Very angry with RCCL on overlooked 100 change fee snuck in later

When I found out on this Board that the solo rooms on Symphony were going away and they moved my room (yes to a nicer one) they also added back a change fee of $100 that was verbally told to me I would not have to pay 2 months ago when I changed from Barcelona to Miami.

I was put through to the "resolutions" department and I argued with them.

They refuse to acknowledge that 2 months ago NO change fee was promised to me when I moved from SOS cruise 2018 summer in Europe to and Symphony cruise in 2018 Caribbean. The fact that they reclassified some rooms recently and then added in my $100 in October I find to be misleading just a bit. Yes the agent made an error 2 months ago but RCI says they can not over ride any system automated charge. Apparently agents and supervisors have not way to provide goodwill for any of us Diamond folks. All they can do is find the agent back in August and tell them they made a mistake.

So let that be a lesson when you are told something verbally to check back later cause stuff happens without your knowledge. Sure I got a nicer room but the point is they won't try to make a customer happy with a small adjustment. I guess all you folks in the past who reserved several rooms including suites and then wait and cancel has now made RCI unbending and mean.

Yea to NCL that does not do this crap.

yes it did happen and I asked for a supervisor as well as their supervisor.

They kept apologizing and they kept reading me the note about $100 change. I was surprised in August when an agent told me they would not charge me and I was satisfied. But the Resolutions department would not budge. So yes it does happen. I guess in the end they figured my new room was 420 more value (I did a mock up) that I should just back off and accept the catchup $100 error on changing itinerary.

Funny I was on the phone earlier today with another cruise line (the freestyle folks) and the lady very nicely told me "You can call up anytime and make changes up until final payment"

I guess money it tight for RCI these days or they have had way too many Diamond folks complaining. But I told them I am a solo traveler and not in a suite or big room.

After next year I am so done with this cruise line. However I might call back another day and see what happens as each agent or boss differs. I can well afford the $100 but it is just the issue of the agent made a mistake back in August. oh well

Not sure why you keep throwing diamond around, your crown and anchor level has nothing to do with this issue.

Notes should have been made on your account two months ago saying you would not be charged a change fee if that is what you were told. Why was there going to be a fee anyway? Was this a non-refundable deposit cruise or a UK booking?

How did you find out your fare changed? If you did nothing to your reservation, the cruise total should not have changed.

As far as overriding, I was also told that supervisors can not override anything. I was told only resolutions can do it.

Having reserved and paid for a deluxe balcony guarantee and assigned an interior cabin, RCI will do what they please. We ended up moving our cruise, paying $400 more with $400 OBC to move to a lesser balcony cabin.

I kept being told, repeatedly, that RCI would lose too much money to make their mistake equal in my favor.

I’ll still book and cruise with RCI - last minute and cheapest balcony I can find. That is what my loyalty (D++ over 350 points) meant to RCI.

I cruised on Harmony, booked a suite. The suite lounge was overrun with 140 Pinnacles. According to the Ps, most were in suites. Leave on Oasis, last suite cruise as the cost is so much higher than the benefits one receives compared to other cruise lines.

With non refundable deposits, last minute bookings look even better. Watched prices drop so much for our next cruise that anyone booking within the past year, before final payment, overpaid. On the other hand, my booking from 2+ years ago, was still lower. Just don’t want to tie up my money, at my age, since health issues are popping up.

Not sure why you keep throwing diamond around, your crown and anchor level has nothing to do with this issue.

Notes should have been made on your account two months ago saying you would not be charged a change fee if that is what you were told. Why was there going to be a fee anyway? Was this a non-refundable deposit cruise or a UK booking?

How did you find out your fare changed? If you did nothing to your reservation, the cruise total should not have changed.

As far as overriding, I was also told that supervisors can not override anything. I was told only resolutions can do it.

EXCUSE ME but I don't think I was throwing it around. I can see if I was a first time cruiser but if they have a loyalty program then they should be willing to fix an error and be nicer. After all they are not the only game in town. NO the resolutions department would not make the change saying if an early agent makes a mistake they can then auto change in the system.

Besides you must not have read the original post where I did explain myself. :rolleyes:

Really the biggest problem I see is booking a nonrefundable and then changing the sail date that got the game $100 fee. It was stated in the contract and highly chatted about on a lot of forums. That is part of the deal on getting a cheaper rate and extra onboard credit.

Sent from my H1611 using Forums mobile app

EXCUSE ME but I don't think I was throwing it around. I can see if I was a first time cruiser but if they have a loyalty program then they should be willing to fix an error and be nicer. After all they are not the only game in town. NO the resolutions department would not make the change saying if an early agent makes a mistake they can then auto change in the system.

Besides you must not have read the original post where I did explain myself. :rolleyes:

In the OP you said you changed from one cruise to another, you did not say it was a non-refundable fare.

Loyalty status should have no bearing in fixing an error. If they only fixed errors for diamond members and not first time cruisers, that would be unethical.

In the OP you said you changed from one cruise to another, you did not say it was a non-refundable fare.

Loyalty status should have no bearing in fixing an error. If they only fixed errors for diamond members and not first time cruisers, that would be unethical.

I'm surprised they haven't complained about being charged this fee on their other cruise which they openly admit to having cancelled multiple times:confused: (yes they have another thread going where apparently RC shouldn't sail out of Southampton due to cost of getting there:eek:)

I'm surprised they haven't complained about being charged this fee on their other cruise which they openly admit to having cancelled multiple times:confused: (yes they have another thread going where apparently RC shouldn't sail out of Southampton due to cost of getting there:eek:)

For your information those were not RCI. My issue with RCI is a verbal promise was taken back with goodwill attempt to fix. The cost of Southampton was about transfers .

So there smarty trying to be mean and linking two posts

Out of curiosity...

when you Re booked the cruise.. didn't they send you a new Reservation invoice via email? Did you look at it?

If it does not have the change fee on the invoice when you made the change, I would think they would honor it.

If it did, and you just did not notice it....... Well...

For your information those were not RCI. My issue with RCI is a verbal promise was taken back with goodwill attempt to fix. The cost of Southampton was about transfers .

So there smarty trying to be mean and linking two posts

Actually your other thread stated it was the Independence. That is Royal, and you posted it on a Royal board. Not being mean, just commenting that you appear to have a habit of changing cruises on a very regular basis.

For someone that is supposedly an experienced cruiser, that openly admits they change cruises frequently, regardless of cruise line, these fees should not be a surprise.

Edited by Spurschick

Out of curiosity...

when you Re booked the cruise.. didn't they send you a new Reservation invoice via email? Did you look at it?

If it does not have the change fee on the invoice when you made the change, I would think they would honor it.

If it did, and you just did not notice it....... Well...

When I Changed 2 months ago they DID NOT charge me as they verbally told me no charge. Only when RCI removed all solo rooms and assigned me another ocean view room did the 100 dollars show up. It was auto done and they wont honour invoice #2 only invoice #3. One agent told me they cant help. Oh well.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Actually your other thread stated it was the Independence. That is Royal, and you posted it on a Royal board. Not being mean, just commenting that you appear to have a habit of changing cruises on a very regular basis.

For someone that is supposedly an experienced cruiser, that openly admits they change cruises frequently, regardless of cruise line, these fees should not be a surprise.

Now look buddy dont get sassy. I never booked the independance but was asking questions about Southampton transfers. All my prior bookings and cancelled trips were on NCL and HAL. I have booked and changed many cruises over the years and I ALWAYS get my refund back. And just so you know last year Carnival made a change for me and waived their fee once for goodwill.

This not something RCI will do even after verbally promising. Lots of people on CC site also have issues too.

So stop being sassy and snippy. I have a right to start a posting about my situation.:o

This I don't believe. They can do anything they want, as long as they are willing to take it high enough.

yes it did happen and I asked for a supervisor as well as their supervisor.

They kept apologizing and they kept reading me the note about $100 change. I was surprised in August when an agent told me they would not charge me and I was satisfied. But the Resolutions department would not budge. So yes it does happen.

You have misunderstood what Bob is saying. He’s not disbelieving you. He’s not believing what they said.

You have misunderstood what Bob is saying. He’s not disbelieving you. He’s not believing what they said.

Oh sorry. Well it was an awkward sentence and it felt like that. So considering some of the mean spirited comments, I am rather sorry I even shared my story. I don't do CC often but I see other posts where someone had an issue or complaint and then out come the meanies

Really folks.

Now look buddy dont get sassy. I never booked the independance but was asking questions about Southampton transfers. All my prior bookings and cancelled trips were on NCL and HAL. I have booked and changed many cruises over the years and I ALWAYS get my refund back. And just so you know last year Carnival made a change for me and waived their fee once for goodwill.

This not something RCI will do even after verbally promising. Lots of people on CC site also have issues too.

So stop being sassy and snippy. I have a right to start a posting about my situation.:o

Actually I wasn't being sassy or snippy. Your other post is titled Transportation to Southampton for Independance. You are now saying you didn't book independence. Many could be forgiven for misunderstanding your comments there.

Yes you have a right to voice your opinion. However others also have a right to respond. Just because we disagree with things doesn't mean anyone is being mean, snarky or snippy.

My comments were based on the fact that you have openly admitted to changing multiple cruises, regardless of lines. RC new change fees have been well known for several months. You clearly knew at some point of this or it would not have come up in discussion. Yet why you felt it acceptable to get a verbal agreement without it in writing is beyond me. The fact that you can not get them to agree to waive this fee without it being in writing is not a surprise to most on this board.

That's not being mean that's called common sense to ensure you have your agreement in writing just in case as evidence.

I wish you luck but you have clearly stated you are done with RC so it appears the other lines that are more amenable to your change of plans on a regular basis is probably more suited to you.

I would like to understand your complaint. Please tell me if this is correct:

You changed your cruise completely. You knew that there would be a change fee of $100. Someone at RC told you that they would not charge you this fee, even though that is their usual practice.

Is this correct so far?

Then they DID charge you the fee, whatever the reason.

Is that correct?

So you are angry about paying a fee that you knew, when you changed your cruise, you would have to pay?

When I Changed 2 months ago they DID NOT charge me as they verbally told me no charge. Only when RCI removed all solo rooms and assigned me another ocean view room did the 100 dollars show up. It was auto done and they wont honour invoice #2 only invoice #3. One agent told me they cant help. Oh well.

But you stated you changed from Barcelona to Miami which sounded like a cruise change. Now you are saying it is a fee from a cabin change when you were moved from solo room to ocean view. I'm sorry but I don't think I'm the only person who is confused by the circumstances here.

Actually I wasn't being sassy or snippy. Your other post is titled Transportation to Southampton for Independance. You are now saying you didn't book independence. Many could be forgiven for misunderstanding your comments there.

Yes you have a right to voice your opinion. However others also have a right to respond. Just because we disagree with things doesn't mean anyone is being mean, snarky or snippy.

My comments were based on the fact that you have openly admitted to changing multiple cruises, regardless of lines. RC new change fees have been well known for several months. You clearly knew at some point of this or it would not have come up in discussion. Yet why you felt it acceptable to get a verbal agreement without it in writing is beyond me. The fact that you can not get them to agree to waive this fee without it being in writing is not a surprise to most on this board.

That's not being mean that's called common sense to ensure you have your agreement in writing just in case as evidence.

I wish you luck but you have clearly stated you are done with RC so it appears the other lines that are more amenable to your change of plans on a regular basis is probably more suited to you.

Just to be clear 2 months ago the agent told she would not charge me. I said "are you sure because it states that I have to pay". Now to me this month they changed my room without asking me. However I did get a nicer room facing out front of ship. And a mock up showed me today prices would be 420 dollars more. So I saved 300 and so good.

But say you bought a jacket ot purse and you decided to return it to the store, how would like it if they did not give a full refund for unused item because the prior clerk under charged you. That is all I am saying

And over the last year I have seen so many folks angry on CC on all cruise lines for lousy customer service. To think I was treated better by Carnival.

I am on NCL Escape in 2 weeks and doing a week pass at thermal spa. Did ya know when you call them to change or cancel they say "sure no problem, life happens". So think about these two compared to RCI which is getting mean and that was my point

I myself am not mean and I realize you are not either. Toodles peace out lady.

Quite simply, I think what the OP is trying to say is that - RCI canceled the room because of a design change with the ship, moved her (him) to another room because of a design change and then charged her/him for it.

The change to Miami didn't include a change fee (or the OP is leading us to believe that the change did not originally include the fee).

So she (he) is upset that because RCI changed her room (their fault) she (he) has to pay for this.

That's my take on it. But I'm a few beers in at this point.

I think what we need to clarify (as someone previously posted) is if the change fee showed up on documentation that was sent after the change to Miami (regardless of what the Agent stated) that could have possibly been overlooked.

If there was no change fee after the change to Miami on the documentation then I'd be a little PO'd too. Maybe not PO'd but certainly trying to make sense of it.

It's like you are booked in an obstructed oceanview and they move you to a regular unobstructed Oceanview and charge you 100$ without asking if you wanted to move.

Sure it might be a slightly nicer room but they should have asked if you wanted it for 100$ more without automatically assuming.

But my personal take is that the charge would have been made when the OP swapped to Miami and it was ovelooked by the OP.

Who knows.... what's 100$ these days ;)

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

But say you bought a jacket ot purse and you decided to return it to the store, how would like it if they did not give a full refund for unused item because the prior clerk under charged you. That is all I am saying

If I go to the store and find a jacket or purse for $100 and I use a 20% off coupon and pay $80 for it, if I return it, I expect to get $80 back, not $100

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But you stated you changed from Barcelona to Miami which sounded like a cruise change. Now you are saying it is a fee from a cabin change when you were moved from solo room to ocean view. I'm sorry but I don't think I'm the only person who is confused by the circumstances here.

I am also confused. The RCI agent you spoke with 2 months ago did not document that you would not be charged the $100 change fee, and you have nothing in writing to substantiate your claim. Appears you are fighting a loosing battle with the Resolution Department.

I'm surprised they haven't complained about being charged this fee on their other cruise which they openly admit to having cancelled multiple times:confused: (yes they have another thread going where apparently RC shouldn't sail out of Southampton due to cost of getting there):eek:

Not to hijack.. just a comment. With miles, free first class air to London is crazy. $1368 for two... and that was the lowest. :rolleyes: