Beach visit - Flys, etc

Fastfredcruise

All a matter of personal preference and individual circumstances. If you're young and still hope to have children, it is recommended in most Caribbean ports. If that isn't a worry for you and you don't worry about bites, then no. The worst I've ever really dealt with on Caribbean Beaches are biting flies, and they weren't that bad.

Required? Not in our experience. Personal choice? Up to you. But we have never experienced any issues in 25 years of cruising that would require using it.

Somewhat of a different discussion, but perhaps if you have a mosquito related Zeka concern and are traveling to a port of call where that could be an issue, then use a DEET based product for additional protection. And if you are in a direct risk category (i.e. pregnant or planning to be) then its probably best to avoid those ports of call altogether.

I believe that you will discover that most beaches are insect free. If there are any they seem to be there are the "no see ums" which live in the sand and tend to get you around the ankles. They are not present on very many beaches and usually do not cause any problems. Insect repellent would more likely be needed for places like jungles or where there are lots of trees. The prime time for insects is around sunset and sunrise and usually you are on the ship at those times.

OP didn't specify location of the beach or time of year.

We live in FL and certain times of the year there are biting flies at our beach. Bug spray minimally helps. The rest of the time bugs are no problem. Never had bug problems in the Caribbean, Australia or South Pacific on the beach.

We've been to some beaches where the vegetation is near the water and bug spray helps...SE Asia especially.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On many beaches, it depends on the wind. When there is an off-shore breeze and any wetlands beaches from the Caribbean , the Carolinas and the south shore of Long Island can be unbearable - while a breeze from the water makes them insect-free.

Because I use sunblock, I find Bull Frog combined sunblock and insect repellent ideal.

I'm just going based off of personal experience, but there were a ton of Mosquitos when I went to San Juan and the Dominican Republic. At Amber Cove, my husband used the bathroom near the pool and came out with a bunch of mosquito bites that became quarter sized welts that lasted the rest of the week. The weather was a bit overcast at both places. I find that when you're in full sun, it is less of a problem, which is why it's best to come prepared.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Required? Not in our experience. Personal choice? Up to you. But we have never experienced any issues in 25 years of cruising that would require using it.

Somewhat of a different discussion, but perhaps if you have a mosquito related Zeka concern and are traveling to a port of call where that could be an issue, then use a DEET based product for additional protection. And if you are in a direct risk category (i.e. pregnant or planning to be) then its probably best to avoid those ports of call altogether.

On the pregnancy/Zika note - my daughter's doctor advised against her traveling to the Caribbean, even if she never leaves the ship. We're rescheduling our family cruise because of that. Better to err on the side of caution when it comes to birth defects.