Help with Grandeur of the Sea's

Will add my vote "YES". We live in NOVA so the Grandeur is very convenient for us. We had taken a "vacation" away from the small ships and had been cruising only on the big ladies for the past couple of years but returned to Grandeur out of convenience. I can say that I was so pleased to re-discover the beauty of having everything so close. You can stand in the Centrum and actually see both ends of the ship (MDR on one side and theater on the other). If you don't need the water slides and the zip line or the flow rider you will love this intimate ship. As others have mentioned, for a small ship the dining options are extraordinary....but there's nothing wrong with the MDR food either. The Diamond and Concierge lounges are very nice and the crew is exceptional. We have 4 more booked on Grandeur in the future. Will keep slipping the big girls in from time-to-time but love the convenience of Baltimore.

Sailed on Grandeur many times. The crew makes this ship very enjoyable. Will be sailing in December. One tip: if you are travelling southbound on 95, make sure you are in the extreme right lane when you enter the tunnel. The exit ramp for the port comes up very soon after you are out of the tunnel.

Regards,

Mike

Let's see, I have done two cruises on Grandeur, and have two more booked. And may be booking another cheap one for the points. Does that give you any hints? :D

If you want a floating amusement park, Grandeur is not for you. If you want to cruise, I think it is great.

And has been said, the staff is AWESOME.

We have been on Grandeur twice, and will be back on her in a few weeks. We have done Voyager, Freedom and Quantum class ships, and do enjoy the larger vessels, but Grandeur has much to appreciate. The crew really is excellent. The MDR food quality and experience is above average. The Izumi specialty restaurant at the top of the Viking Lounge is best we have found, and Chops is dependable for a good meal.. I love the seafood paella they sometimes do in steel drums on the pool deck. The shows are a notch or two down from the large ships, but the theater seats are exceptionally comfortable.

Hcat asked about Juniors and Diamond. Nearly half of the Junior Suites have a pole in the room, usually at the foot of the bed (the infamous "stripper pole") for structural reasons. You can find a list here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47990712#post47990712.

The aft Juniors have larger than normal balconies, and the corner afts have huge balconies and walk-in closets. The Grandeur Juniors are not as large as Voyager or Freedom Juniors, but are still roomy.

The Diamond Lounge is far aft in the corner of the South Pacific Lounge, which is used for overflow. It has excellent visibility through large windows. It is a great venue, and is well attended, yet not crowded. There are not any exceptional Diamond privileges, though I do find that the bars are eager and flexible with the three drinks on your SeaPass. Note that you can drop your bags off in the South Pacific lounge on boarding day to avoid carting them around before rooms open.

Overall, Grandeur offers a basic cruise experience without the excitement and flash of the mega-ships, but you do get to know your fellow passengers and the crew. It also has some great itineraries. I tell people that Grandeur is always pleasant, which is not a bad way to go on vacation.

Champagne123: I booked a 2018 cruise yesterday, and the response was "look for a confirmation soon", which I have not yet received, though the deposit immediately came out of my account.

You can get your own booking confirmation via phone prompts as follows. This was available right after I booked.

Call 866-562-7625, then use selections 4, 2 and 1.

Follow the voice prompts to verbally request a confirmation, then enter your booking number. The system will send a complete booking confirmation to the email address on file.

Note that this only works for U.S. bookings.

Just returned from Grandeur last Thursday - and while I enjoy the Freedom class ships - Grandeur's staff were wonderful - the main dining room was great - really, no need to any other "restaurant" for me - and a very easy ship to navigate. Was just looking to see if I could book another on her - before our next one next October.

We are cruising on Grandeur (our first time on this ship) in a few days, and really looking forward to it. First time in a JS which will be nice for our 12 day S. Car. (longest cruise for us). The first cabin we booked had the pole so we switched cabins. Booked over a year ago and only read good things. Thanks for all the additional info here.

I'll be sure to get back with a review.... can't wait.

We are cruising on Grandeur (our first time on this ship) in a few days, and really looking forward to it. First time in a JS which will be nice for our 12 day S. Car. (longest cruise for us). The first cabin we booked had the pole so we switched cabins. Booked over a year ago and only read good things. Thanks for all the additional info here.

Thanks I'll look forward to your review!

Did NE / Nova Scotia cruise from Baltimore Sept 2016- Grandeur- loved the smaller ships.

Had great crew . Not as much GLITZ as the larger ships= Going to Key West & belize - April 2018- Rhapsody- same plan- we are in the same cabin as last yr. Looking forward to the small ship again.

Did NE / Nova Scotia cruise from Baltimore Sept 2016- Grandeur- loved the smaller ships. Had great crew . Not as much GLITZ as the larger ships= Going to Key West & belize - April 2018- Rhapsody- same plan- we are in the same cabin as last yr. Looking forward to the small ship again.

Edited by djay
duplicate

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and positive remarks. When I saw this great deal yesterday (no air fare either), I was very excited. I cannot believe the price and itinerary!!!!

It seems the older we get, the less the bells and whistles appeal to us. We just returned from Celebrity, Equinox last week. The food and service were impeccable. Met tons of wonderful people and we realized in the grand scale of things, we enjoyed it much more than anticipated.

Yes, we still loved the mega ships, but for now....just looking for relaxing ships. Very strange...I received notice via text, that my deposit was withdrawn, but I did not receive a confirmation from RCCL. Oh, well. Easily rectifiable. I will just call them later.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

we sailed her sister , the silhouette they are grand ladies!!!

Our first cruise was on the Grandeur. I've been on her several times & am going again in 2 weeks. It's like going home. All the crew have been very nice & accommodating. They have helped even without asking. I met one of them in Bermuda in the fort at Dockyard & he stayed with me. It felt comfortable having someone with me as DH can't walk that well & wasn't with me. I could always find something to eat that was good.

Such great input and advice!!!! I finally received our conformation and cannot wait for this cruise. Geezzz, I just returned 2 weeks ago from an amazing cruise and already ansy to get back on a ship.

Going once a year is not enough for us, but only 1 more year until retirement. :cool::cool::cool:

Edited by champagne123

Such great input and advice!!!! I finally received our conformation and cannot wait for this cruise. Geezzz, I just returned 2 weeks ago from an amazing cruise and already ansy to get back on a ship.

Going once a year is not enough for us, but only 1 more year until retirement. :cool::cool::cool:

Others have mentioned the park and cruise too. It seems like there are several in the area. We're booked at the Best Western near Johns Hopkins. It was cheaper to stay a night and park there than park at the Maryland cruise terminal! It'll be our first time on Grandeur too. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How can you determine if the cabin has the pole?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be on the Grandeur for the “lucky” 13th time this Saturday. Love everything about her. We celebrated our 50th Anniversary 2 yrs ago on the Grandeur and will be celebrating our 52nd this December. We’ve done the first cruise in December every year for several years. Love cruising at that time with all the Christmas decorations. We try to cruise 3-4 times a year and the Grandeur is our choice of ships. Although we only live about 2 hrs away makes it an easy choice. Crew is fantastic and feels like family. You will not be sorry for booking this ship!

Gwen [emoji3]

:*

we will be on the grandeur for the “lucky” 13th time this saturday. Love everything about her. We celebrated our 50th anniversary 2 yrs ago on the grandeur and will be celebrating our 52nd this december. We’ve done the first cruise in december every year for several years. Love cruising at that time with all the christmas decorations. We try to cruise 3-4 times a year and the grandeur is our choice of ships. Although we only live about 2 hrs away makes it an easy choice. Crew is fantastic and feels like family. You will not be sorry for booking this ship!

Gwen [emoji3]

😘😘😘

Thanks I'll look forward to your review!

I'll do a live posting since I will have VOOM. Get your questions ready. Hopefully get some pix posted too, since now I know how to post them.

champagne123... good for you....I love looking forward to a future cruise.