Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

notjaded - I see that the Quest has taken a different, less scenic course than we did going south from Santiago. You have spent more time in the open ocean. Is this because of poor weather and maybe lost time?

We also had a day billed as scenic cruising in the Chilean fjords going north, which was in the open sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

notjaded - I see that the Quest has taken a different, less scenic course than we did going south from Santiago. You have spent more time in the open ocean. Is this because of poor weather and maybe lost time?

You are right. Yesterday was 98% open ocean. I think it is a mislabel to advertise that as “Chilean Fjords,” which I will note in my post-cruise critique.

On the positive side, not sure whether I mentioned that Sir Tim Rice is actually aboard, and he has participated in three shows. Saw him in Observation Lounge last night.

The seabournblog says a blue whale was spotted in the Observation Lounge but I would have much rather spotted Sir Tim Rice. We are great fans and wish he had been on our trip rather than that Apple guy Steve something.

I thought I'd share a little picture with you all - this is what Antarctica comes down to, a lot of clobber to wear when you go on a zodiac - my wife says she wore two more items than the 18 I wore:

25144559967_823a45035f_c.jpgAntarctica by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

The seabournblog says a blue whale was spotted in the Observation Lounge but I would have much rather spotted Sir Tim Rice. We are great fans and wish he had been on our trip rather than that Apple guy Steve something.

I thought I'd share a little picture with you all - this is what Antarctica comes down to, a lot of clobber to wear when you go on a zodiac - my wife says she wore two more items than the 18 I wore:

25144559967_823a45035f_c.jpgAntarctica by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

Anyone who has cruised to Antarctica would love this photo. Wish I'd thought to take the same photo! We were always the last ready in our group (me being the cause).

I found that it worked quite well to have two stacks of landing apparel on the sofa - his and hers. And if anyone ever wondered about the value of a balcony on this itinerary let me just say that after getting geared up being able to go out on our balcony to wait until our color group was called was a life saver.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I found that it worked quite well to have two stacks of landing apparel on the sofa - his and hers. And if anyone ever wondered about the value of a balcony on this itinerary let me just say that after getting geared up being able to go out on our balcony to wait until our color group was called was a life saver.

Agreed!! We used his and hers chairs for all the stuff!

True. We got into a routine of turning AC to coldest temp, then opening up balcony door as we donned our apparel.

On another note, it was a glorious day in Puerto Montt, and a visit to the lakes and rapids yielded great joy and pictures.

The cruise video was revealed tonight, and also distributed via flash drive. Video was nicely produced and sure to bring fond remembrances.

Wasn’t intending to post much but want to keep the thread alive

Had a great meeting with the expedition team yesterday. What an impressive group. Today we got some help with our complicated nikons from the two photographers. That was great

This first sea day was about trivia and Bridge for the most part. Tomorrow we are in Puerto Montt where we have a private tour with two other couples

I will post periodically especially if no one else does.

Just to finish off posting about the last journey: Our bucket-list trip overflowed the bucket. Really great experience. The trip was an excellent balance between expedition and luxury cruising. Can’t say I missed having more than one expedition journey a day. While the journeys are “advertised” as lasting about an hour ashore, in reality, we were able to stay much longer if we wanted.

The rented boots provided good stability. While we were advised to up-size from our normal shoe sizes, I really didn’t need to order a size 15, as my 13 size feet fit best in a 13 boot.

We found that we needed 2 base layers and 1-2 mid-layers under the parka shell. The Seabourn merino cap worked better than our wool caps, as they were more sleek, which helped with the parka hood.

A negative report is related to the final day’s post-debarkation cruise excursions. Meeting up at the airport, Not one person reported that they really enjoyed their various excursions. We found ours (and also the one in Puerto Montt) to be filled with time-killers.

On the whole, we very much enjoyed our 21 day cruse with Seabourn.

Glad cruisezen is posting. Takes the pressure off

Just thought I’d post off topic. This is our second sb Cruise. The first was plagued with service problems that astounded even the most devoted sb cruisers on board I don’t like to judge a cruise line based on a single cruise so here we are

Service has been superb. Out stateroom attendant is a gem. The food has been top notch. Last night,s entertainment left me wanting more.

What a difference a cruise makes

Excellent stuff CruiseZen and bitob. On our trip down to Puerto Montt last month it was foggy and rainy and we couldn't see a thing. Rest assured there is even better scenery from Chiloe to Punta Arenas, as long as your weather clears!

A truly glorious day weather wise in puerto Montt today. Sunny and warm. No rain even in the forecast. We were told we were very lucky

We had a private tour for six. Saw some beautiful scenery and visited two small towns. Not the most fascinating port in the world but a nice day nonetheless