Tipping at Specialty Restaurant

Jaymndad

I believe the op was trying to gather info in advance of their visit.... OP, we typically due, but it depends on the venue and the service, as example, in the steakhouse, the bill comes in at 75 and we "usually" tip 15 on top of that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe the op was trying to gather info in advance of their visit.... OP, we typically due, but it depends on the venue and the service, as example, in the steakhouse, the bill comes in at 75 and we "usually" tip 15 on top of that.

$ 75 think that is a typo you mean 35.

OP they do tell us that included in the $ 35 is the tip however they will never tell us how much of a tip is included.

There have been all sorts of threads on this as to how much of a tip but basically we have taken the position that we have tipped the waiter but if service is exemplary we will add something to the bill.

Do as you feel comfortable.

We do. I will usually put an additional $10 per person at the steakhouse.

ME three.

We have never had anything less than perfection for meals in the Steakhouse.

For JiJis and the Cucina we will base the extra tip on what we would pay locally for a similar meal, but usually it's about $5-7 per person.

DH is the one that eats at Bonsai, but I'm not sure how he calculates the tip for the a la carte menu.

we always tip more. The alcohol bill and food for a group of 4 can sometimes be higher than what many would think, so we always add a standard 15% regardless. I would do as you feel comfortable, and remember that ultimately, it is about the service. I like the idea of 10$ a person too.

Flame me if you want but it seems everyone here is overly generous. It is stated that @ the steakhouse gratuity is already included in the $35/person. Unless I have to order something out of the ordinary or have a server exceed expectations then the tip is a maximum of $5. I honestly don't think I'm being cheap either. $10 per person is almost a 30% tip on top of gratuity already being included.

ME three.

We have never had anything less than perfection for meals in the Steakhouse.

For JiJis and the Cucina we will base the extra tip on what we would pay locally for a similar meal, but usually it's about $5-7 per person.

DH is the one that eats at Bonsai, but I'm not sure how he calculates the tip for the a la carte menu.

Bonsai automatically charges a 15% gratuity. On the Legend I ordered a $7 roll and $2 miso soup. They gave me that and a side of edamame. The 15% was $1.35. I tipped an additional $2 in cash. $3.35 is a 37.2% tip. I was dining alone.

At a restaurant near me, that roll would be $8.95/$9.95(not sure which), the soup $1.95, and the edamame $2.75. $3.35 would be either a 22.9% or 24.5% tip.

Flame me if you want but it seems everyone here is overly generous. It is stated that @ the steakhouse gratuity is already included in the $35/person. Unless I have to order something out of the ordinary or have a server exceed expectations then the tip is a maximum of $5. I honestly don't think I'm being cheap either. $10 per person is almost a 30% tip on top of gratuity already being included.

Flame me too. $5pp is what we would leave too, probably nothing beside the regular included gratuity if service was just ok, but it's most usually a perfect dining date with the wife and exceeds our expectations.

OP they do tell us that included in the $ 35 is the tip however they will never tell us how much of a tip is included.

There have been all sorts of threads on this as to how much of a tip but basically we have taken the position that we have tipped the waiter but if service is exemplary we will add something to the bill.

When i sail i always eat in the specialty restaurants....The tip is already included in the price of the dinner...I do not tip anything extra....

We just got off of the Breeze recently. We ate in the Steakhouse. Bill totaled $70, We tipped $30. These people work hard, don't see their families much. I budgeted for that when I made my reservation. I received excellent service and to me it was worth it

Completely agree!

Do you tip at a Specialty Restaurant? If so, how much?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No tip necessary, it's covered by the $35 upcharge. That being said, if you want to tip feel free to do so. It's your choice.

My choice is not to tip extra. A lot of people in this world work hard. A lot of people don't get to see their families often. The people working there were not drafted, they chose to work there. Personally I see what any of that has to do with tipping extra when it is already in the upcharge. But as I said, if others want to tip extra I'm sure it will be appreciated by the servers.

No tip necessary, it's covered by the $35 upcharge. That being said, if you want to tip feel free to do so. It's your choice.

My choice is not to tip extra. A lot of people in this world work hard. A lot of people don't get to see their families often. The people working there were not drafted, they chose to work there. Personally I see what any of that has to do with tipping extra when it is already in the upcharge. But as I said, if others want to tip extra I'm sure it will be appreciated by the servers.

I think that Carnival is being disingenuous with us by telling tip is included in the service charge, refusing to tell us how much of a tip and than says it is very appropriate to tip more.

That was my feeling exactly. Is the tip included. Everywhere I look it says it is. So short of receiving Excellent Service, are we being cheap by not tipping ON TOP of the tip that is already included.

Yes, I think it is a disservice that we are not being told how much we are already tipping get in the fee the charge us to use the restaurant. Just my two cents.

I don't tip extra, but if my wife catches it she does. I feel that the tip that the wait staff getting in the MDR should be applied for that dinner that I'm at the steak house. My wife feel like they should get a tip since it is a fancy dinner.

I think that Carnival is being disingenuous with us by telling tip is included in the service charge' date=' refusing to tell us how much of a tip and than says it is very appropriate to tip more.[/quote']

I guess I'm not much into trying to read between the lines. I read the line and do what it says and trust whoever wrote the line was truthful and factual when they wrote the line. Carnival says the gratuity is included in the charge and I take them at face value when they say that.

That was my feeling exactly. Is the tip included. Everywhere I look it says it is. So short of receiving Excellent Service, are we being cheap by not tipping ON TOP of the tip that is already included.

Yes, I think it is a disservice that we are not being told how much we are already tipping get in the fee the charge us to use the restaurant. Just my two cents.

Let me ask, why does it matter how much of the charge the servers receive? Would you change whether you tip extra or how much based on whether they got $2, $10, or $20 of the charge? If Carnival says whatever they get is good enough for Carnival and the server (because the server definitely knows how much they get), why is it not good enough for everyone else?

Let me ask, why does it matter how much of the charge the servers receive? Would you change whether you tip extra or how much based on whether they got $2, $10, or $20 of the charge? If Carnival says whatever they get is good enough for Carnival and the server (because the server definitely knows how much they get), why is it not good enough for everyone else?

I guess it is herd mentality. If I walk in and everyone is tipping on top of the charge then I feel I should too. How ever is it is include in the $35 cover charge then why would you tip on top of a tip? Unless of course you got great service. The exact dollar amount only matters when you try and decide how much to tip. Would you tip the same amount if you knew the server got $10 of the $35 and if they only got $2 of the $35?

Are you the guy in a restaurant with a pocket calculator figuring out what 15% pre tax tip would be?

We just got off of the Breeze recently. We ate in the Steakhouse. Bill totaled $70, We tipped $30. These people work hard, don't see their families much. I budgeted for that when I made my reservation. I received excellent service and to me it was worth it

Same with us. We look at it as a minimum $100 night. If we order a bottle of wine, then the tip increases by 20% of the cost of the wine.

They say that the tip is included' date=' but I have it from a very reliable source that it is not.

Server: This is the reality, my salary is 1140. $ a monthwithout tips, a cook has 800- 1000$ a month. If we serve 2 pax a night or 100there is no difference because we do not have a percentage of the 35. If itwere true as ccl is saying that tips are included it would fluctuate month tomonth, right? So the additional tips are split evenly between server cooksdishwasher.

Server : Wellthe tips are not included at all although the company promotes it that way !!! We get the salary and from the extra tip that guest leave us. Extratips go to servers and the cooks. I don't know to tell you exactly how manypeople total since it is not the same on every ship.