times as well as most islands in the Caribbean. It is probably our favorite. There is a lot to do, it is a pretty island and the natives are friendly for the most part. Also, there is the possibility the ships could do Jamaica, (not my favorite, but a pretty island) GC and a few other spots. There is another new port, Santo Tomas, which is a possibility.

I know, if I were scheduled to do one itinerary and suddenly I had it changed, I wouldn't be excited, but I would be satisfied and look forward to a fun cruise. For us, cruising is more than just the ports.

I agree with you, especially Roatan. We have been there many times as well as most islands in the Caribbean. It is probably our favorite. There is a lot to do, it is a pretty island and the natives are friendly for the most part. Also, there is the possibility the ships could do Jamaica, (not my favorite, but a pretty island) GC and a few other spots. There is another new port, Santo Tomas, which is a possibility.

I know, if I were scheduled to do one itinerary and suddenly I had it changed, I wouldn't be excited, but I would be satisfied and look forward to a fun cruise. For us, cruising is more than just the ports.

We are on the Epic for 11/18 and hoping our Eastern changes to the Western that includes Roatan Island rather than Jamaica. I am good going anywhere but seriously hoping for Roatan Island.

Edited by sunny2runner

I HATE the west itinerary-

I'm on the sept 23 escape cruise

Not happy it got changed at all.

I'm wondering if the 12 night eastern out of NYC is going to west ports also? If that's the case I'm not booking :(

I hope you mean it is really unfortunate that the eastern islands have been devastated, homes and lives lost and that you're praying for the people trying to find food, shelter and water daily. For your part you're willing to sail, sun and sip for a week on the Escape, even if that means you have to endure visiting islands in the western itinerary. NCL also has to do quite a bit of work to reroute ships, change itineraries, find excursions, manage provisions, etc. to provide a quality vacation experience in spite of a natural disaster that they had no control over.

I don't write that to be snarky, but just to take a moment to think about any "complaints" I could have as my Dawn Southern itinerary gets changed. I get to move from one island to another and those on the islands we'll forgo this time are really in difficult situations, rather humbling.

Certainly if you already know the 12 day itinerary won't meet your expectations, don't book. I hope your Escape voyage is wonderful, in spite of the itinerary disappointment.

OP indicated Cozumel can only take 5-6 ships. I believe that number is higher as Cozumel has at least 2 ports and there are probably at least 2 "shifts" per day for docking. On the Dawn Christmas cruise last year there was a chance we would miss Cozumel. NCL did some work and we docked at a different port than we had during my first port visit there.

It would be cool to read about "due to Irma our trip now includes this" kind of thread: atypical islands, excursions, ports, etc. changes NCL made to provide quality vacation experiences. Once I see our itinerary changes I'll certainly be willing to share.

I wouldn't assume current Western itineraries will remain unaffected. There are a lot of moving parts to consider, both within a particular line and between competing lines. For instance, NCL may prefer to have one of its larger ships swap days at a particular port based on bringing in another smaller ship originally slated for an E.Caribbean stop. I understand a limited number of "port stop inventory" availability, maximizing passenger excursion use, etc. I would love to find out the communication & cooperation (or lack of) between lines-- concessions, agreements, quid pro quos, and so on. The logistics are mind-boggling.

LOTS of variables, so my guess is that nothing is in stone right now, including existing W.Caribbean itineraries.

Roatan

Costa maya

How can you say you hate the western!!! We were scheduled for eastern in October but looking forward to vacation!!

Don't hate the western but have done it twice....booked the Jade to go to Domenica and revisit St. Lucia and the rest.

I think we are all concerned about the welfare of the islands but need to make plans for excursions or cancel plans we've already made. Really concerned that there is another storm which could hurt these places even more.

Just heard from our south Florida TA who is finally back to work with power restored there and at home. NCL has apparently been closed for the most part. Perhaps that is why RCCL was ahead of the curve announcing substitute ports and we haven't yet heard from NCL.

I was thinking that no way will Eastern ports be ready in November. St Thomas and Tortola were hit hard and if you read about those going to ports after hurricanes it takes way longer than 2 months to recover.

With Thanksgiving week being the beginning of the busy winter cruise season in the Caribbean and all the cruise lines repositioning ships from Alaska and Europe, that will be a lot of ships trying to get into Western ports.

For instance, Cozumel only has ability to dock 5-6 ships. That week of Thanksgiving most days already have 5-6 ships scheduled to be in port with exception of the beginning of the week.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Mexico/155-Cozumel/November_2017/

So now you have to figure that all the cruise lines that have to switch to Western from Eastern (Disney, NCL, Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, Holland America and Carnival ships)

I think that the cruise lines will have to great creative with itineraries and may not follow previous weeks outline and may include ports that aren't listed on current itineraries like going Costa Maya instead of Cozumel.

We are suppose to do Epic at Thanksgiving and have embraced the idea of going anywhere but hoping NCL gives us 2 to 3 weeks notice so we can plan excursions.

Just thinking out loud

We are sailing on NCL Sky, Nov. 13-17, and they posted a message to me on the NCL sign on page stating that they are antcipating itinerary changes but should (hopefully) have the information to us "within in the next 2 weeks as new port of call are secured" I am curious as to where they may send us, as this is only a 4 night cruise.

NCL put this notice (below) out today. We are on the Norwegian Dawn on Dec 3 from Puerto Rico. I'm sure St Thomas & St Maarten will be cancelled. I just hope Hurricane Maria behaves herself!

September 18th at 10:00 AM (2:00 PM UTC)

Norwegian Cruise Line is heartbroken at the terrible impact Hurricane Irma has had on several islands in the Eastern Caribbean, ports that we have called on since the start of our 50 years in business, some of which are included in the itinerary that you are currently booked on. In the wake of this devastating storm and as part of our recovery efforts, we are working closely with our partners on the ground to determine the best way to continue to provide relief to the areas impacted by and recovering from Hurricane Irma and to determine the extent of damage that Hurricane Irma inflicted. We are anticipating that your current itinerary will be adjusted to ensure your comfort, safety and an outstanding guest experience. We anticipate having this information to you within the next two weeks as new ports of call are secured.

We appreciate your patience during this very difficult time. At Norwegian Cruise Line safety of our guest, crew and ships is our number one priority and we hope you understand that these changes are necessary.

Todays message from NCL - we are on the Nov 11th sailing. I have started to look at / book excursions for the Roatan/Harvest Cay/Costa Maya/Cozumel itinerary just in case.

Weather Updates 2017

September 18th at 10:00 AM (2:00 PM UTC)

Norwegian Cruise Line is heartbroken at the terrible impact Hurricane Irma has had on several islands in the Eastern Caribbean, ports that we have called on since the start of our 50 years in business, some of which are included in the itinerary that you are currently booked on. In the wake of this devastating storm and as part of our recovery efforts, we are working closely with our partners on the ground to determine the best way to continue to provide relief to the areas impacted by and recovering from Hurricane Irma and to determine the extent of damage that Hurricane Irma inflicted. We are anticipating that your current itinerary will be adjusted to ensure your comfort, safety and an outstanding guest experience. We anticipate having this information to you within the next two weeks as new ports of call are secured.

We appreciate your patience during this very difficult time. At Norwegian Cruise Line safety of our guest, crew and ships is our number one priority and we hope you understand that these changes are necessary.

Well, another Storm is coming:

According to CNN:

"As of 11 a.m. ET, Maria was centered about 60 miles (95 kilometers) east of Martinique. Its first landfall is expected around 8 p.m. ET in the northeast Caribbean's Leeward Islands — specifically Dominica and Martinique.

And for the first time in 85 years, Puerto Rico is expected to suffer a direct landfall from a Category 4 hurricane. Puerto Rico's governor has declared a state of emergency ahead of that landfall, which will likely happen Wednesday."

If those islands get hit really hard, most likely NCL will keep the change from Eastern to Western. Sad for the people in the storms path and frustrating for us who don't want the itinerary re-routed. We'll see...

I am booked on Escape to Eastern Caribbean in March 2018. I don't expect we will make it to St. Thomas or Tortola, sadly. Would love to see some different ports though like San Juan, St. Croix and/or somewhere in Dominican Republic, but I don't know how feasible they are for Escape. A day in Great Stirrup Cay would be ok too.

We were on the Escape March 2018 but decided to now take the Jade for a lot less money since the Escape will be going Western as is the Jade. Not sure where we might end up but it won’t be Eastern Caribbean.