Celebrity Choice Air Surprise

bill_carole

Hi Everyone

An Informational note.

We have normally used choice air flights, but they have been international for the most part and we had just worried about the weights. However on domestic flights there can be baggage charges that are not included in the price quoted/paid. This came as a surprise to us as we expected the 1st bag on Delta Airlines, an national carrier, to be included. This means our two legs are actually $100 more than were quoted when we made the reservation.

I feel this is more than a little deceptive.

Regards

Bill

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

I've never used Choice Air, so this is a question. Does Choice Air not give a baggage disclaimer when you book? All the airlines (at least that I've seen) have a disclaimer on their own web page when you book.

And "never" isn't true; Southwest still includes bags in their quoted fare. And many of us get free bags at least on some airlines through status, credit cards, etc. The first bag is generally free on international travel.

I have to agree. One always has to read the fine print or at least ask about baggage fees. Nowadays, there are not too many free perks when it comes to flying. We usually fly business class, so there are no fees for us, but I am still waiting for bathroom fees! Choice air is still a much cheaper product in many cases...100 is not going to ruin your vacation and you will have a great time. It is what it is ! We have all been stung at one time or another...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never used Choice Air, so this is a question. Does Choice Air not give a baggage disclaimer when you book? All the airlines (at least that I've seen) have a disclaimer on their own web page when you book.

And "never" isn't true; Southwest still includes bags in their quoted fare. And many of us get free bags at least on some airlines through status, credit cards, etc. The first bag is generally free on international travel.

Totally agree. Baggage rules by airlines are always enforced.

To the OP, you don't say if you booked your flights on-line or on the phone.

The Choice Air Website clearly states "Baggage and Cancellation Fees May Apply". My e-mail confirmation states the same thing.

If you shopped directly with the airline you'd have seen the same thing.

Bill, I notice you live in CA. Do you have status with Delta or a Delta charge card that includes one free piece of luggage?

The bottom line is If you are normally entitled to free luggage if you book directly, you will also receive the same benefit when booked on Delta with Choice Air.

I suspect by your post you have not flown domestically in a long time. Or maybe always us Southwest?

Enjoy your flight and cruise.

Hi jagoffee

Your right. Between cruises we RV as much as we can. It's been a " loonngg" time since we have flown domestically. Also, our travel agent made the reservations. We try to keep up with all the changes. Today each airline has different baggage policies with complicated structures. We were used to the majors generally giving you one free 1st bag. We assumed choice air factored this into their cost structure when making the connections for us. There was certainly NO NOTIFICATION that the 1st bag was an additional $25 each at each flight by them in our paperwork or by our travel agent. Had not my wife suggested checking we would have been unaware of the charges till we arrived at airline check in.

Your suggestions are good. We do have a delta sky miles program and perhaps this will help. We slipped through the loop holes here and are wiser now.

Thanks to all who made good suggestions and refrained from snide comments in our lack of knowledge. I am quite sure there are at least some who have benefited from this conversation. Many refrain from commenting or posting due to concerns about the superior attitudes of some who lurk here.

Regards Bill

Hi Everyone

An Informational note.

We have normally used choice air flights, but they have been international for the most part and we had just worried about the weights. However on domestic flights there can be baggage charges that are not included in the price quoted/paid. This came as a surprise to us as we expected the 1st bag on Delta Airlines, an national carrier, to be included. This means our two legs are actually $100 more than were quoted when we made the reservation.

I feel this is more than a little deceptive.

Regards

Bill

Isn't the charge $25 in each direction? If you must connect flights, I don't think they charge you twice.

You are quite right. its $25 per direction (to the ship) and from the ship. There are my wife and I so it in reality its $50 each. We like to know all the charges up front so we can factor them in to our decisions. In this case this factor slipped by us.

Hi jagoffee

Your right. Between cruises we RV as much as we can. It's been a " loonngg" time since we have flown domestically. Also, our travel agent made the reservations. We try to keep up with all the changes. Today each airline has different baggage policies with complicated structures. We were used to the majors generally giving you one free 1st bag. We assumed choice air factored this into their cost structure when making the connections for us. There was certainly NO NOTIFICATION that the 1st bag was an additional $25 each at each flight by them in our paperwork or by our travel agent. Had not my wife suggested checking we would have been unaware of the charges till we arrived at airline check in.

Your suggestions are good. We do have a delta sky miles program and perhaps this will help. We slipped through the loop holes here and are wiser now.

Thanks to all who made good suggestions and refrained from snide comments in our lack of knowledge. I am quite sure there are at least some who have benefited from this conversation. Many refrain from commenting or posting due to concerns about the superior attitudes of some who lurk here.

Regards Bill

I want to thank you for your post. I was unaware of the charges as they are complicated and I usually use a different credit card which eliminates some charges.

Yes, I noticed snarky remarks. It is interesting to read the posts from those who are snarky. You can read the trend on cruise critic if you click on their name. It is a trend for them. I've finally learned to ignore them. Life is too short...... Makes them look bad.....

Our entire point here, was to inform others of our "mistake", not to get criticized or roasted.

The entire "add on's" or hidden fees matrix is intended as a marketing gimmick and the "gotchas" have ended up generating literally billions of dollars in profits for the airlines. Things are not transparent. There should be a posted price that includes the basic elements of a ticket, i.e. a comfortable seat, one suitcase, and a meal if the leg is over 5 hours. This is going to require congressional legislation. The airlines are vigorously resisting this as the profits from misleading ticket prices have been huge.

Regards

Bill

But there are so many who are exempt from fees it would be very difficult to do it much differently than the way it is. Frequent flyers, affinity credit card holders, some military, all those are exempt from some or all baggage fees. When getting a price quote it would be pretty complicated to consider all those variables.

I disagree. Most, if not all, of the "perks" you mention are marketing ploys. There needs to be a basic package all the airlines agree on that can be used measure the real costs of a ticket and allow accurate comparisons between them when making purchase decisions. Without congressional mandates this is never going to happen.

regards

Bill

So which is it? Was it deception by Choice Air? The fact that Congress has not regulated age airline industry to your satisfaction? Unfair marketing/pricing by the airlines? Or just the fact that you were one of the few people on the planet that was not aware that luggage is an extra cost for most airlines, and has been for well over 5 years. Or the fact that the fact that the extra charge advisement is there, but you did not read it?

Congress just can’t mandate everything, as enforcing what they have is a nightmare. Greed is sought after by so many companies, making those at the top richer and richer, until or if those who are corrupt get stung. One has to be his/her

own watchdog with everything nowadays.

Unfortunately, as age descends on us, (I am in that category)our brains are not necessarily as sharp as they used to be. I have learned to make the best decision I can and then move on...taking no prisoners. It is much healthier in the long run, IMHO. Life just isn’t fair, but sometimes it is wonderful!!!!

I have learned to check the prices of Choice Air many, many times. Calling doesn’t mean the prices are cheaper. The best prices for us have been one way overseas destinations. Then, round trip international, with domestic running close to the major airline fares without Choice Air.

My best deals have come from my own online bookings...that has been my experience the last several years. It is a crap shoot, but if you love to travel and air is the best way to go, you just have to play the game. Unfortunately, my experience with CHoice Air Reps has been awful, as their knowledge has been very limited and not always forthcoming. It is always refreshing when agents share things that are in small print, but that would take initiative on their part.

Yes this is a little off topic!

Edited by Lastdance

I disagree. Most, if not all, of the "perks" you mention are marketing ploys. There needs to be a basic package all the airlines agree on that can be used measure the real costs of a ticket and allow accurate comparisons between them when making purchase decisions. Without congressional mandates this is never going to happen.

regards

Bill

. Your idea is pretty much the opposite of what consumers want. Consumers want lower ticket prices and choice to pay extra for baggage, seat assignments, food, etc if they want it. Airlines like Spirit, Frontier and Allegiant have had success unbundling ticket fares and it is catching on.

There are mandates to show the entire price including taxes when booking and provide and explanation of baggage fees.