Hawaii - Would you consider.....

Wishing on a star

I have done the Pride of America and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I have been to Hawaii on land vacations 12 times and we loved seeing it from the ship for a new perspective.

As well, it's so easy to combine with a land stay. We flew into HNL from YVR and spent a night in Waikiki, boarded the ship for the 7 day cruise and then after the cruise flew from HNL to OGG and spent a week in Ka'anapali. We flew from OGG direct back to YVR and it was perfect. No wasted sea days, just 2 weeks of pure Hawaii time. Would definitely do it again.

I just love the idea of the overnight on Kauai, to be able to really see/experience Kauai again.

And, the second overnight is well worth it too.

I wanted to consider an OV to stay within some kind of budget... But I think I am finding out that all Ocean View cabins on POA have at least on pull-down hanging on the wall, taking up half of that tiny space. The indication that some might not have those, and be l layed out more like balcony cabins, maybe with a tiny twin-sofa... seems to be an error on their web-site.

If we have to book a balcony on POA to get a decent cabin, then we could almost sail Princess for the price.

Maybe even less after having to get airfare to Honolulu.

I feel that despite some poor reviews of the POA it'd be an enjoyable way to island-hop Hawaii & the ports with overnight stays add to the experience.

However with NCL's monopoly of cruises sailing exclusively within Hawaii they charge considerably higher prices for that privilege. Also flights to Hawaii are more expensive so the total cost will be higher. I can drive to the Port of LA but even passengers flying to Hawaii from the US have more expensive flights than flying to West Coast cities to cruise roundtrip to Hawaii.

Sailing on a cruise line we enjoy for less money results in another Princess cruise. We're retired & enjoy sea days but for those with limited vacation time or don't like sea days then the more expensive POA may be their best option.

Any cruise to Hawaii is a taste of each island & is a good way to determine which one to visit again during a land tour. :cool:

Edited by Astro Flyer

While not a fan of NCL, I would choose them because more time in the ports. We rented a car from Thrifty before leaving for every port. Join their loyalty club (free) and you move to the front of the line picking it up. Shuttles from the port to their lots. Do it before you leave because once there, there may not be any cars available.

. I only went on the cruise to be with relatives as we had been to Hawaii on land tours several times. Told them to bring extra money for food because the cruise was only good for transportation from island to island and a roof over our heads. We would be leaving in the am and returning shortly before the ship moved on in the p.m.. Don't expect good service or good food. I hate to admit it but it wasn't bad. We made a picnic lunch at breakfast (beaches are free), ate land side at a few local restaurants recommended by locals for dinners but did eat several times on the ship. Service lacked a little in the dining room in comparison to Princess but we got our food and didn't mind the time to visit.

That being said, I am headed out on Princess in a couple of weeks from San Pedro to Hawaii. Again, going to be with friends plus we got a free drink package so I'll be drinking my way across the Pacific (lol).

We, absolutely, loved our Hawaiian cruise on the Star Princess out of San Pedro (LA). Every day was a busy one to the point that we missed out on many activities we wanted to do, both on the ship and on the islands. Which means we need another cruise. :pThe ship was in great shape and Captain Tuvo enhanced the experience with his great personality.

We have, often, considered extending our bi-annual Hawaiian land vacation by taking a NCL cruise. I think they offer a little more than a R/T from the mainland which makes it more inviting. I would not, however, want to fly from the mainland to take it. Too expensive for a 7 day cruise and air costs.

Edited by LarryL

I have done both and also lived in the islands.

Pros: NCL has the very best itinerary for any cruise line (NaPali Coastline/Lava viewing). But that is about all I can say for them. Floating hotel. One hula lesson. American crew (not a compliment).

Pros: Princess has Elua (if you cruise from LA). Immersed in Hawaiian culture from the time you step on board. Cost less (if you factor in airfare and hotel stay). Better entertainment and activities. Lecturers that actually talk about the islands. Twice as many days on a ship/more sea days. Need I go on?

We did the POA in July and the itinerary was great along with the onboard entertainment.

The food in all dining establishments was another story. We tried to eat many meals onshore if possible.

We did the cruise then 6 days post cruise in Waikiki and really had a lot of fun.

I left NCL after 20 or so cruises with them. The new CEO has initiated a nickle and dime approach to increasing NCL's bottom line at the expense of what made NCL a fun line to cruise with. On their smaller ships, the Gem, Jade, Pearl, they have literally closed all the outside bars by 7:30PM, those who like nightlife down below decks to four or five crowded bars. NCL is just not any fun anymore, hence my upcoming booking on the Star Princess to Hawaii.

Have done both NCL Pride of America rt HNL and Star Princess rt from LA. The only thing we liked about the POA was the itinerary and Napali Coast viewing. As another poster said it is more of a floating hotel - and just didn't feel like a cruise. We did not have a good experience with dining or service. It turned one of our travel companions totally off of cruising.

That said, if you only have a week, it was a good way to see several islands - you just need to adjust your expectations. Expect bad food and surly service and maybe you will be surprised!

We loved our Star Princess cruise, but it could be uncomfortable for someone that dislikes sea days.

We paid about the same amount for the 15 day Princess Cruise in a mini-suite as we did for an obstructed view on the 7 day POA cruise.

IMHO, any cruise will just give you a taste of the islands. Happy planning!

I love Hawaii and I love our Hawaiian Cruises, but they are not the same as a land vacation.

We have done Hawaii on the Star and loved it. We tend to cruise most on the Grand because its our home port, but since The Ruby also does Hawaii, I prefer that ship to the Grand.

Have never done NCL, but love the idea of extra time and overnights on the islands.