Ovation to Alaska after 2018-2019 Aus season

It will be interesting to see the wave rider in that part of the world :)

So they are moving it away from the Asian market - any reason for that ??

"But demand for cruises in China has softened over the past year, even as interest in Alaska cruises has soared."

" Princess Cruises announced its new ship custom-built for the China market, Majestic Princess, would redeploy to Australia for nearly eight months of the year. "

mmmm.. a repositioning from Seattle to Sydney would be nice on Ovation (are they going to do that ??) .. just needs to have some decent ports on the way down.

mmmm.. a repositioning from Seattle to Sydney would be nice on Ovation (are they going to do that ??) .. just needs to have some decent ports on the way down.

My thoughts exactly - would love to do the Ovation from Seattle to Sydney

We were hoping to do Seattle to Sydney in 2019 but I guess that's not going to happen now. Not sure we would do it on Ovation as we don't like the mega ships :(

There is still the Radiance that comes down from there each season (plus a few others from other companies)

As for the Ovation - as a mega ship, we did it in Jan around New Zealand and found it quite PERFECT. If you think that the number of people (around 5000) is daunting, then you really never ever see that many around the ship (worse time we experienced was leaving the ship whilst in port - the issue was a medical one which held up our exiting).

Meal times - sure the buffet gets a bit crowded - but you can always find somewhere - plenty of eating places.

It has some great spaces (eg Two70 at the stern is perfect), plenty of pools/spas and things to do (*though the shops were boring = honestly, whom bothers with the Omega Cartier shop ???).

I would love to do it again - and even try Anthem (but it wont leave the Florida area.. half a world away from us :) !!)

Edited by shireboi

They state elsewhere in the article that it would be replacing Explorer.

If correct, that would mean it would be doing the same repositioning back.

Mmm......my Explorer Easter cruise in April 2019 has disappeared from the online TA site I booked it on and when I searched for it on Royals site it was not there either:rolleyes:

So if the Ovation is heading across the Pacific to Alaska and the article states that the Explorer is not going to Alaska, then it must be heading to Asia and leaving earlier than my April cruise.......oh well off to find another one:p

Thanks to the OP for this info, I hadnt even checked as it is so far away!!

Mmm......my Explorer Easter cruise in April 2019 has disappeared from the online TA site I booked it on and when I searched for it on Royals site it was not there either:rolleyes:

So if the Ovation is heading across the Pacific to Alaska and the article states that the Explorer is not going to Alaska, then it must be heading to Asia and leaving earlier than my April cruise.......oh well off to find another one:p

Thanks to the OP for this info, I hadnt even checked as it is so far away!!

Chez i booked on the Ovation 30th march 2019 to Singapore and i scored a solo balcony for just over $3000 and my cruise is cancelled and i spoke to RCI to rebook on the Explorer to Singapore....this is the email from RCI Ovation of the Seas 30th March 2019 – 14 Night Asia Repositioning Cruise

Dear Ovation of the Seas Guest,

We regret to inform you that the Ovation of the Seas, sailing 30th March 2019, has been cancelled due to scheduling conflicts created by ship repositioning plans.

We would like to apologise most sincerely for any inconvenience that this change may cause to your scheduled holiday plans. We will do all possible to assist with any changes necessary due to this amendment and to ensure that you have all the information for the compensation and options available to you, which we have outlined below.

We invite you to transfer your reservation to one of the below select sailings, in like accommodations at the protected or lowest available rate. Price protection is limited to the cruise fare only. Taxes, fees, gratuities and other non-cruise fare items are subject to prevailing rates. Receive US$200 onboard credit per standard stateroom or US$400 onboard credit for suites (category JS and above, as per the original stateroom category booked). Third, fourth, and any additional guests in a stateroom, including any additional guests in a separate booking for the same stateroom, receive an additional $100 onboard credit per person.

Select Sailings: Explorer of the Seas 29th March 2019 – 15 Night Asia Repositioning Cruise

Alternatively, you may transfer your booking to any other Royal Caribbean sailing not listed above at the prevailing rate (current onboard credit promotions will not be honored, only current pricing).

Air fees are not being offered.

In order to qualify for the above, all changes will need to be completed by 21st November 2017.

Should you choose to cancel your reservation, you will receive a full refund for all amounts paid and this will be processed via the original method of payment; however, you will not receive any of the compensation mentioned above, including air change fee reimbursement.

Once again, we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this change may cause you. We look forward to working with you to minimise the impact to your scheduled travel plans and welcoming you onboard a future Royal Caribbean voyage.

i booked the Majestic to Hong Kong in march 2019 but i have about 9 months to make up my mind what one to do.....i had a balcony on the Ovation so i'll see if i get the same on the Explorer

Edited by rkmw

Bob, thanks for all the info.....typically the online TA has not emailed me!!

There is discussion on the Rollcall for the Explorer TP 2019, looks like the Ovation will do a couple more cruises than planned before heading off, someone on there mentioned a B2B before it does the TP, maybe that will fit in with our Easter dates, dont think I will get the good deal I had though and OBC:(

Bob, thanks for all the info.....typically the online TA has not emailed me!!

There is discussion on the Rollcall for the Explorer TP 2019, looks like the Ovation will do a couple more cruises than planned before heading off, someone on there mentioned a B2B before it does the TP, maybe that will fit in with our Easter dates, dont think I will get the good deal I had though and OBC:(

i booked direct with RCI and i got an E1 balcony near the fwd lift on the Explorer to Singapore and a very good price

i booked direct with RCI and i got an E1 balcony near the fwd lift on the Explorer to Singapore and a very good price

Good one Bob, I just called the OZ TA, think they are getting inundated with calls!

He said I should receive an email in the next couple of hours.

If there is something on the Ovation around Easter we might think about that, it's not a big deal as it is a way off, but I did have a bargain booked on the Explorer and only 5 leave days needed:(

Just received an email for the cancelling of Explorer 13th April 2019, they are offering $100 OBC if we book another sailing before 19th November 2017.

Hopefully they have the extra Ovation cruises out before then, otherwise will wait to see what Princess are offering around that time.

I feel more for those that had booked the repositioning cruises, lots of planning for those.

Just received an email for the cancelling of Explorer 13th April 2019, they are offering $100 OBC if we book another sailing before 19th November 2017.

Hopefully they have the extra Ovation cruises out before then, otherwise will wait to see what Princess are offering around that time.

I feel more for those that had booked the repositioning cruises, lots of planning for those.

Yes, it is always a bummer when your cruise is cancelled but especially with relocation cruises as they often have flights and accommodation linked in as well.

Gee that's handy - the new itineraries for TP wont be released until 12 December.

Typical[emoji48]

We reported on Ovation moving to Alaska yesterday too: https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=8189

When we asked for more details about what is happening with the AU/NZ schedule in 2019/20, RCI wouldn't confirm. Has anyone had any other Ovation cruises cancelled, or just the repo?

Hey Bob, have you got the Explorer Syd/Singapore itinerary? I figured since you booked it they must have given you some info? I can't get anything:rolleyes:

Gee that's handy - the new itineraries for TP wont be released until 12 December.

Typical[emoji48]

I know, how bad is that, they cancel the cruise, tell me that I can transfer deposit and have some OBC, but I have to do it by the 19 November........I want to see what the Ovation is doing inbetween when it was supposed to depart in March and when it is now departing in April, and the Explorer itinerary to Singapore.

Be good to compare the Radiance TP with the new Ovations re ports and price too as they are leaving around the same time.

Doesn't leave much choice but to cancel

Oh dear Chez, shades of the Adonia saga.:( I hope you get your deposit back this year. Of course the cruise line does not want to give it back, they want you to transfer it to another cruise and offer a paltry OBC sum. Oh so familiar.:loudcry:

All good Bob.....I found the Explorer repositioning itinerary, it is already on Royals site and selling, pity the OZ TA didnt know about it:rolleyes:

15 nights, insides start at $1700AUD, Syd/Bris/ Airlie/Yorkies Knob/ overnight in Darwin then Singapore.

Oh dear Chez, shades of the Adonia saga.:( I hope you get your deposit back this year. Of course the cruise line does not want to give it back, they want you to transfer it to another cruise and offer a paltry OBC sum. Oh so familiar.:loudcry:

Haha Les, not concerned about the deposit, it was $25:p, more concerned that they want me to book a cruise in a week without releasing the changes they have made or I forfiet the compensation.

Appears that those in the US are able to book on another cruise so that they dont lose their FCC or OBC then change it to the new itineraries when they are out, sadly our Australian TA's won't do that, we have to pay the cancel/amend fees.