Best thing for motion sickness?

Heathermcgrath

Going on first cruise in a couple weeks and wondering what the best thing is for motion sickness on the ship. We are mid ship. I don't usually get too motion sick however I want to be prepared. I have heard it is better to start taking whatever you use a few days before getting on the ship. Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Going on first cruise in a couple weeks and wondering what the best thing is for motion sickness on the ship. We are mid ship. I don't usually get too motion sick however I want to be prepared. I have heard it is better to start taking whatever you use a few days before getting on the ship. Any and all suggestions appreciated!
Look up sea bands. They are things you wear on your wrists and work great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The problem with starting those meds a couple days prior to cruise is that they have side effects. I'd bring along and take if you started to get woozy. Also bring some ginger candy- Trader Joe's has some. If you plan on the medicine then you're not supposed to drink.

Recently on a sailing that had rougher seas than anything I've experienced and we were high and forward. We didn't need medicine and did fine with ginger candy. Cabin steward said we were the only cabin in his section that wasn't sea sick. Even steward was sick. I think it was the ginger candy that saved us.

The problem with starting those meds a couple days prior to cruise is that they have side effects. I'd bring along and take if you started to get woozy. Also bring some ginger candy- Trader Joe's has some. If you plan on the medicine then you're not supposed to drink.

Recently on a sailing that had rougher seas than anything I've experienced and we were high and forward. We didn't need medicine and did fine with ginger candy. Cabin steward said we were the only cabin in his section that wasn't sea sick. Even steward was sick. I think it was the ginger candy that saved us.

Ginger candy is the best I heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Scopolamine patches seem to work great for everyone I know. I always bring some Zofran quick dissolve tablets since I have a bunch from my SO when she was pregnant. And yes I discussed it with my MD and they had no issues. On my last TA it was rough but I think my poor friends took more of them than I did. I was a bit queasy from a few too many the night before and the rough weather did me no favors in that department.

Ginger capsules. 2 taken 3x day when at sea controls perfectly. I can’t ride as passenger in a car yet have cruised more than 40 times with ginger. Used patch before that but side effects of dry mouth, enlarged pupils, and limited cocktails. Whole Foods and vitamin stores carry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

8 cruises down the Atlantic Ocean with a lot of very rough seas. We have taken Bonine once every morning of each cruise and never been sea sick or had side effects. I used to get very seasick on any boat before I started taking this. I also drink alcohol on the cruises without an issue.

Pills put me to sleep and make me drowsy. I am pron to being sea sick so I tried taking ginger capsules 2 days before cruise day and every day on the ship as a preventive measure. I also wear "sea bands". They are awesome. I've gotten queezy a few times and all I had to do was press on the sea band and it went away instantly.

Pills put me to sleep and make me drowsy. I am pron to being sea sick so I tried taking ginger capsules 2 days before cruise day and every day on the ship as a preventive measure. I also wear "sea bands". They are awesome. I've gotten queezy a few times and all I had to do was press on the sea band and it went away instantly.

I used "Sea Bands" and had no problem. I didn't want to drink alcohol and take oral medication.

The other thing we did was to look out at the horizon. I read this can help if the ship is really rolling. Remember that most cruises you rarely even notice that you are out at sea. I've been on many cruises and it wasn't till the last one on our way to Iceland that I felt a ship really rolling around as in glassware would slide off table if not held and walking up and down stairs was a weightless feeling you get on a roller coaster. Despite being forward and high stateroom location, we didn't get sick. I am certain it was the ginger candy and looking at horizon here and there. Your stateroom location midship is a much better location to prevent seasickness and it's fairly rare that a ship is rolling around in very rough seas.

I am prone to sea sickness and have tried many options. Reading cruise critic, I tried a product called Queze-ease which worked well (seas were 12-15 ft). It's a blend of essential oils in a tube about the size if a magic marker which you whiff as often as needed. I purchased on Amazon for around $13. If you try it, don't make the mistake I just made buying the quickie, thinking it was two small tubes - it's not - it's a snifter that doesn't close and is a waste of money. The tube lasts a long time so I'll be reordering it.

I also wear sea bands and bring along Bonine just to be safe.

Mid ship was a great choice. Crew has told us green apples work for them and I find going outside (weather permitting) the fresh air and looking at the horizon works.

Enjoy your cruise

I used the scop patch on my recent cruise. It worked great. I was not sick at all. Not even queasy. I drank all the alcohol I wanted. I do feel that I was more tired and had extremely dry mouth. It took about 3 days to get my energy level normal after taking it off. Im conflicted about whether to wear it on my next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As one who suffered severe hydration going to Hawaii I can tell you my savior as far as medicines go!!! I take Bonine two days before sailing and it works great for me. We sailed the Atlantic on very rough seas and I did not experience seasickness. My pharmacist recommended that I start the Bonine 2 days before the cruise. If the seas are rough I take one tablet every morning of the cruise. I am very thankful I have no side effects. I am allergic to ginger so that wouldnt work for me.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise,:)

This may sound strange but I have found that if I don't let my stomach get empty I am fine. Only been seasick once. I had not eaten lunch and the ship literally pulled away from the dock and I got seasick . Since then, many many cruises later, I just make sure to not let myself get empty and I am fine. Once the seas were so rough I had to hold onto the slot machine to not get thrown off my stool. I was fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

One thing no one mentioned is the true way to solve sea sickness as someone who spent years on the seas in the Navy.

Your inner ear follicles are unable to establish an equilibrium caused by the rocking motions and as a result causes the sick feelings (throw in alcohol etc.. for added affects). This is assuming you're not sick from food or alcohol overload etc.. But, mainly rocking motions.

Two things you need to do:

1) Focus on the horizon around the midships region where rocking is least.

2) Hands on the balcony railing and while looking out at the horizon straight on engage in a random conversation. Your body will need 20 minutes or so adjustment and I PROMISE you it works.

Feel free to use all these gimmicks people swear by, but ultimately your inability to balance your equilibrium can only be reset by you allowing your body to reset.

if all else fails, take advantage of your drink package so you can atleast enjoy being drunk and dizzy lol

The ingredient in Bonine is 25 mg Meclizine HC1. Of the many generic versions I buy Rugby Travel Sickness which is currently on Amazon for $7.39 for 100 tablets, no shipping charge if you are a Prime member. Bought my last bottle at local pharmacy for just over $6.00. They are tiny mildly flavored chewable tablets. One a day in the morning and I can ride in the back seat of a car, fly without fear of being airsick and have no worries about rough seas while cruising. When cruising I don't take one unless it is a tender day, shore excursion day or rough sea forecast because for me the ships are stable enough I don't need the medication. Tried sea bands, the patch etc and none were effective so this tiny pill was game changer for me.

Unfortunately, this is a personal trial-and-error thing. What works for one person may not work for another (as you can see from the many varied responses). As someone who is extremely prone to motion sickness, and has tried literally every possible remedy under the sun, the only thing that works well for me is the prescription scopolamine patch. Bonine would be my second choice, but it makes me pretty drowsy after taking it for more than a few days.

I would recommend planning on bringing a backup remedy just in case the first thing you bring doesn't work.

I agree that the pills work (dramamine, etc) but for me it's lights out after taking them. Fine if it's near bedtime but not in the day time. Ginger capsules work some what, they help ease it a bit but it's not a total cure for me. Sea bands are the best. However they are a bit ugly and bulky (if you are a fashion conscious female such as myself). I found these things called Queasy Beads, they are essentially Sea bands that look like jewelry and come in lots of styles. A good solution to helping the seasickness and still looking nice. There are also good in water, which sea bands are not, since they'll get all saturated and water logged. I have several pairs in different colors and designs to coordinate with whatever I'm wearing. They have some that look like wooden beads, I think a guy could get away with it too depending on his style.