HELP!!! Cruising today. One in our Party left Passport at Home!

zaknzoey

...,,, there is no law that restricts you from carrying a bottle of water with you,,,, but the cruise line policy is that you can not carry it onboard due to the security risk it imposes. .....

I hope you do not believe that. They do not restrict water due to security risk. Wow.

I wouldn't do it, a photo copy only. You leave yourself at great risk when in another country. Tough lesson but we've all had stuff like this happen and then it never happens again. Maybe the passport can be overnighted and passenger can meet you at next port.

I wouldn't do it, a photo copy only. You leave yourself at great risk when in another country. Tough lesson but we've all had stuff like this happen and then it never happens again. Maybe the passport can be overnighted and passenger can meet you at next port.

IF they are allowed to board, it would be wise to stay ON the ship when it Port. That would take the risk away.

Great advice about meeting at next port though with the documents.

And this is another reason for flying in the day before it gives you time to fix it. Been there done that!

Some airlines offer a package delivery service. For a fee, they can get a package (i.e. your passport) on a plane to you to Miami some time today if the stars align and you have people able to get the package to an airport in time to make a flight that works. You would have to pick it up at the airport in Miami and then get back to port in time for departure.
Most airline will do this, however it is just a few ounces. Heavier stuff you need to use an expeditor. Luckily passports are light enough. Just ask for next flight out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Help! One of the people cruising with me today left her passport at home! If you can get a copy of her BC faxed to hotel, will NCL accept this??

Bummer!

If she can't talk her way onto the ship, she might want to have someone Fedex the passport overnight to a hotel (which she'll book right now - in addition to a one-way air ticket to the first itinerary port).

Assuming this is a short trip to the Caribbean on a mass market line, this solution may cost significantly more than the cruise itself.

Whether trip interruption insurance will reimburse you will require a careful reading of the policy. IMO, "forgetfulness" is probably an excluded condition.

FYI, If this was a domestic airline transit (no CBP), do know that the TSA has a process for "enhanced screening" of US Citizens who show up at the airport without an ID. Happened to my kid on the way to Hawaii. Lot's of extra questioning and data searching by the TSA. But, she flew SFO-LIH and back without the ID (fortunately, the SFPD airport police found and returned it!)

Of course, the cruise line can have more stringent requirements than US or other governments. And because she's leaving/returning to the US, CBP is another major piece of the puzzle.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Moral of the story: Do not leave your house without your documents. I have a checklist and I check everything on it before I step into the car. My brother is flying in from California to travel with us on our NCL 14 day cruise out of NYC in Jan. He is very forgetful. I have instructed him to call me before he gets in his car so I can remind him to make sure he has his documents. Now I just hope he remembers to call me. LOL

Most airline will do this, however it is just a few ounces. Heavier stuff you need to use an expeditor. Luckily passports are light enough. Just ask for next flight out.

It cost me 100.00 to put our passports on a flight from Ohio to Orlando a few years ago. Package missed the connecting flight in Atlanta so didn't get to Orlando until 10:30 at night.

Made for a very long day😂😂😂.

It cost me 100.00 to put our passports on a flight from Ohio to Orlando a few years ago. Package missed the connecting flight in Atlanta so didn't get to Orlando until 10:30 at night.

Made for a very long day[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

That's true it is not cheap. Depending on which airline you use you may get a direct. When I did it I Checked all airlines and found the flight I wanted and then checked how soon before the flight I had to drop it off.

They may challenge you too because very few items meet the weight limit.

does this person have a state id or a drivers license? if so they dont need their passport as long as its a closed loop cruise where you are beginning and ending at the same US port. All they have to have is that state id or dl I did not have a passport for my first or my second cruise i only used my drivers license.

does this person have a state id or a drivers license? if so they dont need their passport as long as its a closed loop cruise where you are beginning and ending at the same US port. All they have to have is that state id or dl I did not have a passport for my first or my second cruise i only used my drivers license.

They will also need their birth certificate if it is not an enhanced DL.

UPDATE!!!!

She never found the BC at home through the friend looking for it. Was able to fax over pics of PP, marriage certificate and had her drivers license with her. We waited about half an hour, on pins and needles, with blood pressure rising. And finally.....

THEY ACCEPTED THOSE AND LET HER BOARD!

We’re eating a very happy lunch right now in O’Sheehans! :D

Moral of the story: Do not leave your house without your documents.

I've never left the house without documents. However, I did leave them in the cousin's car when he dropped us off at the port. He didn't answer his phone - we called immediately and could still see him driving away, waaaay down the street. By the time he responded to us, we'd already checked in (without our boarding passes). Fortunately our passports were on our persons and not with the other paperwork.

Actually it .needs to be noted that the first link sas 'copy' of BC not 'photocopy' or 'facsimile' except in the case of Children where that is specifically noted and it specifically does not say the same for adults.. As regards the PDF, under the law (and the document here is badly worded but only a reference doc not a legal doc) only a certified copy of a BC is considered to be positive ID (this is not limited to cruise ships). Doesn't mean CBP will not accept one on arrival, but also could mean additional screening and clearance time at the port while they verify identity.

Summary - if its the only option you have, try a copy, but allow for additional issues.

If it’s complete misinformation, maybe you should tell the government that their website is wrong?

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/whti_landsea_faq_3.pdf

Glad to hear it. I assume they are making arrangements for someone to get the passport to her prior to return at customs and immigration because without a BC or original PP (copy will not work because they read the chip in the booklet for additional info) they are at best going to be dealing with secondary verification procedures.

UPDATE!!!!

She never found the BC at home through the friend looking for it. Was able to fax over pics of PP, marriage certificate and had her drivers license with her. We waited about half an hour, on pins and needles, with blood pressure rising. And finally.....

UPDATE!!!!

Whew! I am so glad that it worked out for you. Enjoy your cruise.:D

UPDATE!!!!

You had me stressing over here! Glad they let her on!!! Have a great trip[emoji847][emoji847]

Moral of the story: Do not leave your house without your documents. I have a checklist and I check everything on it before I step into the car. My brother is flying in from California to travel with us on our NCL 14 day cruise out of NYC in Jan. He is very forgetful. I have instructed him to call me before he gets in his car so I can remind him to make sure he has his documents. Now I just hope he remembers to call me. LOL

Wow, that’s a great idea to make a list. I’m sure no one else does that and the OP appreciates the suggestion.

No... original required with raised seal

You can always go to the terminal and start the waterworks (crying) and that may get some sympathy but probably won't work to board

100% inaccurate information. A copy of a state issued birth certificate will work, even if not certified, though it does slow the process down. Most birth certificates issued int he past 30 years do not have raised seals. Op means to say that it has to be certified by the state, which is usually done through the use of special paper and a stamp.

Y,,,, but the cruise line policy is that you can not carry it onboard due to the security risk it imposes.

. . ..

This is 100% inaccurate. While some lines don't allow water to be brought on baord it has nothing to do with security and everything to do with preventing alcohol from being brought on board. It is very frustrating when the same people continue to provide inaccurate and incorrect information.