Red Eye Flight Before Embarkation

babydealshunter

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or experience when arriving very early in the morning at FLL airport (~5AM EDT = 2AM PDT), long before embarkation starts. I may book a hotel room just so we have a place to try to get some sleep for a few hours before embarkation. I was hoping others might have hotel or alternate suggestions where we could crash for a few hours, transportation tips, early embarkation possibilities, etc.

We are a family of 4, including 2 school aged kids, booked on the Westerdam departing Ft Lauderdale on a Saturday next spring 2018. HAL booked our flights from the west coast to FLL (I was worried about booking separately in case there was a flight delay/cancellation issue). The flight they recommended was a red-eye arriving early Saturday morning (5AM EDT = 2AM PDT) and it is now booked/paid for.

While I know the simplest idea would have been to book an earlier flight, HAL recommended the red eye and we were already reluctant to pull the kids out of school (red eye flight meant they could finish school day on Friday before cruise).

Thanks for any tips you might have!

Get something to eat then hit the beach if the weather is nice. Rent a few loungers and crash. Everglade tour or FLL canal tour is cool but not sure they run that early. HAL probably recommended the red eye as they are often cheaper. I've done a couple from CA to FLL and avoid it now because I almost missed the ship once due to bad weather in CA.

I don't have much in the way of tips for you but can say we've done this several times (NO kids) and weren't crazy about the flight times, but it was fine, for us, because we saved a lot (airfare and hotel).

The FLL airport terminal has a nice Starbucks so we had breakfast and later drinks. Found lots to do while waiting and left for the cruise terminal at 10 am. We handle waiting OK, so it has never been a big deal to arrive at 6 am.

I've done this when doing European cruises. Even though you cannot board the ship you should be able to drop off your bags.

By the time your flight lands, grab your luggage and get to the pier it will probably be closer to 6:30-7:00. Go for a walk along Ft. Lauderdale Beach, get some fresh air/exercise and then grab a late breakfast (FLL time). By the time you do this you should be able to head back to the port and board. Grab a powersnooze once onboard and you're good to go :cool:

The only other option I can suggest is to check with one of the hotels/resorts and see if they have a day pass for their pool area. That way you can relax on a lounger and maybe catch a few hours of sleep. I would try the W or the Westin Beach resort.

Good luck.

This is discussed regularly on the Florida Departures board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

If you look there you will see all the hotel and transport info you will ever need. For example, taxi is most likely going to be your transport of choice.

If you book a room that you can check into at 6 am or so, you are really just paying for the hotel room for the previous night, and having to check out by noon (or possibly 11am), unless you can talk them into late checkout- a difficult task in very busy Ft Lauderdale.

Other common suggestions are to slowly claim your bags, have a breakfast, and then head to the port. Remember, you can board at 11:30 on HAL, and your room will be ready. Plus you wil be excited for your cruise.

We did a similar flight from San Diego to FLL earlier this year. We booked a hotel room for the NIGHT before. I called the hotel to let them know that we wouldn't be arriving until 6 or 7AM and not to give our room away as a no-show. This is key! Typically if you don't check in before a specific time (varies by hotel), they may give your room away to a late arrival. I called twice to verify that they had our rez marked correctly, including the day we were flying.

It was great. We had breakfast in the hotel, then crashed for a few hours. Had a nice hot shower then went to the pier around noon or 1pm. There were no lines and we walked right onto the ship. Stored our carry-on bags and headed to the Lido for a bite to eat.

I can't remember where we had a layover but it wasn't a non-stop flight. The 2nd flight was only about 1 hour but we had at least 2 hours to kill before the flight to FLL. That airport was absolutely freezing. We were huddled together to try to stay warm. They kept the A/C up to a specific level but didn't account for the airport to be empty at that hour so it was super cold. Every one around us was pulling clothes out of their carry on to try to stay warm. Finally a shop opened and my husband bought a very expensive sweatshirt to go on top of the one he was already wearing. It was so funny.

We arrived in Halifax 4 am. Found the Holiday Inn had a special rate to stay until hotel check out time. Don't know if other hotels in the states do the same thing. They also have day rates for a room which allows you to stay a few more hours after check out time.

We have been able to turn in our cruise luggage to the FLL terminal porters at 9:30 AM but not able to enter the terminal until 10:00 AM.

As previously stated, pick up your luggage, stop at one of the terminal restaurants upstairs from baggage claim for a leisurely breakfast before catching a taxi to the port. You might be able to turn in your luggage early but you will still be standing outside the terminal doors until 10:00 AM.

We arrived in Halifax 4 am. Found the Holiday Inn had a special rate to stay until hotel check out time. Don't know if other hotels in the states do the same thing. They also have day rates for a room which allows you to stay a few more hours after check out time.

I doubt you will find such an arrangement in FLL, as they are so busy most of the year.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or experience when arriving very early in the morning at FLL airport (~5AM EDT = 2AM PDT), long before embarkation starts. I may book a hotel room just so we have a place to try to get some sleep for a few hours before embarkation. I was hoping others might have hotel or alternate suggestions where we could crash for a few hours, transportation tips, early embarkation possibilities, etc.

We are a family of 4, including 2 school aged kids, booked on the Westerdam departing Ft Lauderdale on a Saturday next spring 2018. HAL booked our flights from the west coast to FLL (I was worried about booking separately in case there was a flight delay/cancellation issue). The flight they recommended was a red-eye arriving early Saturday morning (5AM EDT = 2AM PDT) and it is now booked/paid for.

While I know the simplest idea would have been to book an earlier flight, HAL recommended the red eye and we were already reluctant to pull the kids out of school (red eye flight meant they could finish school day on Friday before cruise).

Thanks for any tips you might have!

One thing you might consider is using Bags VIP luggage delivery service (http://bagsvipdelivery.com/) - that would at least save you the hassle of schlepping your luggage around Ft Lauderdale for several hours while you wait for the Terminal to open. We have used Bags VIP several times and have always been 100% satisfied. BTW if you don't want to do the research yourself, your TA should be able to take care of that for you.

I'd get a hotel room. Everyone will be much happier after a short night's sleep and a shower. Why start the cruise tired (and probably cranky)?

I would be VERY cranky and basically the first day of the cruise would be a waste for me. Its one of the reasons I like coming in the day prior, as we are then well rested after long day of traveling and we can enjoy the first cruise day.

We do this often with family. We get a room at the Embassy Suites 17th Street. There is a hot breakfast waiting for us if we so desire. There is a pleasant pool that the kids can have a good swim in before or after a nap.

The room is divided so that that someone could take a nap while others watch TV or otherwise use the living room. There are lots of taxis available from the property when it's time for your departure.

For me, red-eyes are my flight of choice from the West Coast to East Coast. (Weird, I know.) Prices are typically lower and planes are typically less fun in my experiences. Also, I frequently have an empty seat next to me which = more comfort.

However, for cruises I actually fly on the red-eye a day early to ease stress and have a day to adjust. Thus when I get to the airport I claim my luggage, fine a airport restaurant for a nice, leisurely breakfast and then go the the Hotel. I leave my bags for storage with the hotel and then EITHER find a comfy seat in the lobby and take a snooze (believe me - I am not alone in doing that) or take a walk, AND I do ask for an early available room. Usually I can get in the room by 10 or 11, having 24+ hours before boarding the ship. Then I can sleep more OR play tourist OR walk Or whatever appeals to me at the time.

While I certainly do not sleep as well on the plane as at home, I usually can get around 4 hours of sleep. Others are not so lucky in terms of sleeping on planes. I hate spending most of the daylight hours flying which is why I like the red-eyes. Just Me.