So What Would It Take For You To Be Totally Pleased?

SLSD

I am not sure if I can think of a cruise line where the vast majority of the people who have been sailing it for many years have said it is not like it used to be.

I remember when we first sailed Seabourn in 2005 and we very impressed some "old timers" said the same thing.

Some of it is truly changes each line has had to make to stay competitive and profitable. By the way only a few years ago before they brought Seabourn under the HAL umbrella with respect to the corporate offices, etc. it was losing money. Many years ago if Carnival didn't purchase Seabourn (same goes for Cunard) it would have been "under water" as it was bleeding in terms of its financial losses.

I also believe part of it comes with age because as many of us get older we think of those better days because they seem better back then. You know sitting in the restaurant on the cruise ship with many people smoking. That was better. Ummm. Even the food tasted better back then but I wonder if some of that has to due with ones taste buds as they get older. Or maybe when you sail for the very first time(s) it is far easier to be wowed. As my wife sometimes says too much of a good thing when some start complaining about trivial things.

Anyway while those gold old days might have been good I would rather to be cruising today then not cruising and staying at home dwelling on those good old days. I also like those good new days.

Keith

Keith, One of my closest friends cruises ( A LOT) on SS. She said exactly what you mentioned. She said the WOW factor was gone. But, she was reflective enough to say that most things onboard were the same as they had always been. I would LOVE to cruise at least once a year, but my husband has sagely suggested that once a year will keep the experience more special. I tend to agree.

The 'WOW' factor remains and it's all to do with where you are going, not the ship that takes you there. I have never understood people who cruise just for the sake of cruising. I go on cruise ships to get to places I can't reach by other means (like Antarctica next month). Apart from the restaurants and the deck spaces, I really don't make any use of the ship at all. It's just a waterborne taxi.

Fletcher, I understand what you are saying and agree that I would not cruise just to be on the ship. I love going to the places the ship goes! But, I have a question---why take a more expensive luxury cruise line if you are just looking for a water taxi? There must be something about the ship that makes you sign up for a SB voyage. Or, is it just the SB itinerary that draws you in? I've looked at the itineraries of other cruise lines, and they go to most of the very same places.

You beat me to it, SLSD. We have cruised for many years, including the Antarctic etc., but now are not up to walking very far or indulging in strenuous exercise. So you might say we cruise 'just for the sake of cruising'. I cannot see anything wrong with that, and when you are an old fogey, Fletcher you may come round to the same point of view. There is room for all of us in the cruising world.

We met a few passengers were not able to do much in ports because of their age/mobility issues. One couple in particular comes to mind---the wife (quite a bit younger--my age) would go on excursions--usually with us--while her husband stayed on board. Since most excursions ended by about 1:45pm, the couple was able to enjoy a nice lunch together back onboard. It worked for them!

• 2 weeks later...

I've sailed only once on Seabourn, and it was on the Legend, long gone.

We had a lovely time!

My recollections of the cruise are almost entirely positive. The only thing I can recall wishing for just a bit was a little something else to do in the evenings- we certainly don't require (or enjoy) production shows, but it sometimes seemed that the ship was practically dead after dinner. And, since we are certainly not "party people" and are generally in bed pretty early, if we felt bored I am sure some others who enjoy a lively experience would have been brought to tears.

So many wonderful memories of that trip. We dined with the Captain one evening which was marvelous (I was seated next to the ship's doctor and we had a fantastic conversation about our shared profession although I am sadly only land based) and another with some officers which was also marvelous. We met a great octogenarian couple who were smart and funny and we saw at many events and shared time with. The Captain himself took a picture of us with a small bird that had landed on a railing and got my email address, composed a short poem, and sent it to me later! I still have a wrinkly bit of Seabourn notepad with an invitation from my husband, left on my nightstand for me to find when I returned from my pedicure, stating that if I would join him at the Sky Bar before the on deck barbecue (an entirely memorable night itself!) I would make him "the happiest man in the world." (OK, so Seabourn did not have a lot to do with that one.)

Anyway, the point is that we very much had a wonderful time on our Seabourn cruise. Some day we'll try the larger ones. The one suggestion I have seen above that I really agree with is a spa selection or two on the menu. This is a great idea!

So many wonderful memories of that trip. We dined with the Captain one evening which was marvelous . . .

On one cruise we met a couple who were extremely stand-offish and turned down an invitation to the Captain's Table. 'We don't eat with our staff at home.' they said, 'so why would we do it on vacation?'

I

I have a feeling that that story might be apocryphal - it was used as Brits may remember on the Hyacinth Bucket programme when the family went on a Cunard ship.

Agreed. That line has been used many many times.

I usually turn down invitations to dine with the Captain as well. With the exception of Mark Dexter and Geir Arnt who were both superb, the few times Ive had dinner at the captain's table are among the most excruciatingly boring evenings I've ever spent.