Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Apropos of nothing....another lovely pic from Canada:

Okanagan Lake is home to sandy beaches, wineries and orchards set against a backdrop of rising cliffs and forested bluffs. It's also the home of Ogopogo, Canada's version of the Loch Ness Monster. In 1926, 30 cars full of people on the shore of Lake Okanagan in British Columbia, witnessed something that would haunt them for the rest of their lives. A series of huge, serpentine humps rose and fell through the calm lake waters, cutting a large wake behind them. All the witnesses agreed that the humps must belong to the lake’s resident monster, Ogopogo, making this one of the most credible monster sightings ever documented.

36612685_1763896156990741_7204731515039645696_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=11ff1672044c6b6dc55661aa0620228d&oe=5BE70430

Cooler posts/pics keep bringing back great memories of my childhood i.e. early 1960s family vacations in British Columbia/Alberta.

My Grandparents lived in Kelowna. Every summer we would go visit (driving from Victoria) and I spent may happy hours on the shores of Lake Okanagan... and of course Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise etc. The world was all 'new' then. :)

Welcome back Jeff! Glad to see you haven't given it up for good.

Cold front here...high only 95F today. Grilling a steak and breaking out a red blend to celebrate.

The pool is crazy warm after the past few days. It's up to 91F, even though we've taken the solar cover off! We will go in after dark once the air cools off.

Hot inside as well. I've had to put ice in the aquarium these past few days. Don't want the corals bleaching.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks JP ...

I've been mulling over your comment about metabolism which I know to be correct. It seems to me that there doesn't appear to be any physical outward signs when the metabolism is working overdrive to when it seems sleepy and I was wondering why if high metabolism doesn't seem to manifest itself in any harmful physical way and doesn't hurt you, then why hasn't anyone developed a medication that can trigger a speeding up of it. Or why is it that there isn't a way of fooling it into a spurt ie a regime you can follow that fools it into an accelerated state when it decides to slumber. I'm just surprised there's no commonly agreed fix for it.

I'm still around a stone or so down from my high of around nearly three weeks ago, but I lost all that in the first seven days and the last 12 days or so has lost nothing further with pretty much the same diet - I only had half of one of those potatoes ...... And if I go to Seaside next week it will go up a pound or five. As you get older the balance between the two components of weight loss ie exercise and calorie intake tends to move towards less exercise than when you are in your thirties say and you rely more on diet and I'm surprised that there seems so few common ground and agreement on the best things to be doing. Eating less helps for a short while and then stops and once that metabolic rate sleeps you simply eat normally you seem to gain weight much faster than you lost it when "fasting". It seems to me that we seem to have made such little real progress in understanding all this.

I want a metabolic pill. :)

Thyroid hormone will work... Problem is that it will catabolize muscle just as much as fat. And cause cardiac arrhythmias which lead to heart failure. Perfect solution other than that...

Tonight's dinner, cooking...

i-98qTXqn-L.jpg

It is true that weight loss is easier when you are younger. We lost a bunch in our late 30s. It's coming back. Time for one more effort!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I’ve never heard of Ogopogo.

Growing up in Victoria and visiting Kelowna on Lake Okanagan ever summer, I was surrounded by sea and lake 'monsters' (Loch Ness eat your heart out).

Look up -

Cadborosaurus ('Caddy'), named after Cadboro Bay in Victoria. My dad absolutely swore he's seen Caddy in the 1940s (and I believe he believed he saw it).

Late start at the TTS household today. Expended too much energy watching England's progression via penalties to the 1/4 finals of the World Cup. Yes, I know I'm Irish and shouldn't care but I do, so there. Big family get-together at the weekend to see if the team can do the same against Sweden to get into the semis. Been a splendid World Cup competition so far (Schadenfreude? Germany? Moi?) but too hard on the nerves!

Greetings Coolers!

Our neighbours to the south are celebrating the 242nd anniversary of the founding of the United States. Happy Birthday! Hope everyone enjoys the party!

TTS.....best wishes for your favourite team!

A little background on today's funny. Back in 2005, the local Chevron gas station in Seattle’s Wallingford neighborhood converted their auto repair shop into a convenience store. Their outdoor sign—once used for service promotions and store specials—became redundant with the inside of the store already plastered with signage. So the owners decided to have fun with the outdoor sign instead, and the@WallingfordSign was born.

unnamed%2B%252811%2529.jpg

Have a great day all!

Our neighbours to the south are celebrating the 242nd anniversary of the founding of the United States. Happy Birthday! Hope everyone enjoys the party!

So the owners decided to have fun with the outdoor sign instead, and the@WallingfordSign was born.

YES!! Loved the sign about those "Bacon Seeds". Very funny! Could it be true that wonderful bacon comes from seeds?

Appreciate the greetings for the USA's July 4th Celebration. Loving the World Cup and seeing various sights/landmarks from Russia. Big win yesterday by the Brits. Congratulations and best wishes against Sweden.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 207,072 views for this posting.

It is weird that after all this time and on the 4th july that some think that Great Britain is the same as England .....:D

So to "educate" those of us in the "Colonies", the English or "three lions" team does not include the Scots, right? Get that clear difference. Are Wales and Northern Ireland excluded from the description of being English? Does Britain or Great Britain equal and only mean the United Kingdom?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 227,819 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Good morning and yes, thanks for the birthday wishes:)

The heat outside is normal for where I live but I must say the Northeast is NOT used to mid to high 90s every day:eek:

JP, hope you and Chris are doing ok!

We have the day off so I will be doing most of my packing today and then going to my sister's later this afternoon for dinner.:)

Have a good day everyone:)

The Welsh are not English. The Scottish are Not English. Etc.

The UK includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland which are separate countries. Though they all comprise the United Kingdom of Great Britain, a common misconception is that the countries are common entities. Though they share a monarch, they are different countries.

To be clear:

The United Kingdom

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (to give its full name) refers to the political union between England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The UK is a sovereign state, but the nations that make it up are also countries in their own right. From 1801 to 1922 the UK also included all of Ireland. The Channel Islands and Isle of Man are not part of the UK, but are Crown Dependencies.

Great Britain

Great Britain is the official collective name of of England, Scotland and Wales and their associated islands. It does not include Northern Ireland and therefore should never be used interchangeably with ‘UK’ – something you see all too often.

British Isles

This is purely a geographical term – it refers to the islands of Great Britain and Ireland – including the Republic of Ireland – and the 5000 or so smaller islands scattered around our coasts. Remember this only refers to geography, not nationality, and while the Republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles, its people are not British – a very important distinction.

I hope that’s explained the very different meanings between UK, Great Britain and British Isles.

GB-UK-BI-3.png

J...thanks for the lesson in correct terminology for those of us in the colonies who are sadly lacking in our education.

And to make up for gaffes.....here is a funny for you.....

36707690_1765314873515536_2904687121019174912_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=75e3e959e3048d51a59359019d0127eb&oe=5BA7259E