Grand Princess Dry Dock in 2018?

Coffeeluvr05

According to this site, it appears that the grand will go into dry dock in March 2018, but it has conflicting dates. I see that the 2016dry dock says “delayed” so maybe it really is going to happen in March 2018? Anyone have any reliable info?

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

The drydock was done in December 2016.

Sabatini's remodled into Sabatini's Trattoria with the new menu.

Ice Cream Stand replaced with Cups & Cones and its additional treats (for a fee).

Kids and Teens Clubs redone for the new Camp Discovery program.

Horizon Court tables and chairs all reupholstered/refinished or replaced.

Plus all the usual touch-ups that can only be done while out of service.

Lots of info on the ship-specific page for Grand Princess on the website:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/ap-grand-princess/

or by clicking on 'Grand Princess' in the See posts about box on the right of your screen and scrolling back a few pages until reaching the many threads from last year re the drydock.

ETA: likely the reason that unofficial third-party site reads 'delayed' for December 2016 was that the ship had to first have emergency repairs on one of its water-level hatches that opens to the tender launch platform. But all planned work was actually done. And the site seems to not know whether the next gap in Grand's schedule is in 2018 or 2019. According to what's open for booking, there is none next year but possibly one between March 3-19, 2019 (not 2018). Though at this point it is a huge reach to speculate what is actually happening. (And obviously not much care goes into the maintenance of that site).

Edited by fishywood

I had hoped Princess would sell the Grand and bring in a newer ship to SF.

I can understand he desire for a change, even so, the service on the Grand is very good... we have done 3 cruises on the Grand and have another planned for this January... just because it is there and service is excellent. Inspite of what otehrs say, ship in good condition too. Even if Princess switched ships they probably would just put a new model of the Grand Class...

I can understand he desire for a change, even so, the service on the Grand is very good... we have done 3 cruises on the Grand and have another planned for this January... just because it is there and service is excellent. Inspite of what otehrs say, ship in good condition too. Even if Princess switched ships they probably would just put a new model of the Grand Class...

I'm near SF so we have cruised on the Grand 3-4 times also. In fact, we sail soon for Hawaii!(y)

At any rate, We've always had a good cruise on her also. It would just be nice for us to get one of the newer ships with different venues, interactive tv's and how about some seats that people can actually sit in and enjoy the show in the Explorer's Lounge? lol ( those seats really gripe me. You fall down into them because they're so low, you can't see anything on stage and then you have a tuff time getting out of them in the end):)

No biggie, we're still gonna cruise on her... just saying.

I'm near SF so we have cruised on the Grand 3-4 times also. In fact, we sail soon for Hawaii!(y)

At any rate, We've always had a good cruise on her also. It would just be nice for us to get one of the newer ships with different venues, interactive tv's and how about some seats that people can actually sit in and enjoy the show in the Explorer's Lounge? lol ( those seats really gripe me. You fall down into them because they're so low, you can't see anything on stage and then you have a tuff time getting out of them in the end):)

soon Rick .....soooon :D

Hey there Rick, we're on her for Hawaii too, November 13! (y)

And, sight unseen (but having booked the parents on her for three cruises that they loved) we have her booked for more cruises in 2019!:ship::bottle-pop::champagne-toast:

There appears to be a typo in the page of the link that was provided ... start date shows March 3, 2019 (note ... 2019) and end date shows March 19, 2018 (typo of 2018, I assume).

The Grand is scheduled to sail in late Feb 2018 to Hawaii for 15 nights and then scheduled for a March 13, 2018 10 night sailing.

So, think the next dry dock is actually scheduled for March 2019 as there are no sailings scheduled for Mar 3 - 19 for that year.

Doing our first cruise on the Grand June 2018. It is OK if the ship is a little older as long as it is well kept. I like the idea of a good staff. Hope to see all of you on board.

Doing our first cruise on the Grand June 2018. It is OK if the ship is a little older as long as it is well kept. I like the idea of a good staff. Hope to see all of you on board.

While I definitely think they could do a much better job at maintaining this ship, sailing under the Golden Gate is absolutely spectacular. This coupled with the staff onboard will outweigh any negatives about the ship itself.