Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Some good meals, Jeff. Happy to see the Gruner Veltliner! Crazy stuff re: Brexit. You might need something stronger. We've been drinking lots of Tanqueray and Tonic since the weather got hot. I enjoy the Fever Tree "real" tonic.

Anyone following the amazing cave rescue going on in Thailand? Cave diving is not for the faint of heart, for sure.

Made some miso glazed sticky chicken wings tonight. And I used up some leftover potato salad on the side. After crisping the wings in the air fryer, I glazed them with a mixture of shiro miso, brown sugar, water, lime juice, fish sauce, and a fresh hot pepper from the garden. Served with cilantro and lime.

i-2mcB3dT-L.jpg

We had it with some Bukettraube - an obscure varietal that I'd not heard of until we had it in an African restaurant in (of all places), Disney's Animal Kingdom in Florida. That was a few years ago.

i-7nwTthQ-X3.jpg

When we tried the Bukketraube, the waiter told us that we better not enjoy it too much, because we'd never be able to find it. Challenge accepted! I immediately took a picture of the label and looked it up on my Vivino app, and the app told me that it was available for special order at a store about 20 miles from home. So I ordered a case of it, and when the waiter came back with the next course, I showed him my successful order. He was most definitely surprised!

PS it was a great weekend with my Brother, SIL, and the two nieces from Denmark. We are both pretty tired but it was worth it. Really enjoyed seeing them and looking forward to the next visit in just two months - this time in Copenhagen!

The kids are 5-1/2 and almost 3. They are still a little shy because we hardly ever see them but after a day at least the older girl warmed up to us a bit. Here we are - my brother with the younger niece, Chris, and me with the older niece. His wife is taking the picture.

i-Nw34b5M-X2.jpg

In this one, they traded spots. The younger girl is definitely having second thoughts about all these pictures...

i-Cb6n7X4-XL.jpg

Well, hopefully they will remember us in two months. :hearteyes:

Lovely meal JP! And beautiful family pics! Obviously the visit was a success!

And the cave diving thing is a nail-biting experience. Hopefully the remaining 4 lads and coach will make it out!

Rp....unfortunately I didn't really know anything about the man. :( I was just reacting to the words. On our news last night there was mention that he was a bit of a "cactus". I do hope that someone with the country's interests at heart steps up to the plate.

Rp....unfortunately I didn't really know anything about the man. :( I was just reacting to the words. On our news last night there was mention that he was a bit of a "cactus". I do hope that someone with the country's interests at heart steps up to the plate.

The English love a buffoon but this joke went tragically wrong

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-english-love-a-buffoon-but-the-boris-johnson-joke-went-tragically-wrong-2m3fmt5km?shareToken=bd2b4bf1971c0709f42f4f32a43bf84e

From limerick to Libya, a career in gaffes

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/as-foreign-secretary-boris-johnson-was-the-diplomat-who-refused-to-learn-diplomacy-wncqfssvp?shareToken=0d712beb6ede05f71b8924a52c82feba

All just another great reason to live under the world..life is good.. :-)

Hi tgh. I love your posts, both here and in another place, but I have to disagree with you somewhat. Life is good if you have a job, or a good pension etc. I fit into that category. Not so good if you are a refugee incarcerated on Nauru or Manus Island with no real prospect of freedom. I'm assuming anything including political comment is okay in this thread as long as politely delivered though I'll also assume that most people here won't have a clue what I am alluding to.

Hi tgh. I love your posts, both here and in another place, but I have to disagree with you somewhat. Life is good if you have a job, or a good pension etc. I fit into that category. Not so good if you are a refugee incarcerated on Nauru or Manus Island with no real prospect of freedom. I'm assuming anything including political comment is okay in this thread as long as politely delivered though I'll also assume that most people here won't have a clue what I am alluding to.

Some of us do. Or think we do!

I'm sure you do.

I was in Oz on the day of “The Apology” and also was watching TV when Julie Gillard gave her speech. Both in their different ways memorable moments.

And as I never tire to remind anyone prepared to listen .... one of my cousisn was a GG!

Thanks again J! Ms. Phillips is a very powerful writer! And a very clear thinker! I think she is right about people losing confidence in democracy and the power of their votes. The value of truth seems to be waning and lies are not considered to be character flaws. Trust???? Hard to find any reasons to trust anyone these days...least of all politicians.

The moment we pick up our ball and leave and explain we are content with WTO and that “no deal” means no further payments then that will trigger further EU implosion and a reality check.

The trouble is that May thinks that she is a “Merkel” She is no Merkel.

I understand the "pick up the ball and go home" idea J! I really feel that Canada should do the same in the NAFTA discussions. Stop kowtowing to the bullying and just say "NO". This is not a game!

I forgot to mention the continued good humour of those signs M. :D

Tonight we head off to the Balcony, Helga willing. She needs some new shoes when we return .. something that will take the GDP of a small nation. Meanwhile, *** the world ...

458848dcb4421e352db546a496f38f25.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Safe travels to the Balcony J and Mrs. J! Hope the weather gods smile on your stay! And yes....

Make the world go away

Get it off my shoulder

Say the things we used to say

And make the world, make it go away........

Safe travels to the Balcony J and Mrs. J! Hope the weather gods smile on your stay! And yes....

Make the world go away

Get it off my shoulder

Say the things we used to say

And make the world, make it go away........

Thanks M .. and Dave.

I think most of us now know and understand that we were conned when we voted to join the Common Market, and now we're being conned as we leave.

On a not too dissimilar topic.

It is now over 4 weeks that I originally wrote to the Silversea UK office as requested whilst on board and have so far received no offer of compensation from them as had been very clearly promised whilst on board.

Whatever was intended to be understood, no one hearing the reassurances we and others received whilst on board could have interpreted them as meaning that we would be completely ignored and be offered no compensation at all.

How this company has changed ......I find it bewildering but even more saddening. :(

Melanie as she often does has put her finger on it.

Betrayed Leave voters will give up on politics

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/betrayed-brexit-voters-will-give-up-on-politics-jzs9z2bxk?shareToken=d3cb0f1bb1f2f4e84e0d861097f35f75

Remain voters were betrayed by the calling of a referendum to appease divisions in the Conservative Party, betrayed by the fact that the Leave campaign was illegal, betrayed by the self-seeking Johnson, betrayed by the Rees-Moggite Faction who want to destroy our country.

Remain voters were betrayed by the calling of a referendum to appease divisions in the Conservative Party, betrayed by the fact that the Leave campaign was illegal, betrayed by the self-seeking Johnson, betrayed by the Rees-Moggite Faction who want to destroy our country.

Rod,

You made it clear a couple of years back how you voted, and then posted that Boris has caused your meals overseas to be increased by £10 a go something that ascribes too him a bit more influence than I think he had over the £1.

I'd like to welcome you to the Cooler. The way it normally goes is that we respect others and their opinions and as a result we listen and learn. When people do, others engage. When they don't they tend to get ignored.

:)

Rod,

You made it clear a couple of years back how you voted, and then posted that Boris has caused your meals overseas to be increased by £10 a go something that ascribes too him a bit more influence than I think he had over the £1.

I'd like to welcome you to the Cooler. The way it normally goes is that we respect others and their opinions and as a result we listen and learn. When people do, others engage. When they don't they tend to get ignored.

:)

Fair enough. You said how Leave voters felt and I responded with how Remain voters felt. So why does that need a lecture?