Islands hit by Irma

Bootstrap77

I can't help wondering if Celebrity is rethinking their plan of having Equinox in the Caribbean for the summer (hurricane) months. They didn't pick a very good year to start it.

The summer months don't seem to be an issue for hurricanes. All the cruise lines have ships repositioning back from Europe to the Northeast (also prone to hurricanes in the fall) and the Caribbean during the peak of hurrican season September - November. Not positioning ships in the Caribbean for summer the had nothing to do with hurricanes. There was a high demand in Europe and Alaska for cruises during the summer months. They over saturated the market so now they leave one ship in the Caribbean all year. Even Princess is returning to the Caribbean next summer.

Based on the last time s hurricane hit Dominica and the cat 5 yesterday and having been there 3 times, add this port to BVI, st Thomas, st John and st Martin as basically gone for the winter 2018 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am afraid that by 10:00 PM St. Croix will also be added to the list.

bosco

The summer months don't seem to be an issue for hurricanes. All the cruise lines have ships repositioning back from Europe to the Northeast (also prone to hurricanes in the fall) and the Caribbean during the peak of hurricane season September - November.

That's not actually correct. Peak is late August through September which, aside from the last 10 days of September, is entirely in the summer.

But I agree with you that hurricanes aren't really driving the decision as to whether to sail in the Caribbean that season. Except perhaps indirectly, if cruisers don't want to cruise there in hurricane season, so they can't charge very high prices.