Return to Key West....Really?

Sascol

Per RCCL website:

We are happy to announce that we received confirmation that we can return to Key West starting this weekend with our call on Sunday, September 24th. With both Havana and Key West ready, and excited to welcome us, we are now able to offer the Royal Caribbean vacation guests are looking forward to.

Isn't key west a disaster?

Per RCCL website:

We are happy to announce that we received confirmation that we can return to Key West starting this weekend with our call on Sunday, September 24th. With both Havana and Key West ready, and excited to welcome us, we are now able to offer the Royal Caribbean vacation guests are looking forward to.

No, it's not a disaster and people and businesses down there are anxious to have the cruise ships resume their port calls. I don't know if you look at Facebook but there's a page called "All About Florida Keys" and there are videos taken this week that show that Key West is waiting for us with a smile. :D

No, it's not a disaster and people and businesses down there are anxious to have the cruise ships resume their port calls. I don't know if you look at Facebook but there's a page called "All About Florida Keys" and there are videos taken this week that show that Key West is waiting for us with a smile. :D

Not Facebooker but that's good news for their economy. Every image I've seen over the last week or so show just destruction everywhere.

I just looked at several live webcams and all the major bars are open although the streets look very quiet. They are ready for some tourists. If you take a look at the Mallory square webcam, it pans around and it doesn't look there was any damage downtown. The Southernmost point marker has a big scrape on one side but that's all I see.

Per RCCL website:

Where did you hear that? CNN? Lot's of people, cleaning, and getting things back together will do wonders on how fast a city can clean up. You can check out the web cams and see that the streets and buildings are clean, and ready. Bars are serving cold beer, and are waiting for the ships to return, and bring them income!

Per RCCL website:

Besides, it sounds like the authorities in Key West made the call that the ships can return, not Royal Caribbean. If the authorities give the OK, then why would the ships want to stay away?

Where did you hear that? CNN? Lot's of people, cleaning, and getting things back together will do wonders on how fast a city can clean up. You can check out the web cams and see that the streets and buildings are clean, and ready. Bars are serving cold beer, and are waiting for the ships to return, and bring them income!

I'm sure the OP was just unfamiliar with which Keys received the most damage, and Key West got off surprisingly light.

I'm sure the OP was just unfamiliar with which Keys received the most damage, and Key West got off surprisingly light.

No....OP is familiar with which Keys were reported about.

In the days immediately after the storm there were MANY reports on MANY networks that said Key West would not be the same for a long time due to the destruction. Agreed, many of the other keys got it much, much worse but the reports stated what I noted above about Key West. Glad it is better than it was initially presented to the public.

In the days immediately after the storm there were MANY reports on MANY networks that said Key West would not be the same for a long time due to the destruction. Agreed, many of the other keys got it much, much worse but the reports stated what I noted above about Key West. Glad it is better than it was initially presented to the public.

I imagine it will not look the same, since many trees are down. That said, trees are not the same as buildings. If a building like Sloppy Joes is open then I imagine the big hotels were not touched much.

JC

You and I must have watched the same news reports but hey, good news is we were apparently ill informed. I actually recall reports they were targeting December for the return of ships.

Gregg

Per RCCL website:

no. it was actually spared the brunt of the storm. the only issue was restoring power and access from the one way in or out. the Navy dropped off a bunch of emergency supplies within a day or so

Sorry. I have family down there so I was dogging the news pretty hard at the time. It wasn't too long before it became clear Key West's main problem was power/water/access.

The press paints with a broad brush. Obviously, Key West is a small part of the Keys and did not take the full brunt of the storm. When listening to the news reports it seemed to be the case but it was kind of hidden because of the sadly, true devastation that a large of the Keys suffered. Baby steps can be good things.

Per RCCL website:

?

I would be happy if my October Celebrity cruise would add Key West back onto the itinerary. They swapped it out for Jamaica. [emoji53] Since Celebrity has been busy setting up excursion options in Jamaica, I am not holding out hope.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is from the Hotel we've booked on Key West for after our cruise.

Westwinds Inn - Key West

Yesterday at 6:05am ·

Hurricane Update:

Our hotel did not sustain any major damage as a result of Hurricane Irma. Once the local authorities give us the all clear, we will be opening our doors for guests. Currently, we have some team members onsite assisting with the clean-up and they are doing an amazing job. The best way to contact us is via email at frontdesk@westwindskeywest.com. Please bear with us as we are experiencing high call and email volumes.

Thank you so much for all of your concern. We hope to welcome you very soon!

Very good news!

Sorry. I have family down there so I was dogging the news pretty hard at the time. It wasn't too long before it became clear Key West's main problem was power/water/access.

I am glad that is the case. Better for everyone especially the residents that they get back on their feet and get cruises back there as soon as possible. This is good news.

Images of the damage, and phrases like "total devastation", are what draw viewers. So that's where they focus coverage, but it's never the whole picture.

I just spent the morning past 2 days in Key West helping with hurricane recovery. There is a lot of storm damage still as well as debris from the storm surge. Our church along with Samaritan’s Purse will be spending at least the next 3 weeks helping Key West and the lower Keys recover.

Please if you go to Key West in the next few weeks be prepared for things not to be 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums