ms Volendam in Juneau September 30, 2017

Scrapnana

Bad news and good news. Bad news is that this is the last ship of the Juneau season for 2017.:( Good news is that we only have to wait until October 18 to see the first dam ship (Koningsdam) in Fort Lauderdale (and hear some toots)!:)

Saturday will see Volendam stop in Juneau on her way to Japan and China. She will be at the CT dock from 1000-2300. She is the only ship in port.

After a beautiful day on Friday, the prediction is for a mix of clouds and sunshine. High will be 54F/12C and the low a chilly 38F/3C. (Anyone see the snow on the Denali puppy cam Friday?) Sunrise is at 6:58 am and sunset at 6:35 pm.

The PTZtv webcam can be found at http://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/ .

Bad news and good news. Bad news is that this is the last ship of the Juneau season for 2017.:( Good news is that we only have to wait until October 18 to see the first dam ship (Koningsdam) in Fort Lauderdale (and hear some toots)!:)

Saturday will see Volendam stop in Juneau on her way to Japan and China. She will be at the CT dock from 1000-2300. She is the only ship in port.

After a beautiful day on Friday, the prediction is for a mix of clouds and sunshine. High will be 54F/12C and the low a chilly 38F/3C. (Anyone see the snow on the Denali puppy cam Friday?) Sunrise is at 6:58 am and sunset at 6:35 pm.

The PTZtv webcam can be found at http://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/

Snow in Denali - I enjoyed watching the puppies trying to figure out what it was, I saw a couple slide off the climbing apparatus before they got their feet working right. Eating the snow, and playing in it was their favorite activity..

I checked Juneau to see if they had snow, but all I saw was about 10,000 gulls and their cousins. So snow didn't make it that far south.

Maybe we'll see snow tomorrow for ms Volendam, we've had everything else this summer. ;p

I will be here of course.

ETA: Zuiderdam will be in NYC tomorrow - 7 am - 8 pm EDT

Edited by Happily@Sea

Scrapnana thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put into Pittsburgh by the Alaska ports for us! Much appreciated for all you do!

Denise:)

I have enjoyed posting the HAL visits to Juneau but I can't believe how fast the five months passed.:eek:

OMG!!! Pittsburgh ? Where the heck I got that😔 sorry! I have a new I phone and I think I made a big mistake in getting it!

Denise:) sorry

Sometimes these "smart" phones have a mind of their own.;p

Copper10-8 referenced "line gun" use many times on these threads. On my morning walk the mooring crew had one at the ready and I'm attaching a photo. Sadly, the guy's throw was on the money and I didn't see the gun used.

1495432633_linegun(Custom).JPG.667fe34276d5cf7ca574ac52a0bfbb2d.JPG

BTW, I remember there being times when there were San Diego sailaway threads, but it just isn't the same without Lou & Dave's cameras.

Roy

Copper10-8 referenced "line gun" use many times on these threads. On my morning walk the mooring crew had one at the ready and I'm attaching a photo. Sadly, the guy's throw was on the money and I didn't see the gun used.

[ATTACH]411027[/ATTACH]

BTW, I remember there being times when there were San Diego sailaway threads, but it just isn't the same without Lou & Dave's cameras.

Roy

On the line gun and throws, I have never seen one in action - but on the NA in Dec 2015 in Falmouth, Jamaica, it took the linesman 3 throws to get it on the bollard dock. The last throw was right on the money after one of the dock hands pointed to the area to throw it to compensate for the wind - he did and it went straight to said dock hand. There was a big round of applause from the watching pax.

Those SD cameras are a disappointing mess. Between the panning and long-distance shots, you might as well not bother. We are spoiled by the great PTZ cams.

If they would take one camera and focus it on the port and then do their long shots and close-ups, it would still be a vast improvement over the setup they have now.

Edited by Happily@Sea

Those SD cameras are a disappointing mess. Between the panning and long-distance shots, you might as well not bother. We are spoiled by the great PTZ cams.

If they would take one camera and focus it on the port and then do their long shots and close-ups, it would still be a vast improvement over the setup they have now.

The SD webcams jerk around so much they make me seasick just watching!;p They are so annoying. I wish Lou and Dave could find some business on the waterfront to sponsor a PTZtv webcam.

I’m in Pittsburgh too and the weather has been nuts. It’s supposed to get warm again.

Pittsburgh -- I live 20 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. Until yesterday we had unbelievable warm temperatures. Actually made it to 91 on Thursday. Now we are in the 60's which is normal for this time of the year.