My take on "Cheers"

MRVEGAS711

Our last cruise we decide to test the value of the Cheers package. For our week long Pride cruise, in advance, we would have to spend $805 to buy Cheers.

This cruise we decide to drink normally without any influence of how much we needed to drink to save money or what we wanted to drink as far as price.

Through the week, we bought several bottles of wine as well as cocktails when we wanted and beer when we wanted. Sometimes we bought individual beers, sometimes.....buckets. Also.....we drank on islands when we wanted. We didn't "save" all of our drinking for the ship.

We had a great time! Some nights little tipsy, some nights a lot tipsy, some nights not so much. Its was just drinking what and when we wanted to.

Our drink bill came to $550 dollars.

WE now know.....Cheers isn't worth it to us.

I would suggest trying the same thing. Don't try to hit 7 drinks a night because you know you need it to break even. Drink normally and see where it all pans out.

My two cents worth.

Edited by MRVEGAS711

Our last cruise we decide to test the value of the Cheers package. For our week long Pride cruise, in advance, we would have to spend $805 to buy Cheers.

This cruise we decide to drink normally without any influence of how much we needed to drink to save money or what we wanted to drink as far as price.

Through the week, we bought several bottles of wine as well as cocktails when we wanted and beer when we wanted. Sometimes we bought individual beers, sometimes.....buckets.

We had a great time! Some nights little tipsy, some nights a lot tipsy, some night not so much. Its was just drinking what and when we wanted to.

I would suggest trying the same thing. Don't try to hit 7 drinks a night because you know you need it to break even. Drink normally and see where it all pans out.

My two cents worth.

We have never bought the Cheers program for exactly this reason. We have never spent that amount on just ordering what we want when we want it. For us too it does not make sense.

Did that amount include sodas, coffees, bottled waters and such? I am not looking at Cheers as just an alcohol package, I look at it as a drink package. My husband will not drink a lot of alcohol, just a couple of frozen or mixed drinks a day, but he will have a several powerade type drinks, bottled waters and sodas. Bottled teas and coffees too I'm sure. We are going to try it for the first time next month and see how the numbers add up for us also.

We finally tried it on our most recent cruise on the Magic. I had done the math and knew we usually spend about $600 on beverages (sodas, alcohol, water).

However, I found that Cheers enhanced my cruise experience because I got a latte every morning, and DH loved having a milkshake in the afternoons. Plus I got a soda if I wanted one (usually I would just drink the not-so-great iced tea, while DH usually would buy the soda package--and, no, he never shared).

So, with Cheers we branch out more, and not just with alcohol. That being said, I had a few glasses of wine that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Also, it was nice to be able to grab a bottle of water when we were out and about on the ship and not have to go back to the cabin and grab one from our usual preordered bottles.

We may try Cheers again on our next cruise. It's not a deal breaker either way for us, but the convenience was evident, especially when factoring in juice, water, milkshakes, soda, energy drinks, and special coffees.

BTW, one evening we didn't drink at all--but it wasn't because we had too much the day before--just didn't feel like drinking, so we left some on the table, so to speak.

Please let us know how you end up. We are getting the Cheers package and certainly don't accept the 15 a day (alcohol) as a challenge but it's nice knowing we can try different things and if we don't like them, we try something else.

Plus the coffee, water, sodas, etc.

Did that amount include sodas, coffees, bottled waters and such? I am not looking at Cheers as just an alcohol package, I look at it as a drink package. My husband will not drink a lot of alcohol, just a couple of frozen or mixed drinks a day, but he will have a several powerade type drinks, bottled waters and sodas. Bottled teas and coffees too I'm sure. We are going to try it for the first time next month and see how the numbers add up for us also.

Good point! Let us know how it adds up for you as a " beverage " package.

The "beverage package" view is exactly how we are now looking at it. The first beverage package we purchased was on a RCI cruise this past May, which we purchased pre-cruise as a package with their internet. Funny part was I found myself drinking double espresso's in the morning, or grande Starbucks coffee's, and I'm not a Starbucks worshipper, just figure better than the no charge coffee.....got squeezed oj in the morning...a few soda's and lots of water, oh and booze, beer and wine drinks throughout the cruise...we figured we at least broke even.

We then figured we needed to try Cheers on Carnival, so we pre-purchased Cheers using discounted gift cards from AARP, which lowered the overall cost for our Pride cruise earlier this month. Same thing..espressos, couple morning mimosa's...beer..wine...booze...water....pretty much the same broke even result.

If was booze only, may not break even...adding in other non-alcoholic beverages, at least break even. Just my 2 cents.

Through the week, we bought several bottles of wine as well as cocktails when we wanted and beer when we wanted. Sometimes we bought individual beers, sometimes.....buckets. Also.....we drank on islands when we wanted. We didn't "save" all of our drinking for the ship.

We had a great time! Some nights little tipsy, some nights a lot tipsy, some nights not so much. Its was just drinking what and when we wanted to.

My two cents worth.

The hubby and I did that a few years back, and only spent about $450 total! Definetly not worth it if you have to purchase it. But for my last cruise, on the NCL Getaway, we had it given to us as a perk. We had to pay the gratuities on the package ahead of time, but the $160 (total for two) was reasonable and well worth it. We chose that perk for our January 2018 cruise. For 2019, we are back to Carnival for a cruise, and I will NOT be purchasing it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The "beverage package" view is exactly how we are now looking at it. The first beverage package we purchased was on a RCI cruise this past May, which we purchased pre-cruise as a package with their internet. Funny part was I found myself drinking double espresso's in the morning, or grande Starbucks coffee's, and I'm not a Starbucks worshipper, just figure better than the no charge coffee.....got squeezed oj in the morning...a few soda's and lots of water, oh and booze, beer and wine drinks throughout the cruise...we figured we at least broke even.

We then figured we needed to try Cheers on Carnival, so we pre-purchased Cheers using discounted gift cards from AARP, which lowered the overall cost for our Pride cruise earlier this month. Same thing..espressos, couple morning mimosa's...beer..wine...booze...water....pretty much the same broke even result.

If was booze only, may not break even...adding in other non-alcoholic beverages, at least break even. Just my 2 cents.

But for us, it still wouldn't be worth it, as we never buy Starbucks or specialty coffees, or squeezed OJ. The complimentary stuff provided is just fine for us.

I won't quote the OP but for every story like his is a complete opposite story. We had friends who thought they would save some money, we bought Cheers. This was an 11 day cruise and the $1100 scared them and thought they would save some money. Their drinks totaled $1400 including coffee, shakes, sport drinks, water and soda.

When me and my wife cruise alone or with our family we go about this a bit different. Because my wife does not drink alcohol, it makes no sense for us to purchase the Cheers package. So what we did on our last cruise on the Magic this past June was to order the bubbles package for both of us. This way she could get what she wanted to drink and I had my package for those times we were not together. After being on a cruise for 7 days, I found that I drank as normal when it came to alcohol and I only spent about $300 give or take. We have been using this method for a while and will be using it tomorrow as we board the Paradise for Cuba.

We are trying bubbles for the first time in May. In the past we always got the bubbles packages. Starting with the difference in packages and since I will be using discount cards that leaves about 39 ish three adult beverages a morning coffee and some waters break even. Now in the past I was hesitant to order drinks and would just get a soda. I look forward to not thinking about it.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

Thank you MandyMooToo!!! I really wish everyone would remember it is a ****DRINK**** package - not just alcohol!!! That's where so many people get caught up in it.

We got bottled waters before we left the ship and whenever we wanted. I wanted milkshakes too but never got to order one. I don't drink coffee but we drink a lot of bottle water and my hubby is a Pepsi addict.

As the OP said, it ENHANCED our experience. No surprise of our bill (and I purchased Verizon gift cards for 10% off and paid for CHEERS before we boarded, so I saved with buying it ahead of time and with the 10% off cards.)

I did not hesitate to order a second drink if I tried something and didn't like it. I didn't hesitate to order another FRESH frozen drink to replace one that had melted down, but I hadn't "finished".

I think the problem with so much judgment around Cheers is that people think of it as ONLY alcohol (not true) and they feel like they must hit a minimum number of drinks to make it "worth" it. On the days we would have technically spent less money on drinks without the package, it still was a better/"enhanced" experience to us having the package - because of being able to order what we wanted and not being surprised.

Ultimately it's like a lot of cruising - very personal to your tastes and preferences. I would rather pay the $500 upfront than be surprised by a $450 bill at the end. Some people wouldn't and that's ok too.

But for us, it still wouldn't be worth it, as we never buy Starbucks or specialty coffees, or squeezed OJ. The complimentary stuff provided is just fine for us.

My reply was not to try and sell Cheers, just to point out that it is a "beverage" package not just a "booze" package, and if like us, we don't care for the provided items ie. coffee, we base our decision to purchase to because it includes non-alcoholic along with alcoholic drinks. Enjoying both non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks as we do, coupled with buying it "at a discount" makes it more desireable for us, so for us it works, and our decision is to purchase it, does not work for you, makes complete sense not too.

My two cents worth.

We've done the same and walked off with no more than $250 in drinks (alcohol and coffee drinks for my wife), They would have to carry me off if we spent $800 - $900 for a 7/8 day cheers package. I tip my hat at those of you who can drink like that.

I'm with CruzCrazy, and my DW wife is with MrVegas117. Like CruzCrazy I love the freedom of ordering ANY drink I want with out the care of "how much is this going to cost?". My DW is like 7-9 drinks (alcohol) a day :o would we really drink that much everyday if we did not have to just to break even? So we are split 50/50 however, our next cruise is 14days. I do believe that 14days straight 7-9 drinks would be rough:eek:. So we are not going to get it for this cruise, I sure hope this not a mistake. Furthermore, I will have to pay extra for a good cup of coffee:(.

We're going to do a "test" on the Cheers program, too, when we sail on Pride this New Year's Eve. We just sailed on Pride a few weeks ago, had the package. As in the past, I've found myself drinking more to get my money's worth. My husband barely drinks, so the need to purchase that 2nd package already puts us behind financially. We had a few specialty coffees, a few bottles of water, but never got the Honest Tea, Powerade, Rock Star, or milk shakes. At dinner, we drink unsweetened iced tea, so we didn't utilize the package for soft drinks. We're setting the $800 aside & will pay off our alcohol & other beverages with that to determine if there's value in it for us & whether or not we should get it for our 2018 cruise from Galveston.

I only question why you would buy bottles and buckets. Why not a glass of what you want and let your prepaid cheers cover them?

We did not buy Cheers package. So we drank a bottle of beer when we wanted and some days when we felt like 2, 4 or more bottles, we got a bucket.

This included all liquids. Water, Soda, coffee and alcohol. Just over $550.

Here is a question for the Cheers supporters? Do you also drink on the island?

I ask as we spent $550 in drinks on Carnival, but we also hit Senor Frogs in Freeport, a few bars in Charleston and the HRC in Nassau. If I bought Cheers, I would feel like I have to not enjoy the islands so I can get my "moneys worth" on the ship.

How say you??? (our island spending on drinks came out to around $150.)

On my last cruise (RCCL) I was curious if the drink package was going to be worth it for us. So we added up what would would have spent if we paid per drink vs what we paid for the drink package. Yeah it wasn't pretty. We drank a lot. We're big drinkers. It was over $650 per person had we not bought the drink package. I know for our upcoming CCL cruise the $800 total we will spend on the package will definitely be worth it. But it's not for everyone and that's ok.