faster steakhouse experience?

jdemps

Has anyone ever requested their meal be paced quicker in the steakhouse? Last time it took 2.5 hours and I think it can be done in about half that time, especially with their volume of guests. It has never been busy in there the times we've gone. I want to encourage my parents to go because its delicious but I don't think they will want to sit that long.

Thanks for any tips you might have on requesting a faster experience.

Has anyone ever requested their meal be paced quicker in the steakhouse? Last time it took 2.5 hours and I think it can be done in about half that time, especially with their volume of guests. It has never been busy in there the times we've gone. I want to encourage my parents to go because its delicious but I don't think they will want to sit that long.

Yes, we have just recently, twice on a cruise on the Pride. First night was maybe, 90 minutes....hostess saw we had silver colored s&s cards..that led to talk about different cruises, which led to talk of the number of times we've cruised on the Pride and ate in Davids.....etc etc...so hostess said, well, no need for the cart presentation with the different cuts of steak and lobster and so on...got right down to ordering. Second night we had 2 folks with us who had not yet dined in a steak house, so was a bit longer, but still under 2.5 hours. On another cruise we requested if things could move along quicker, we'd appreciate it and they did...not rushed....but not the long drawn out process.

While I have never experienced a 2.5 hour dining duration in any Carnival steakhouse (it's always been half that as you think it should), there's a simple way to speed up the process if you are "in a hurry".

Simply indicate so to your server, eat each course quickly and motion for them to bring the next one. You can be in and out in under 45 minutes. Hopefully your parents can sit for at least that long. If not, they can always take a nice stroll from the table to the bar and back again. It helps to keep the circulation flowing with all the ingesting and digesting of red meat.

It's absolutely possible. Simply tell your server.

They are on a slower mode in the Steakhouse; it adds to the experience, it gives you time to digest the rather large amount of food you're given, you're more inclined to get (and drink) a whole bottle of wine, or perhaps a different wine with every course.

Additionally, there aren't a lot of people with small children dining there. They tend to want dinner served and over as quickly as possible. The Steakhouses promote the more sedate, refined, carefree dining atmosphere.

They also don't have the high amount of guests to serve as in the MDR, so they can take their time at each table.

Have a great cruise!

Hi

It shouldn't be difficult. Just tell the host/hostess, either just when you arrive to be seated, or go and speak with the person earlier in the evening, and let them know that your parents can't sit for an extended period. If there is an issue during the dinner, discretely speak with that person and complain. I can't imagine having a problem, but once you have gotten the commitment anything less than what was requested would be their problem to fix.

While I have never experienced a 2.5 hour dining duration in any Carnival steakhouse (it's always been half that as you think it should), there's a simple way to speed up the process if you are "in a hurry".

Simply indicate so to your server, eat each course quickly and motion for them to bring the next one. You can be in and out in under 45 minutes. Hopefully your parents can sit for at least that long. If not, they can always take a nice stroll from the table to the bar and back again. It helps to keep the circulation flowing with all the ingesting and digesting of red meat.

No need to motion to the server, that is extremely rude. All you have to do tell them when you are seated that you would like the pace of your dinner to be a bit faster than usual. I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting you out quicker.

Just ask.

Ah, eating vs dining.

I agree, whole heartedly. We always let the server know that we are treating the meal in the steak house as an experience and that we are not in a hurry. It is our time to visit with our companions, to really enjoy our food. Even in the regular dining room we choose late dining for the reason we can dine at dinner not shovel down our food because someone else needs our seat.

No need to motion to the server, that is extremely rude. All you have to do tell them when you are seated that you would like the pace of your dinner to be a bit faster than usual. I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting you out quicker.

Motioning to a server, in and of itself, is in no way rude... when it is done discretely to indicate you may require something at a time when the server may not know you need it.

You may have missed the undertones but what is considered rude is walking into a dining environment known for its leisurely pace and multi-course presentation and essentially saying "Speed it up, Honey... I don't feel like sitting here that long".

Oh, they'll do it to satisfy the guest but understand it throws the whole normalized dining execution off and requires extra attention from the server to the eater. Hopefully those that do so provide an extra gratuity for the extra service.

And yes, they absolutely want to get this kind of eater out as quickly as possible to make room for diners.

My boyfriend and I enjoyed the Steakhouse aboard the Liberty in May and our dinner only took a little over an hour. It was our first time eating at the steakhouse and we enjoyed our experience thoroughly. We didn't have dessert, we were just so full! So keep that in mind. We did get to see the food cart with the different cuts of meat. It was such a great dinner. I'll be taking my father next on the Magic!