enhanced drivers license

princess_mom

Hi - has anyone traveled on ncl lately without a passport, only an enhanced drivers license? I've done it before to the Bahamas and Bermuda, and most recently on Carnival to Canada. I reviewed the WHT1 government info for the US and Bahamas and looks like it is still fine. I just did my online check-in for my Nov BA cruise to the Bahamas and EDL was not available to choose as my form of ID. Makes me a little nervous :confused::o

Thanks!

TSA has a list of States with Real ID/compliant EDL and Passport Cards that meet the latest requirements - check yours against it.

Here in State of NY, we have been using my EDL and her non-driver Passport Card for domestic travel - paid extra fees for them; and, use ours for ID purposes, including domestic air travel. For cruises, we always carry our U.S. Passports, just in case - EDL is just our secondary ID and backup should it become necessary. Status of our EDL is "Under Review" while other states are "compliant" or given "extension"

This topic will surely come up again, over and over -

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

The EDL can be used in place of a passport for limited entry - parts of Carrib, Mexico and Canada. A regular DL and birth cert can still be used for closed loop cruises. The EDL is not for passport use elsewhere.

As to the EDL and air travel - that is another story. A few states have still not me the federal requirement by next year. Supposedly, those folks will have trouble flying. I will bet they will not.

I believe an earlier statement about EDL not being okay for flying was in error.

Thanks for the answers. mking - I am also in NY. From the link that you posted, it sounds like our "Real ID" compliance status is under review but my current EDL is still acceptable for cruising. My teens also have the Enhanced ID cards. I will definitely bring our birth certificates too, sounds like that works for closed loop cruises. Next year we are all getting passports!

The EDL can be used in place of a passport for limited entry - parts of Carrib, Mexico and Canada. A regular DL and birth cert can still be used for closed loop cruises. The EDL is not for passport use elsewhere.

As to the EDL and air travel - that is another story. A few states have still not me the federal requirement by next year. Supposedly, those folks will have trouble flying. I will bet they will not.

I believe an earlier statement about EDL not being okay for flying was in error.

I was out at MY local airport yesterday seeing a friend off. Signage in the lobby said that passports MAY BE required sometime in 2018 to board. I do not know if the signage was placed by our local airport board or from the one carrier serving this airport. I do know that Washington has had an extension for compliance granted.

Hi - has anyone traveled on ncl lately without a passport, only an enhanced drivers license? I've done it before to the Bahamas and Bermuda, and most recently on Carnival to Canada. I reviewed the WHT1 government info for the US and Bahamas and looks like it is still fine. I just did my online check-in for my Nov BA cruise to the Bahamas and EDL was not available to choose as my form of ID. Makes me a little nervous :confused::o

Thanks!

I used my Enhanced NY driver license on our NCL cruise to Canada back in June with no problems. In fact, although I did have my actual passport, I used the enhanced license for entry back into the US just to test it out. The Border Patrol officer said to me "oh, you have one of those fancy licenses", lol.

Remember though that it's always a good idea to bring your real passport when going out of country in case you have to fly back in an emergency.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the answers. mking - I am also in NY. From the link that you posted, it sounds like our "Real ID" compliance status is under review but my current EDL is still acceptable for cruising. My teens also have the Enhanced ID cards. I will definitely bring our birth certificates too, sounds like that works for closed loop cruises. Next year we are all getting passports!
I'm also from NY and have an Enhanced license. If your state issues an Enhanced license it is compliant and can be used for air travel. Why NY is "under review" is because of our "standard" licenses, not the Enhanced. NY has fairly recently redesigned their licenses but for sure not everybody has the new design.

So,,,, here’s the deal. It does not matter what CBP accepts, it matters what NCL and port security will accept at checkin. You can argue until you are blie in the face,,,, as your ship sails away. Follow the NCL instructions on ncl’s travel documentation requirements for your cruise.

The TSA is saying that EDL's aree not secure enough of an ID. Washington State is one of them. There may come a time soon where you will be required to have a passport to even board a domestic flight.

This statement is incorrect. EDL's are, in fact, accepted IDs for air travel under new TSA rules. It's the non-enhanced driver's licenses issued by Washington State that will no longer be accepted by the TSA starting sometime in 2018.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Q; Will a federal agency accept my Enhanced Driver’s License?

Yes. State Enhanced Driver’s Licenses (EDLs) designated as acceptable border-crossing documents by DHS under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative are acceptable for official federal purposes such as accessing a Federal facility or boarding a commercial aircraft. Individual agency policies may still apply.

Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington are the only states that currently issue EDLs. For more information on EDLs, please go to www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they.

I'm also from NY and have an Enhanced license. If your state issues an Enhanced license it is compliant and can be used for air travel. Why NY is "under review" is because of our "standard" licenses, not the Enhanced. NY has fairly recently redesigned their licenses but for sure not everybody has the new design.

I should also have specified the enhanced license works for "domestic air travel" only. The only thing you can fly international on is a real passport. :-)

So you have that EDL (Enhanced Drivers License) fine - just great - OK for those Closed Loop Cruises !

Fancy this you are traveling one of those closed loop cruises and you need urgent medical or otherwise

attention and the nearest port is not on or within closed loop itinerary. You are medevac to that port and

now without a Passport the "RED TAPE" begins to unravel !

Woulda - Couda - Shoulda have gotten that Passport - good luck with that EDL - you probably will be in

no condition to drive in that port country not that that matters - but the method to rapidly move you to a

US facility is now hampered without the Passport document.

I live in one of those EDL states (Minnesota) where the EDL is not all it should be and further political

conflicts exist whether it can be used for Identification or simply a drivers license.

First time getting the Passport maybe fraught with troublesome hurdles but the Passport is hands down

the perfect travel document. Valid for 10 years in most cases except for maybe the last 6 months with

restrictions from the travel provider. 1 single document does it all - no drivers license enhanced or funky

flaming hoops leap of faith to jump through - does not need a BC (Birth Certificate) to it back up - no

notarized seals stamps or impressions necessary. Passing a drivers test not required. Using a Drivers

License as an ID may cause you more trouble than what it is worth. Have had a DUI DWI or other incident

with your drivers license you maybe forbidden entry into Canada using it as a ID document.

In the future it will all be about the Passport - getting one now on the cheap side is a smart move - renewing

is easy to do - cruising with a Passport is the Enhanced travel experience !

Some states yes and others no.