HELP!!! Cruising today. One in our Party left Passport at Home!

zaknzoey

This is 100% inaccurate. While some lines don't allow water to be brought on baord it has nothing to do with security and everything to do with preventing alcohol from being brought on board. It is very frustrating when the same people continue to provide inaccurate and incorrect information.

Well, actually it was NCL that said it was a security risk when they first announced the water/soda ban in July 2016,

UPDATE!!!!

She never found the BC at home through the friend looking for it. Was able to fax over pics of PP, marriage certificate and had her drivers license with her. We waited about half an hour, on pins and needles, with blood pressure rising. And finally.....

THEY ACCEPTED THOSE AND LET HER BOARD!

We’re eating a very happy lunch right now in O’Sheehans! :D

Confine her to the spa for one day as punishment for all the stress. :p

I'm a little confused that a cruise line's policy can overrule a country's law... and while it's true that the check in personnel are not Homeland Security officials..... when you re enter into the country you certainly pass through CBP and must produce legal documents and a photocopy is not.

If I forget my credit card at home, is a photocopy acceptable to secure charges?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I think we've already learned that NO a photocopy of a credit card is NOT acceptable. I forget the OP's name, but it was a GREAT thread ... got very heated.

To the OP I am very relieved to hear this all worked out for you all! What a stressful way to begin a vacation and I am grateful you took the time to update all of us here on the final verdict.I hate it when it remains open ended with a cliffhanger!! We can only imagine what these past few hours were like for you, and thanks for the reminder to the rest of us to double, then triple check on our docs before leaving our homes once our vacation starts!

We were on Norweigan out of New Orleans a few years ago and I brought the fancy birth certificate not the orginal, we were not even allowed to the check in area. The agents would not let us on. It was a nightmare, they let me get my sister to fax original to them, then she had to overnight the original to them and had to deal with it when getting off the ship. I was lucky she was home and could do all this for me. So we did get on but it took a long time of dealing with waiting for all to be cleared.

You will need to go to the port to deal with all this, they will have the number to fax it to and where to send the original to. I feel for you guys, my party all waited with me, i felt terrible for putting everyone thru the stress. Hope it works out for you. I got a passport as soon as I got home from that cruise.

Every time I support and promote people getting passports to travel, even if it's a closed loop cruise in the caribbean or bahamas .... I get slammed. BUT THIS and the OPs situation is WHY I keep saying ... Passport ... Passport ... Passport!

Well, actually it was NCL that said it was a security risk when they first announced the water/soda ban in July 2016,

Besides wanting to make a buck by selling you water, NCL is only copying the TSA when it comes to security. How are they supposed to know it's water in those bottles.

Simple solution here: either buy water on board or sail on a line that allows you to bring bottled water or provides it at no extra charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Besides wanting to make a buck by selling you water, NCL is only copying the TSA when it comes to security. How are they supposed to know it's water in those bottles.

Simple solution here: either buy water on board or sail on a line that allows you to bring bottled water or provides it at no extra charge.

Who provides bottled water for free? Tap water is free on NCL.

Besides wanting to make a buck by selling you water, NCL is only copying the TSA when it comes to security. How are they supposed to know it's water in those bottles....

Please think just a bit.

TSA bans all liquids over 3oz. A bit silly, but they do have a small amount of reason. Mostly they are worried about a plane becoming a missile of destruction. No large bottles of stuff. No wine, etc.

But a ship is totally different.

You can take a 40 oz bottle of "shampoo" or many other large containers of liquids on the cruise ship. You can take full bottles of wine on a cruise ship (@$15).

It has NOTHING to do with TSA or security.

Why is that so hard for people to understand?

Please think just a bit.

TSA bans all liquids over 3oz. A bit silly, but they do have a small amount of reason. Mostly they are worried about a plane becoming a missile of destruction. No large bottles of stuff. No wine, etc.

But a ship is totally different.

You can take a 40 oz bottle of "shampoo" or many other large containers of liquids on the cruise ship. You can take full bottles of wine on a cruise ship (@$15).

It has NOTHING to do with TSA or security.

Why is that so hard for people to understand?

Because they fail to see it's all about money/profit. NCL is a corporation and will do what it takes to increase profit.

Every time I support and promote people getting passports to travel, even if it's a closed loop cruise in the caribbean or bahamas .... I get slammed. BUT THIS and the OPs situation is WHY I keep saying ... Passport ... Passport ... Passport!

As the title and first line of the OP post mentioned - they have a passport.

It was left at home.

Moral of the story: Do not leave your house without your documents. I have a checklist and I check everything on it before I step into the car. My brother is flying in from California to travel with us on our NCL 14 day cruise out of NYC in Jan. He is very forgetful. I have instructed him to call me before he gets in his car so I can remind him to make sure he has his documents. Now I just hope he remembers to call me. LOL

our passports are one of the first things we put in our carry on luggage when we start our packing about a week before traveling. That and our meds; the rest of the packing can be done in an hour or so. I have always had a fear of leaving the passports at home. thank God it worked out ok: lesson learned, always double check for important documents!

Some people will say yes, some will say no. There is no way of knowing until you get to the port. It’s more than you have right now, so try it! The US government says a photocopy of a birth certificate is acceptable.

• ...The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

I know from experience NCL will NOT take anything but the original birth certificate. My sister in law brought a copy of her son's by accident, not realizing it was not the original and NCL would not let their 11 year old son on board. So, they ended up losing out on their cruise.

I have PDF scans of my family’s passports on a secure cloud server, (as well as other important documents)

On one cruise, somehow a passport was misplaced mid journey.

Upon return to Port Everglades, the online scans were printed at CBP and accepted.

Thank God

I know from experience NCL will NOT take anything but the original birth certificate. My sister in law brought a copy of her son's by accident, not realizing it was not the original and NCL would not let their 11 year old son on board. So, they ended up losing out on their cruise.

Is that because a passport was not required for the 11 yr old?

glad it worked out! i am surprised at the number of people on here tho who have had this happen. i must check a dozen times for my passport (3x when packing, 1x when i leave the house, 1x in the car on the way to the airport, 1x pulling it out at security, 1x before i board the plane, 1x at the hotels, then 1x the morning of the cruise, 1x when checking in for the cruise, then 1x when it goes into the safe. guess that's only 11 times. LOL

I have PDF scans of my family’s passports on a secure cloud server, (as well as other important documents)

On one cruise, somehow a passport was misplaced mid journey.

Upon return to Port Everglades, the online scans were printed at CBP and accepted.

Thank God

Yea, I get that.

But, if you had shown up at the port, I bet they would not have let you board with that "scan".

By the way, great idea to have scans or pictures of important docs online. I have emailed them to myself and they are right there if ever needed, from any computer in the world.

Wow. When we discovered at the Tampa port last year that my 16 yo's passport had expired, NCL suggested we have a friend take a photo of her birth certificate and email it directly to them at the port. They printed it, we boarded with the printed copy of the photo, and there were no issues upon return.

Wow. When we discovered at the Tampa port last year that my 16 yo's passport had expired, NCL suggested we have a friend take a photo of her birth certificate and email it directly to them at the port. They printed it, we boarded with the printed copy of the photo, and there were no issues upon return.

Was this to/from a US port, or international? Was it to/from Tampa or one way?