NCL Gem repairs

cruisingqueen86

Does anyone know what actually was wrong with the ship?

What did it take to fix the ship? Were there underwater dives needed for repair?

From no one official, just a crew member: they flew in a $3 million dollar part that was changed out by divers. Since we were at a hotel about 30 minutes away, we could not see the pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I watch the news reports, it's hard believe we stayed at the same hotel and experienced the same trip back.

Sorry for chaos everyone experienced on the flights back and the oh so long travel day it turned into.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I missed the news report yesterday. Any idea which news channel it was?

The are 8-2 bedroom cabins, 2 penthouse cabins, 2 owners suites and 2 garden villas. The garden villas are 3 bed room suites and they did not use those at all. The owners suites require folks to climb to the 15th floor (no elevator), only one of those suites was used. So we are using a total of 11 suites in the Haven. One passenger went back to their old room (by request). Three more suites in the front on deck 9 are being used by those that are using wheelchairs or scooters.

Technically speaking the ones on 15 are Deluxe Owners Suites. They actually have their own outside jacuzzis.

There are four Owner suites on the corners in front on 9 and 10 which have Haven access.

Welcome home.

Here's that WABC-NY Ch.7 News URL link, and I quote "They were stuck in Barbados ..."

http://abc7ny.com/travel/cruise-nightmare-finally-comes-to-an-end/2677484/

CT school district(s) had a Halloween recess ?? :rolleyes:

BTW, Gem is sailing thru a storm, not all that uncommon this time of the year ... any time of the year, really - whitecaps, look liked 12' to 15' seas. Best seats to watch ... the Spinmaker Lounge, Deck 13 Fwd.

Here's that WABC-NY Ch.7 News URL link, and I quote "They were stuck in Barbados ..."

BTW, Gem is sailing thru a storm, not all that uncommon this time of the year ... any time of the year, really - whitecaps, look liked 12' to 15' seas. Best seats to watch ... the Spinmaker Lounge, Deck 13 Fwd.

"Diane Parada, however said she lost her job on Tuesday morning via email.

"I don't know why, really - it just said that my job was terminated and definitely so," Parada said."

Lost her job?????

Thanks for the link. I wouldn't have minded an extra stay in Barbados. It's been 30 years since we went there on our honeymoon.

Some guy in the channel 7 news video complaining about ncl and how he's done with them

Just watched the video, he and his wife were some of those we tried to avoid during our "extended" vacation. They were determined to be miserable.

Does anyone know what actually was wrong with the ship?

What did it take to fix the ship? Were there underwater dives needed for repair?

Don't know for sure, but it is deja vu for me...back in December of 2010, the Gem and her sister, the Jewel, both cruising out of New York at the time, had to spend a week in drydock in Boston to get the infamous thrust bearings repaired on their azipod's....The Jewel went first, and encountered delays, resulting in the Gem also getting delayed, and our cruise started a few hours late, which we were able to make up....back then the Gem cruised at a brisk 25 knots when necessary....

Since we both are making up the story both are equally plausible and neither are ridiculous....... you've never called in sick to school or work and then run into a teacher, co worker or boss later that same day?? or you wake up with a sore throat and headache.... make the "sick call" and return to work the next very day sporting a sun burn?? My story is far from ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

You really need to reread my post you quoted

I'm not making up anything. I'm stating facts

You are the one who claimed she probably was fired because she "must have" told her boss she was out for medical reason but then took this cruise.

You really need to reread my post you quoted

I'm not making up anything. I'm stating facts

You are the one who claimed she probably was fired because she "must have" told her boss she was out for medical reason but then took this cruise.

"But since we are throwing out guesses here...I saw her on tv and my guess is she just didn't want to fly home for whatever reason" .

Guess = you are NOT stating facts

at least I own the fact I had no clue and that I was making things up

done with this conversation since you don't remember what you wrote..... re read your own post

"But since we are throwing out guesses here...I saw her on tv and my guess is she just didn't want to fly home for whatever reason" .

Guess = you are NOT stating facts

at least I own the fact I had no clue and that I was making things up

done with this conversation since you don't remember what you wrote..... re read your own post

You misinterpreted

The facts are....

Ncl had 28 pax stay behind in Barbados

Those 28 pax returned with the Gem nov 21

Those pax were severely delayed

We do not know why those pax refused to fly home

The news reports say one of those 28 pax apparently was fired from their job

You seem to think she was fired because she claimed to be out sick but in fact she went on a cruise and then on tv and then her boss saw her and fired her. Well that's what you posted you "think" happened.....however you have zero knowledge of this but again you "think" that "probably" was the case. Really?

How about this...." a pax was fired because they were delayed". That is a clear statement based on what that pax said. No extra commentary would have been needed. Why you had to add the medical issues is beyond me

Also

The rest of the pax were flown home on charter flights within 24 hours of when the cruise was scheduled to end. Those flights were from Barbados Those pax were not delayed returning or perhaps delayed by hours not days. Do you have any "theories" about them?

Sorry but I'm sick and tired of mountains being made out of molehills and people thinking they know stories when in fact they know nothing other than what their imagination tells them

So to recap...

28 stayed behind and were severely delayed getting home

The rest flew home on chartered flights and returned within a reasonable timeframe of when they were originally scheduled to return from this cruise.

Someone went on tv of the 28 pax and claimed to be fired

She never mentioned anything else....you propagated her elaborate story...again which she never said on tv.

You misinterpreted

The facts are....

Ncl had 28 pax stay behind in Barbados

Those 28 pax returned with the Gem nov 21

Those pax were severely delayed

We do not know why those pax refused to fly home

The news reports say one of those 28 pax apparently was fired from their job

You seem to think she was fired because she claimed to be out sick but in fact she went on a cruise and then on tv and then her boss saw her and fired her. Well that's what you posted you "think" happened.....however you have zero knowledge of this but again you "think" that "probably" was the case. Really?

How about this...." a pax was fired because they were delayed". That is a clear statement based on what that pax said. No extra commentary would have been needed. Why you had to add the medical issues is beyond me

Also

The rest of the pax were flown home on charter flights within 24 hours of when the cruise was scheduled to end. Those flights were from Barbados Those pax were not delayed returning or perhaps delayed by hours not days. Do you have any "theories" about them?

Sorry but I'm sick and tired of mountains being made out of molehills and people thinking they know stories when in fact they know nothing other than what their imagination tells them

So to recap...

28 stayed behind and were severely delayed getting home

The rest flew home on chartered flights and returned within a reasonable timeframe of when they were originally scheduled to return from this cruise.

Someone went on tv of the 28 pax and claimed to be fired

She never mentioned anything else....you propagated her elaborate story...again which she never said on tv.

fact: you need to switch to de-caf

fact: you need to switch to de-caf

Nope...I'm capable of stating details clearly without caffeine and realize that sometimes things require "emphasis" in order to get through to some people thus my reasons for stating them more than once. I know posters dont like to admit it, but facts are facts, yes they are pesky little things those facts but I'd rather them than assumptions /imaginary comments /fake stories/lies

As I posted, it's getting ridiculous how people just make up their own stories and state them as fact. I'm happy to take time to clear up that sort of nonsense.

Oh and I don't drink the "kool aid" either....

And I also realize when posters can't accept that they were wrong

And before you think I'm talking about myself, I assure you I gladly state it when I've been wrong or misinformed.

Edited by maggie cruises

Don't know for sure, but it is deja vu for me...back in December of 2010, the Gem and her sister, the Jewel, both cruising out of New York at the time, had to spend a week in drydock in Boston to get the infamous thrust bearings repaired on their azipod's....The Jewel went first, and encountered delays, resulting in the Gem also getting delayed, and our cruise started a few hours late, which we were able to make up....back then the Gem cruised at a brisk 25 knots when necessary....

Those were the days... yes, both the Jewel and the Gem came to Boston and both times it was in December. I could show my crew friends around on both ships. Boston was decorated for the holidays. When they weren't stuck on long boring fire duty watches, they were itching to experience Boston. Glad I could oblige! Unfortunately during the Jewel's dry dock, a crane collapsed offloading rubbish from the top deck and OSHA came in and it interrupted the whole dry dock schedule. Since cruise lines run things tight as it was, the Gem was doomed for her dry dock too. NCL has never sent a ship back to Boston for repairs after that. :( Most of the time we have smaller military ships in dry dock here. Rare is the case unless it's emergency for a cruise ship to come in.