NCL Gem repairs

cruisingqueen86

Watched her on AIS tracking site earlier and just re-checked her live shipcam.

On a heading going west & northerly, away from Barbados - increasing speed, and almost full speed, close to 21 knots - in the direction toward Puerto Rico & the Bahamas, a course toward NY ?? - data filed is that she should be back in Bridgetown in about 6 or 7 hours ?? if ship turned around again.

For those with legs, arms, toes & fingers crossed sailing next week and booked on her - she will need about 90 hours to sail the distance of 1,800 n.m. to get back to NYC by early Tuesday morning for the turnaround. Even if she get back a little late, it's possible - as someone pointed out in another post/thread related to the Gem - that NCL can adjust and shorten the next cruise's itineary with 1 or 2 days less at sea ... and not entirely cancelled, if more work & checks and certifications are required.

Most certainly, promising ... standby for a moment, looked like she's up to 22.3 knots in speed but turning, doing a big loop ?? - in the direction of Barbados again, could be a full trial and final exercise just to make sure everything is running top shape. Let's wait & see later on today.

Go to MarineTraffic dot com, search the Norwegian Gem and anyone can follow ship's track with its map location as per available AIS data.

On a heading going west & northerly, away from Barbados - increasing speed, and almost full speed, close to 21 knots - in the direction toward Puerto Rico & the Bahamas, a course toward NY ?? - data filed is that she should be back in Bridgetown in about 6 or 7 hours ?? if ship turned around again.

For those with legs, arms, toes & fingers crossed sailing next week and booked on her - she will need about 90 hours to sail the distance of 1,800 n.m. to get back to NYC by early Tuesday morning for the turnaround. Even if she get back a little late, it's possible - as someone pointed out in another post/thread related to the Gem - that NCL can adjust and shorten the next cruise's itineary with 1 or 2 days less at sea ... and not entirely cancelled, if more work & checks and certifications are required.

Most certainly, promising ... standby for a moment, looked like she's up to 22.3 knots in speed but turning, doing a big loop ?? - in the direction of Barbados again, could be a full trial and final exercise just to make sure everything is running top shape. Let's wait & see later on today.

Go to MarineTraffic dot com, search the Norwegian Gem and anyone can follow ship's track with its map location as per available AIS data.

Sounds like a test drive. May have do some turning maneuver’s to make sure all’s good. 22 knots sure seems like an improvement over 7 knots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am always so glad to see an update from you. Lots of information here. You are a wealth of information and so thorough. Thanks for for folowing and posting to this thread.

mking8288. Thanks for your very knowledgeable answer. We love the Gem to but she is getting old (and so am I). I hope she has a few good trips left in her.

She's not so old. The Dawn, Star, and Sky are older than she is.

The Gem has "promises to keep and many miles before she sleeps."

This sounds increasingly positive! Are sail on the 2nd December and I'm finally trying not to panic about the whole situation but I'm definitely going to be tracking her every move now i know that site so cheers for that...... something else I can drive my partner mad with :-)....... just excursions now hopefully de12 won't have to wait until are board. :D

This sounds increasingly positive! Are sail on the 2nd December and I'm finally trying not to panic about the whole situation but I'm definitely going to be tracking her every move now i know that site so cheers for that...... something else I can drive my partner mad with :-)....... just excursions now hopefully de12 won't have to wait until are board. :D

I'm on the 11/21 cruise. We are equally anxious about the Gems status. Good luck to us all!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am always so glad to see an update ...
We can all learn to develop some expertise in the world of crusing, as it is unrealistic to expect NCL to provide verbatim update continuously - at ease of what might be happening, until and unless someone is onboard & do live status reporting (and, they often know less than we do)

Gem's ship captain definitely has hit the joystick pedals to the medals, hammer down in top gun mode. Doing a big counterclock-wise loop ... 22 knots, 22.2, 22.3, 22.7 knots, gone to 23 knots, 23.2 and 23.3 knots, now eased off slightly to about 22.6 knots.

Engines/azipods set to full speed ahead, all cylinders working in harmony ... NCL ships don't run at those top speed near the maximum rated mode that often - unless it's absolutely needed and/or in case of emergencies, like an evasive and/or rescue maneuver, etc. We're on the Gem back in 2012 when she gone past 24.7 or 24.8 knots with a favorable, strong gale force tail wind - propelling the ship to as much as 25 knots against a Nor-easter storm, while racing out of NY's harbor down the coast.

Calling on the Gem's "resident" onboard guardian Mermaid, behind the bridge viewing room to bless the ship for a full recovery and smooth sailing.

P.S. Latest graphics on Marinetraffic dot com - screenshot was just a short while ago, looked like she's done testing and heading into toward the pier/dock again @ 17 knots.

e56c2435e0c7245a2173f08f9e62a58d.jpg

We can all learn to develop some expertise in the world of crusing, as it is unrealistic to expect NCL to provide verbatim update continuously - at ease of what might be happening, until and unless someone is onboard & do live status reporting (and, they often know less than we do)

Gem's ship captain definitely has hit the joystick pedals to the medals, hammer down in top gun mode. Doing a big counterclock-wise loop ... 22 knots, 22.2, 22.3, 22.7 knots, gone to 23 knots, 23.2 and 23.3 knots, now eased off slightly to about 22.6 knots.

Engines/azipods set to full speed ahead, all cylinders working in harmony ... NCL ships don't run at those top speed near the maximum rated mode that often - unless it's absolutely needed and/or in case of emergencies, like an evasive and/or rescue maneuver, etc. We're on the Gem back in 2012 when she gone past 24.7 or 24.8 knots with a favorable, strong gale force tail wind - propelling the ship to as much as 25 knots against a Nor-easter storm, while racing out of NY's harbor down the coast.

Calling on the Gem's "resident" onboard guardian Mermaid, behind the bridge viewing room to bless the ship for a full recovery and smooth sailing.

P.S. Latest graphics on Marinetraffic dot com - screenshot was just a short while ago, looked like she's done testing and heading into toward the pier/dock again @ 17 knots.

e56c2435e0c7245a2173f08f9e62a58d.jpg

Good news for us on the 11/21 sailing I hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gem depart Barbados (at 6:04 AM NYC time) with a destination of NYC (11/21 at 4:00AM).

Currently cruising at 21.8 knots!

Currently on the Gem and we just left Barbados. Told we will be the off the ship by 8:30am on 11/21 in NYC so all the Thanksgiving cruisers can board and enjoy Gem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Currently on the Gem and we just left Barbados. Told we will be the off the ship by 8:30am on 11/21 in NYC so all the Thanksgiving cruisers can board and enjoy Gem.

Sounds like a nice extended vacation........Maybe not?

Sounds like a nice extended vacation........Maybe not?

For those that can roll with the punches...NCL has more than accommodating to the remaining passengers. Food and rooms at hotel was not the same quality as being on the Gem, but the wonderful on property beach more than made up for. Now back on the ship, we have the entire crew waiting on us. I would call it an extended vacation.

For those that can roll with the punches...NCL has more than accommodating to the remaining passengers. Food and rooms at hotel was not the same quality as being on the Gem, but the wonderful on property beach more than made up for. Now back on the ship, we have the entire crew waiting on us. I would call it an extended vacation.

Safe travels home.

Currently on the Gem and we just left ... off the ship by 8:30am on 11/21 in NYC ...

Excellent and wonderful news, join others in wishing all those onboard, passengers & crews and officers a smooth, safe journey bring her up to NYC, her homeport.

Assuming that those you onboard - possibly, might have satellite WiFi access, do post periodic update on ship's progress & navigational status, if you can - surely fellow pax eager for a Thanksgiving sailing on her will be waiting for any news & words.

Rest of us, we can and I know I will follow the ship's journey on her live webcam and on MarinaTraffic's app ... she's running full speed, all ahead - engines giving just about all - 22.5+ knots (not quite 23 knots) ETA time in NY is shown as 10 AM UTC (time) - translated into 5 AM EDT (NY's local time) as UTC is 5 hours ahead.

With NY Bay & harbour & river traffic up to Pier 88 or 90, docking by 6:30 or 7 AM should be good and with far few passengers riding along - a quick & smooth express for all disembarkation by 8:30 is very promising, indeed.

That's 2.5 sea days ahead of good weather, hopefully before it can chily up the Atlantic coast - make the best out of it. (Although, I think I will be pretty tired of having that Chicken "Pho" soup daily for lunch after 8 to 10 days ;p :') )

That must be a very interesting voyage with only 28 passengers. Can you tell us more? Did you get your original cabin? Are they doing any onboard activities? Are they limiting food to one venue? I would think that this is quite an adventure and a once in a lifetime experience.

I'm sure most of us would find anything you want to share very interesting. Safe travels and enjoy!