Refund For Shore Excursion

winecountry

We have a cruise booked in January 2018 and there's a chance we may have to cancel.

I have booked and prepaid (on credit card) a Princess sponsored shore excursion.

If I have to cancel this cruise how do I go about getting a refund for this excursion?

Yes, per above.

Just adding .... sometimes it takes a month before you will see it on your credit card statement.

Should not take a month. Princess terms and conditions state they will refund within 24 hours.

Extract from Terms and Conditions

"Cancellation of Pre-Paid Shore Excursions:

If you have pre-paid a shore excursion and wish to cancel, the following shall also apply:

If a pre-paid shore excursion is cancelled five (5) days or more prior to sailing a refund of the pre-paid amount will be made in one of the following ways:

1) If there is a shore excursion balance for the guest named on the reservation being cancelled then the pre-paid amount shall be applied to this balance.

(COMMENT: Not relevant to OP - really only applies if you have booked another tour shortly before cancelling.)

Or,

2) If there is no shore excursion balance for the guest named on the reservation being cancelled then the pre-paid amount will be refunded to the credit card used to pre-pay the shore excursion. Refunds in this instance will be made within 24 hours of cancellation.(COMMENT: I believe this is the part that is relevant to the situation the OP is describing)"

Also if you cancel your cruise within 5 days of sailing the shore excursions that are pre-paid become non-refundable. Learned this the hard way. Had to use the travel insurance for the reimbursement.

I appreciate that we are talking about what happens with a late cruise cancellation, but just to avoid misleading people who cancel pre-booked excursions with five days of the cruise, but still take the cruise, can I point out that they do get a refund.

Extract from Terms and Condition

"If a pre-paid shore excursion is not cancelled within the above time frame (5 days before sailing) or is cancelled during the voyage prior to the "Closing Time for Cancellation" listed for the particular excursion you wish to cancel, then the pre-paid amount will be refunded to the guest named on the pre-paid reservation as a shipboard credit on this guest's shipboard folio. Please note this is done regardless of which guest pre-paid for the shore excursion."

Also if you cancel your cruise within 5 days of sailing the shore excursions that are pre-paid become non-refundable. Learned this the hard way. Had to use the travel insurance for the reimbursement.

This is kind of mis-leading for those that actually board. While there are certain exceptions for helicopter tours and certain Alaska land tours and hotels, most tours can be cancelled and refunded up until the time noted on the tour ticket. If inside the 5 day time frame the refund is OBC to the guest's on board account. If you miss the on board cut off on you lose out.

"If a pre-paid shore excursion is not cancelled within the above time frame or is cancelled during the voyage prior to the "Closing Time for Cancellation" listed for the particular excursion you wish to cancel, then the pre-paid amount will be refunded to the guest named on the pre-paid reservation as a shipboard credit on this guest's shipboard folio. Please note this is done regardless of which guest pre-paid for the shore excursion."

Note the mention of 'above time frame' means 5 days before boarding.

Edited by sknight

Only seen a few excursions from Princess that are none refundable. Most refundable up to 48 hours before the tour starts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May even take longer for the refund. Do not expect it n 24 hours. I took 6 months to get a refund on a cancelled Princess excursion. Will never prepay through a cruise line again.

You won’t have much luck. Most cruise lines and private suppliers require pre payment.

Thank you all for the information. I just cancelled the shore excursion and the representative said it would take 7-10 business days for refund to show on credit card.

I suspect that this delay may be more related to your bank than to Princess. Here in the UK, on line banking transactions are very quick (yesterday I paid my plumber on line and the money was in his account within a matter of minutes) and I have always received the credit, for any Princess cancellations (to both my Amex credit card and my VISA debit card) the very next day.

Same with hotels.com who say that they will process the transaction immediately, but that it could take up to five working days before the money appears in my account. However, without exception, if I cancel and re-book, in order to get a better price, the credit always arrives on my Amex card account the next working day,

• 5 years later...
On 11/28/2017 at 8:31 AM, Kamloops50 said:

Just called Princess - must cancel 5 days prior. Wow I'm use to 24 hours on another line that we cruise. Not crazy about this rule. Guess we will keep our nighttime SF shore excursion and bring rain coats and gloves 😒

I think the 5 days  deadline is  before your cruise starts.  On board you have 2 or 3 days before the date of your tour to cancel. The cancel by date can be found at the Excursion Desk and possibly on your tour tickets you will receive in your cabin 

• Like 1