MDR vs. Buffet

tcadams18

We are going on the Conquest in February and this will be our first cruise with Carnival. In the past I have been on Disney, RC, and Norwegian. My wife absolutely hates going to the MDR and sitting and waiting (I'm not opposed to it) and much rather prefers the buffets where we can grab a quick dinner and then get back to what we were doing. On the cruise lines we've been on in the past we've noticed that whatever was in the MDR that night typically shows up on the buffet (along with other stuff). Is that true with Carnival? Or are we going to miss out on the really good dinners if we don't go to the MDR?

Not sure if they have the same food or not.

We don't eat at the MDR every night, One or 2 at a specialty, Couple in the MDR, and other nights in port or pizza or burger while that deck is not packed. We'll let our servers know that we won't be there the following night or 2.

And for this reason we'll get a table for 2,

We have always managed to make new friends at our table in the MDR. Something about a group of 8-10 strangers becoming friends during the week, and each day discussing what we did. Our excursions, our kids. A perfect end to each day.

We have been to the buffet a few times with our Daughter when she was young. Sometimes it was to get her a bit of an appetizer before dinner so she would not be grumpy and squirmy at dinner. Other times it was so that we could send her to camp- either she missed the deadline to be there for camp dinner or did not want to go. They did have some of the things that we saw at dinner, but generally not the things I wanted to eat. One night DD was so super grumpy that we did not think we could get her to sit through dinner and camp would have turned her away, so we went to the buffet with the intention of eating. Nothing really appealed to us. Luckily after some food DD's attitude changed (I think she was tired and HANGRY) and we were able to get her in a good enough mood to sit through dinner in the MDR with us. If we had to, we probably would have gotten pizza or a deli sandwich, because none of the hot foods really looked good.

Now I have been to the buffet on other lines and pleased with the offerings. But Carnival, not so much.

On our Dream cruise in September, we felt the Main Dining Room was just not up to par. Not close. We'd had enough - and on the final evening, ate at the buffet. Surprisingly, I found some delicious fish to enjoy...and I'm confident I had a better dinner at the buffet than I would have found in the dining room. That night at the buffet was a pleasant surprise.

We’ve only been on one carnival cruise (next is in less than 6 days!!) but I didnt find the buffet to look particularly appetizing at lunch, so we ate at the MDR every night. I really enjoyed the MDR and meeting new people. We did anytime, so we never sat with the same people but we had some really great conversation. We intend on dining at the MDR every night again.

My spouse and I don't agree about this but generally I am allowed to win this argument and we eat in the MDR every night. It is part of the experience for us, part of what makes cruising different from visiting family or even touring some city somewhere.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

.... are we going to miss out on the really good dinners if we don't go to the MDR?

The Liddo buffet will have the same (or similar) items matching the nightly menu of the MDR... but it will also have more items than what the MDR has. (not necessarily "better", just more variety).

Having said that, the buffet will not have the same dessert items.

We are going on the Conquest in February and this will be our first cruise with Carnival. In the past I have been on Disney, RC, and Norwegian. My wife absolutely hates going to the MDR and sitting and waiting (I'm not opposed to it) and much rather prefers the buffets where we can grab a quick dinner and then get back to what we were doing. On the cruise lines we've been on in the past we've noticed that whatever was in the MDR that night typically shows up on the buffet (along with other stuff). Is that true with Carnival? Or are we going to miss out on the really good dinners if we don't go to the MDR?

We eat on Lido nearly every night, mainly because there is too much fun going on to spend 90+ minutes sitting in the dining room. Yes, many of the same dishes that are served in MDR are on the buffet. Plus, the pizza place and deli are open, and a carving station with a different meat each night. IMO, you are not missing anything special by eating on Lido. We ate in the MDR every night on our first 10 cruises, but after deciding to go to the Lido I doubt we will ever go back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have always managed to make new friends at our table in the MDR. Something about a group of 8-10 strangers becoming friends during the week, and each day discussing what we did. Our excursions, our kids. A perfect end to each day.

Same with us :)

We see dinner in the MDR as part of our evening activities rather than something that must be endured.

This is true of the items of lesser cost and bulk preparation. Penne Marisco will be on both the buffet and MDR menu, but not lobster or escargot. We sometimes just walk through the buffet and decide before heading to dinner in the MDR.

On formal night, do they serve prime rib and creme brulee in the buffet? I've mainly just done the MDR but going with my mom in Dec and she might not want the MDR every night, especially formal night.

Prime rib, yes. Crime Brûlée, no.