Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Aren't TA's agencies under a contract of some sort with the cruise lines they market? Surely there must be something in the contract which species their commission. And surely there must be something outlining their financial obligations if something goes south. Surely no agency would agree to swallowing the complete cost in that case.

Credit card companies in the UK are responsible for everything charged on a card as though they supplied it. There are two ways to receive your cash back from a credit card company. Chargeback is voluntary and a service to card holders. Section 75 is a legal obligation but specifically excludes travel agent organised holidays. So chargeback is better for us.

Cruise operators will undoubtedly never have agreed a contract with a TA to reimburse them for chargebacks and TAs probably never think of it until it happens.

DW and J....Autocorrect has resulted in some hilarious messages though. Great entertainment value but frustrating as all get out to the sender.

Stumble.....half the fun of aging is ranting at the clouds! :) In this case an old woman!

It’s because knowing how SS behaves, I don’t expect the agent will be able to recoup the loss from them and I don’t feel comfortable about that. Yes the agent has been useless but I believe it’s SS that’s at fault and I don’t believe they’ll do the right thing and reimburse the agent.

Thanks J for the further explanation. I would have thought that the legal eyes for the Travel Agencies would have at least considered that possibility. Especially in the UK.

And DW...I guess a contract does not mean much to SS in regard to obligations to passengers. And I agree that J's suggestion would provide more "visibility" to the issue at hand.

It’s because knowing how SS behaves, I don’t expect the agent will be able to recoup the loss from them and I don’t feel comfortable about that. Yes the agent has been useless but I believe it’s SS that’s at fault and I don’t believe they’ll do the right thing and reimburse the agent.

Why did you use an agent instead of booking directly with SS?

I believe an agent is supposed to be the pax's 'advocate' both before the cruise and after (should any problems arise). It seems your agent has 'dropped the ball' on both accounts. I would have no problem sticking the agent with the bill.

SS has a very convoluted process of acquiring our money.

In Au , the TA accepts CC payments in aud , and then forwards a Cash transfer to SS London.

I was asked (politely) to pay the Int transfer fee last time…

I assume that in Au the TA would bear the brunt of any chargeback.

Greetings Coolers!

Busy morning here in the Cooler Bar. Canada is now dealing with the US's tariffs on steel and aluminum and facing the threat of tariffs on vehicles made here. Our government instituted tariffs effective July 1 that were proportional to the ones instituted by the US. Not more, not less and targeted to a basket of goods manufactured in States where mid-term elections might adversely affect the current party in power. And things could get ugly!

Today's funny...because we all need funny...

26195841_1945814715432746_4762509792992473827_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=1f49401b8477c8d276c05b1e4fe3a891&oe=5BCE21A9

Have a great day all!

Lovely funny M!

Mudhen, I think the feeling that Brits have towards Americans is that we are all in this together. And whilst they find Mr Trump bewildering I feel that thinking people understand how and why it happened. So don”t worry about encountering Brits.

Today was a lovely fresh wild sea bass with some Bredon champers on the balcony.

3188c27fd45de1c77ceb7c04ef654b28.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good evening all,

Well a rather interesting day all in all. I’d have loved to have known what the Queen thought of him. Can I just ask our American friends are you seeing all of the protests on TV over there too?

Lovely Sea bass Jeff, hope the suns shining on balcony. We had a long awaited shower this morning here which has freshened things up nicely.

Davey, he's all yours, no take backs. It's like the hot potato game, see who you can pass him off to next (France was all kissy face with him this time last year, launch him thru the chunnel).

Mysty, I am so saddened by the rhetoric going on. My inlaws came down from Montreal & Toronto for the Canada Day/4th of July BBQathon last week, it's just awful. My BIL's passport was expiring on the 4th, and I made the crack that if they wouldn't let him back in to Canada with the expired passport, claim refugee status! I'm wondering how all this is going to effect all our friends from the north that come down for track season in Saratoga.

J, that fish looked really good. I had yummy leftovers for lunch today, so not as needy today.

Guess I better get back to work, finish up since I leave a little early to go to the airport and pick up Mr. Wonderful, before he leaves again on Monday morning for more work travel......

Jan

Good evening all ...

Some papers have said that there were 250,000 protesters and certainly from the piccies central London looked full. I’m surprised to see so many politicians involved who normally stay muted. I really hope Americans don’t interpret it as anti-American because it isn’t.

American’s may not remember the last visit of The Beast, but in Ireland it actually grounded.

ab1fddc9ed47a59442f58d47666c7da2.jpg

ac5af20980611de7e7da94d24caeaca5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Relatively poor aspirant here...

The Orangeman continues to garner the headlines, stir the pot, get in the spotlight and offend, and that's just what he wants.

Meanwhile Mueller continues to creep on soft cat feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Have you sailed SB before Jeff?

We’re not sure who to sail with next. I was hoping for an Autumn adventure but not sure we can make it work so maybe spring for us next. Been looking at SB and Azamara. Really loving the look of the edge too. I suppose it would be ok in a suite and away from the masses but not keen on the itineries.

No I haven’t but it is difficult to judge what is suitable and what isn’t. On the boozecrooze I only had one meal in the MDR and we had to abandon it. Cold raw pasta. So five nights out of seven it was self-cooked steak. Others probably thought the food was good. I’m happy to forgo the food as long as the experience is “normal” ie not sharing it with a large group.

Wifey noticed this review of the cruise that followed ours. Not encouraging.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=625499

Yes I saw that one Jeff. There seem to be a very large number of very disappointed people leaving reviews on there at the mo, especially regarding the Muse. I submitted my review at the beginning of the week and it hasn’t been published yet. Have you had good weather at seaside?

Pleased you are enjoying the Cooler particularly the food pics!

The outcome for those on The Boozecrooze and Dave’s cruise has now past. They won’t budge ... it is a big fat zero. I think it best encapsulated by Ali MacGraw ... Silversea loves it`’s customers and and “Love is never having to say sorry”!

Dave and I and others have been told that there will be no recompense and so we will need to litigate in order to get a fair resolution. Not something I had thought we’d have to do when we booked a Silversea cruise ....

Onwards and upwards .... and tomorrow is lemon sole on the balcony@seaside.