Television - Princess Ships

Mad Jayhawk

This is funny. I didn’t know they stopped playing The Love Boat and it was one of the things I would so much enjoy if I ever get on Princess. Now I’m bummed that I won’t get to see any reruns. I am currently thinking about going on The Royal.

We're the same.

We look forward to watching love boat in our cabin to finish off each night as much as the cruise itself.....it takes all sorts....

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Forums mobile app

This is funny. I didn’t know they stopped playing The Love Boat and it was one of the things I would so much enjoy if I ever get on Princess. Now I’m bummed that I won’t get to see any reruns. I am currently thinking about going on The Royal.

Don't they have the Love Boat on your cable system at home?

on regal last week i loved all the on demand stuff they had. really excellent compared to the crappy news stations i endured on NCL . why do they think people want 10 stations of news? who wants to hear all that depressing crap when you are on vacation. its enough to make you jump overboard.

Just off the Regal last Sunday.

MSNBC, CNBC, Fox, BBC were the only news channels. Two ESPN, kids channels, The Bridge Cam, Wake Show and a couple of others.

It is difficult to access inputs on the side of the LG TV's. I did manage to connect a HDMI cable to the TV and my camera but I could not access my photos to display on the TV.

I was told by a few that these new LG TV's have custom software just for Princess and you cannot select any other inputs.

Howard

We got off the Emerald Princess a week ago after a 28 day cruise. The entertainment director told us that to get the on demand tv installed would require the ship to be out of service and in a shipyard like it will be in 2019 for a dry-docking maintenance period. He said the conversion would require running new cables from the communications center beside the theater to each cabin and would cost about 1.5 million dollars.

We don't watch a lot of TV on a cruise, but I don't understand why they couldn't make the same choices available on the older ships by now that they have on Royal/Regal.

Hi Mr Steelers,

I don’t watch anything but to Super Bowl because I would hate to miss the Patriots last game of the year.

Go Patriots!!!!!!!!! OK Go Steelers (!).

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

We got off the Emerald Princess a week ago after a 28 day cruise. The entertainment director told us that to get the on demand tv installed would require the ship to be out of service and in a shipyard like it will be in 2019 for a dry-docking maintenance period. He said the conversion would require running new cables from the communications center beside the theater to each cabin and would cost about 1.5 million dollars.

What a gigantic shovelful. The Sapphire Princess had their TVs upgraded on the fly; all that needed to be done was to add the adapter to the back of each set to read the signal from an On Demand compatible remote, then install the new hard drive with the On Demand programming and swap out ever cabin's remote on a turnaround day once the system was ready. Emerald Princess was launched in 2007 so it is very likely all telecommunication cabling throughout the ship is twisted-pair which carries the TV signal much more efficiently than the coaxial cable most of us have in our homes for On Demand programming from your cable TV provider. Yes at some point the ship will have to move up to fiber-optic cables (for the Medallion and any promised improved internet connection) but in no way shape or form is that a pre-requisite for adding On Demand TV.

Just off the Regal last Sunday.

MSNBC, CNBC, Fox, BBC were the only news channels. Two ESPN, kids channels, The Bridge Cam, Wake Show and a couple of others.

It is difficult to access inputs on the side of the LG TV's. I did manage to connect a HDMI cable to the TV and my camera but I could not access my photos to display on the TV.

I was told by a few that these new LG TV's have custom software just for Princess and you cannot select any other inputs.

Howard

I found that to be true. You can't change the input to the TV but you can disconnect their input & reconnect your own HDMI cable. In some cabins it very difficult & others impossible to reach. Once we had a cabin that would let the TV swing out a few inches at the bottom which worked out OK but it was a real pain to keep changing the cable so I just abandoned using my own input.

Do they not have it (buried, somewhere) on a section of the interactive TV guide? Was the case on Regal in 2015 -- found all nine seasons (oddly, the final season's episodes were in the worst shape, while the first season looked pretty good!).

I'm in transit on Ruby now, with the old TV system. They played the series finale just this morning, so at least one ep is still in circulation...

That said, dearly wish this ship had the new system. Channels are all so rough looking, and I'm not sure if it's just the signal or the TV itself -- my remote last week was half broken (I upgraded cabins today, but the picture & sound are still lousy). Was quite a shock going back to this system on Caribbean & Ruby this year, after last being on Royal & Regal.

Unfortunately they don’t swivel.

07a3720b0d9cd7e946ab75a32143e7cf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But they do come off the wall quite easily, and they are super light. Just get your traveling partner to plug the cable in while you hold the tv, then put it back on the wall. I've done this on two wall mounted tvs on Princess.

Hi Mr Steelers,

I don’t watch anything but to Super Bowl because I would hate to miss the Patriots last game of the year.

Go Patriots!!!!!!!!! OK Go Steelers (!).

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Now, you got me. LOL. You should book two weeks earlier in order to catch the Pats last game of the year for this season.