Onboard Marina now. Observations from a newbie.

ToxM

On our September Marina Baltic, average age estimated to be about 65, very few elderly guests, most were "active seniors" well dressed and seemly fit and agile. There were a few 2 generational families.

Overall the guests as a whole had considerable similarities - no one nor group stood out. A friendly tone on the ship, like a golf course.

Was an excellent cruise and mostly what Oceania advertised and it certainly met my households requirements for a cruise line at this point in life.

Therefore, have just booked a far east February 2019 on Nautica.

The cruise mentioned was the Nautica June 25- July 15 sailing from Copenhagen to London, around Nordcapp and into Russia’s White Sea. I was told that because of the longer and unusual itinerary, that cruise attracts a more senior crowd. Senior it was!

An example of a ship tour episode on the current cruise on last day in Naples. I was on a private tour (4 of us) in Pompeii when we came across a woman on an O tour trying to push a wheel chair , hung up in bad ruts, up the rutted streets in the ruins. Her husband had gotten out of the chair but couldn’t negotiate the streets. She was livid about “being left by the tour group “. Our private Italian guide ask her” were you given a meeting place and time to meet if you leave or become separated from the Group “. The woman acknowledged they had and relayed it. Our tour guide then said” So you haven’t been left at all, you merely didn’t keep up with your Group that was doing a tour . You won’t be left unless you fail to show up at the meeting point.”

We picked up the wheel chair and carried it up to the top of the hill. Our tour guide then notified some security that assisted them out.

Two points to the episode:

1. Every tour description of Pompeii clearly states it’s not appropriate for wheelchairs. This couple’s attitude seemed to be that their tour guide should have been waiting on them and carrying the man around if need be! These are the cruisers many of us have a major problem with!

2. Why in the world did O even allow a wheel chair onto the bus for that tour? IMO, they should have had their bottoms turned around and sent back to the ship with out a tour refund.

I agree with you that wheelchairs are not appropriate for Pompeii on a bus tour. A party like that should have arranged a private tour for just themselves with the notice to tour guide about the wheelchair.

That said, it would appear that the tour guide of said group did the right thing - advised the people where to meet them without holding up the rest of the group. I obviously wasn't there but I hope that it was the tour guide that told them of this arrangement rather than some passenger "getting in their face" about it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I saw someone wearing a clown costume with a rainbow coloured wig. What’s wrong with cruisers wearing what they’re comfortable in?

So in this case, someone wearing a cowboy hat wouldn’t be outrageous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Thanks so much for this positive review! We will be on Marina in a few weeks so please be kind and leave some booze for us!haha

Cheers!

Never fear. Today is November 10th, we boarded on the 7th and there is still plenty of booze available! Even food ...

Mura

I wouldn’t be surprised if I saw someone wearing a clown costume with a rainbow coloured wig. What’s wrong with cruisers wearing what they’re comfortable in?

So in this case, someone wearing a cowboy hat wouldn’t be outrageous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess if you were raised in a circus or in a barn it would be acceptable for you to wear your hat at the dinner table

Where I was raised it was bad manners

YMMV

I guess if you were raised in a circus or in a barn it would be acceptable for you to wear your hat at the dinner table

Where I was raised it was bad manners

I agree it is bad manners to wear a hat at the dinner table*. I was raised the same way. However what someone wears won't have a bearing on whether I enjoy my cruise or not. Manners and customs are specific to different cultures. I don't feel that my customs have to be observed by everyone else. YMMV but you (the generic not specific) can mark that down as being tolerant.

*clown with markedly obnoxious rainbow wig included.

I agree it is bad manners to wear a hat at the dinner table*. I was raised the same way. However what someone wears won't have a bearing on whether I enjoy my cruise or not. Manners and customs are specific to different cultures. I don't feel that my customs have to be observed by everyone else. YMMV but you can mark that down as being tolerant.

*clown with markedly obnoxious rainbow wig included.

JMO & YMMV

But wearing a hat at the table other than for religious reason is bad manners & I will refuse to sit at the same table

Not sure if it is a custom to wear a cowboy hat at the table or not

My brother was born & raised in Houston he never wears a hat at the table

We had a man on our last HAL cruise who wore his hat at dinner every night ..we had assigned seating so we were all stuck with him if we wanted to use the MDR

Yes it did affect my dining experience more than someone wearing jeans or old men baggy pants

Wear what you like I do not have to sit with you though

I was raised the same way - no hats at the table. But I really couldn't care less if someone else does. In the same way I don't care if I share a table with someone who is obese, or wearing a tacky shirt, or even Southern! After all, that person might actually be a good person.

But like you say, JMO and YMMV.

I don't think I'm a stick in the mud, but when man at Jaques was wearing a baseball cap, it certainly did bother me.

I think that baseball caps are usually filthy, and I'd love to swab the inside for bacteria. My brother wears one all the time, and when he sits it on my kitchen table, I am grossed out!

A "nice" hat may be okay, but a baseball cap for dinner, no way!

JMO & YMMV

But wearing a hat at the table other than for religious reason is bad manners & I will refuse to sit at the same table

We had a man on our last HAL cruise who wore his hat at dinner every night ..we had assigned seating so we were all stuck with him if we wanted to use the MDR

Yes it did affect my dining experience more than someone wearing jeans or old men baggy pants

I'm sorry it ruined your cruise. Doesn't the HAL maître d' allow people to change tables especially if someone lives on the pretentious upper West Side? However wouldn't this be moot on O since it's open seating?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. Here on the Beach, the dress code is rather loose. You have to have some cloth on, somewhere. Since we bought here, we have become rather insensitive to human garb. One of the Beach's iconic restaurants, Joe's Stone Crab, has a sign demanding at least shoes and shirts on everyone. There are dogs here that are better dressed than some of the people. That is why we are quite accepting of what other passengers wear. Open seating also guarantee's that if someone is wearing an orange jumpsuit with black numbers on the back we will probably sit elsewhere.

Mary