WiFi on NCL (promo offer)

mickeychicky

So after all these years I'm still really confused about cell phone wifi usage with certain carriers. It annoys my son, so I'm going to ask here.

I have cell phone service thru Straight Talk, which runs off Verizon towers, but with Straight Talk I do not have international coverage with the plan I pay for. So once I get on a cruise ship and get out to sea, I have no coverage whatsoever.

So if I choose the ships FREE wifi promo will I even be able to use if I have no coverage with my own cell phone carrier, Straight Talk. Or is NCL kind of like my cell phone carrier with their wifi offer?

Does anyone who has Straight Talk know the answer to this? Thanks!

I can't tell what smartphone you are using, but does it support WiFi and or VoIP calling like Skype or Google's Hangouts/Voice.

via Nexus 5X Oreo 8.0 w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Sorry, iPhone 6, it supports wifi. Don't have Skype or Hangouts....probably because I don't use them.

WiFi and cellular service are completely different things. A cell phone with no service can still connect to WiFi. Think of a laptop; no data services or cellular services whatsoever, but connects to WiFi.

If you question is can you connect to WiFi and surf the Internet, check your email, and use apps; the answer is yes. If your question is can you connect to WiFi and use your phone to make calls and texts, it will depend on your phone/carrier. There are apps that will do these things if your phone won’t, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, iPhone 6, it supports wifi. Don't have Skype or Hangouts....probably because I don't use them.

It's my understanding that Skype is a general app that you can use to make phone calls over wifi. Hangouts is apparently an Android only app, so you wouldn't be able to use it on an iPhone. At least that's my understanding.

I have Google's Project Fi data sim on my iPhone 5S and use it overseas to make free WiFi calls back to the US. See my screenshot, ST as a prepaid or MNVO provider support WiFi calling, speak to 611 about how to do that. 6994bc95b91a36846e86449ec7c23853.jpg

6b6fde70b40b9605400e1effe13fc08c.jpg

d265e37a4e5c9bef94be67f61b3c395f.jpg

Skype and Hangouts have both video (faster 3G+) and audio only (lower bandwidth/2G speed) calling options; and, support / work across different platforms, including iOS and Android, as well as desktop (and, also - on my Linux based OS on my netbook).

Check about free classes and online tutorials, as well offerings from local public library (and, senior centers) to learn how to take advantage of these - it will save $$$ for those that sail or cruise, even on an infrequent and occasional basis.

Edited by mking8288

I have Verizon and an iPhone 6 and turned on WiFi calling. I was able to make calls home from the ship’s WiFi Network. However I did a little Google search and found an article that says WiFi on Straight Talk does NOT work:

http://smartphonematters.com/does-wi-fi-calling-work-with-straight-talk-wireless/

You may want to call Straight Talk to be sure or just try it on the phone once you get on the ship.

Your other option that I used in the past was FaceTime audio. The only issue is the other person has to have an iPhone as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So after all these years I'm still really confused about cell phone wifi usage with certain carriers. It annoys my son, so I'm going to ask here.

I have cell phone service thru Straight Talk, which runs off Verizon towers, but with Straight Talk I do not have international coverage with the plan I pay for. So once I get on a cruise ship and get out to sea, I have no coverage whatsoever.

So if I choose the ships FREE wifi promo will I even be able to use if I have no coverage with my own cell phone carrier, Straight Talk. Or is NCL kind of like my cell phone carrier with their wifi offer?

Does anyone who has Straight Talk know the answer to this? Thanks!

You could always use the free wifi promo on the computers in the ship internet room. No charge for using the computers.

• 1 month later...

Once you exceed your package minutes/MB allowance, it will stop or disconnect shortly ... that's how it worked on the Breakaway and Gem. You will be prompted when you sign in again to select a package to buy/charge to stateroom account. It's not going to charge you ... as those MB/by the minutes can get expensive if you remained log-in and not disconnected by the end of the week, especially if background data & cloud uploads, etc. run silently ... until the device is powered down or run out of battery.

Even for those on the unlimited plan, it's best practice to sign out & disconnect from onboard satellite inTERnet.

If you get the wifi package the best way to make it last is to only login when you want to check something or at a specific time agreed with folks at home, but always make sure you log out when you're finished. I got my minutes to last through the duration of my cruise easily on that basis, I just logged in for 30 minutes each evening to check for messages.

I have straight talk with iPhone 6s and I was able to use the ships wifi to make calls through my xfinity app, I also found that I need to turn off my cellular service On my phone as soon we pull out of the home port. My first cruise with the iPhone I didn't turn off my cellular service and my phone shut down and I couldn't even use it to take pictures.

Are you trying to make calls or just go online?

I just need to check and send emails. I would prefer to use the ships computers because it's easier for me to type faster. Are there computers on the Gem I can use my free WiFi on? If yes where are they located? I have been on the Gem but never utilized the WiFi. Thank you all for your help.

Not one hundred percent sure where the computers are in he gen but on the getaway they were in the atrium, next to the big screen and all the seats. And if you want to use it just to check emails computer is fine. But again can connect to WiFi on the phone if you want. Just make sure it says airplane mode and WiFi. Keep your phone on airplane mode the entire time as well as to not get charged.

I just need to check and send emails. I would prefer to use the ships computers because it's easier for me to type faster. Are there computers on the Gem I can use my free WiFi on? If yes where are they located? I have been on the Gem but never utilized the WiFi. Thank you all for your help.

If yes where are they located?

Internet Café is on deck 7 mid-ship in the Crystal Atrium next to the Java Café across from Guest Services.

Diagram LINK: Click on deck 7

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Gem

Gem's newly relocated iCafe (Internet Cafe) is Deck 12 Fwd, Starboard side - inside the Library ... there're 3 terminals, 1 was offline; and, the iCafe Manager has posted office hours nearby. I'm not 100% sure about the location & availability of a printer.

Deck 7 off the side of the atrium lobby was the former location, with dry docking, more space & slimmer furniture with the lobby/coffee bar - I did not see anything there last May.

See photos uploaded - check once onboard, it's wireless connection with good coverage. Bring your own thumb drive and/or usb cable if you might need to upload or transfer anything ... although, I do NOT like to transfer or connect my usb drive in these public/shared terminals.

437d7ec91098a4d08973d1258be07fbd.jpg

6e1aeb9a6675302d35719bb245bda6ab.jpg

62f1c82b79f07bec0ccd72ffd7c758a2.jpg

Thanks for the Update mking8288.

Change my info to:

Diagram LINK: Click on deck 12

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/d.../Norwegian-Gem

There seems to be a trend to downsize the Internet Café to few as three terminals

and relegate the manager to a part-part time manager.

Since the printer is a shared facility best be there when printing to retrieve your printed data.

I believe the current charge is still $0.50 a page.

Best time to use the IC is when the ship is in port; but then you could get off the ship and

do better with land based facilities. Other good times to use the IC is late at night or when

shows/entertainment are on varies by ship.

For new users of the NCL IC learn how to manage your time and to positively LOG-OFF to

avoid running your provided minutes into the great void. Don't just click on the off button

of your device and think that you are disconnected.

D-U-R-N, you are welcomed ... my heads spin trying to keep up with the changes @NCL these days, especially if I haven't "hover" around for a little while longer, just sayin' ;p

Actually, the iCafe Manager's Desk was on Deck 7 AFT, port side - past the Shorex / CruiseNext-Latitutde Office, it was kind of wierd & strange last year, to realize the split locations. But, the library with the PC housed was kind of nice with a little privacy ...

The absolute worst day/night is the final Sea Day before disembarkation - as that's when the most folks signed on to reconfirm their flights, make seating changs or selection, print (really, unnecessary in many instances) their Boarding Passes for flights etc. - slow to a crawl on the download side, upload wasn't bad (relatively speaking)

To avoid the 50 cents a page printing charge, most flyers can simply opt to get a mobile/digital BP on their smartphone, or, reprint it at the airport's kiosk as part of the check-in, before going thru security ... or, have the ground staff behind the counter print it when dropping bags off. (It's been years since I had to print anything onboard, I seemed to recall 25 cents a page then - like 10 years ago, oh well - while the big hotel chain's business center is known to charge $1 a page or even $2 for a color one, urgh)

With 6 to 8 hours at max for a typical port stop, we don't bother with looking or walking around just to hit a "free" WiFi hotspot - we just flipped back on our dirty cheap global/travel 4G data on our smartphone ... @$10 USD per 1GB (1,000 MB) - good at 135+ countries, including Bermuda, Bahamas, Mexico, Canada & the Caribbeans.

Back on topic with ship's WiFi (I just saw another thread's post about report of the pilot/experimental $30 <limited> social media plan option being discontinued or no longer offered on the mega ships since last Spring ... yike, what a bummer) - absolutely critical to use the login and logoff feature, or the URL given - to connect AND disconnect the WiFi inTERnet, With 250+60 ("free" promo & P-bonus) minutes to burn on each cruise (sometimes, we can doubled it when pooled together with our 2nd. stateroom) - we usually do squeeze at least 60 minutes worth of daily airtime at sea, more than enough to download emails, weather & news check, and make a few quick WiFi calls, etc.