Iconcierge

lockone

There is a one off charge of $9.95 or thereabouts for iconcierge for each phone.

Only if you want to use it for communicating with others i.e. calling/texting others on board. The app itself is free to use to keep track of your account and to book shows, dinner etc. Also has port guides and excursion guides.

When/where do you sign up for and pay the $9.95 charge per phone?

First, download and pre-install the free iConcierge App before you cruise on NCL (both iOS and Android)

It's easy DIY sign-up online via the App's interface - when connected to ship's WiFi inTRAnet, to register & activate your account - to use most of the features, free of charges. If you opt to use the paid/optional functions via the App, you click & follow the interactive prompts, agreed to the terms & the fees are posted to your Onboard Account as registered.

See post #33 and #34 on this thread - for pictorial illustrations and sample screens.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2507608&highlight=NCL&page=2

It is different and not the same as connecting to and using the ship's WiFi inTERnet ... minutes and/or MB data are not deducted for using the features of this App. Popular Apps such as Facebook, Skype, Hangouts & Facetime, etc. that need WiFi or cellular data, however, do require access to and use of data, beyond the inTRAnet - and, there is a cost for that using ship's satellite wireless inTERnet.

When/where do you sign up for and pay the $9.95 charge per phone?
On the ship, through the app. You only need to pay if you want to use the "texting" part of the app. Our party found that functionality seriously lacking on the Escape in October. We had much better luck with iMessage - which was free. You needed iPhones to use it, but DW and her brother both had them.

On the ship, through the app. You only need to pay if you want to use the "texting" part of the app. Our party found that functionality seriously lacking on the Escape in October. We had much better luck with iMessage - which was free. You needed iPhones to use it, but DW and her brother both had them.
Pretty sure they've closed that iMessage loophole, or at least are working on it, based on other threads I've read here.

Iconcierge and the WiFi minutes are completely separate. Iconcierge is a free app that has a messaging feature for $10. But this uses the ships intranet and doesn’t cost anything in terms of ‘minutes’. To get a comparable experience using iMessage and ‘minutes’ will take way more than 250 minutes. Iconcierge is on basically all the time you are on the ship so would be comparable only to an unlimited internet package. Otherwise you’ll run out of minutes a few hours through the first day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Question - are you saying imessage worked at sea if you install the iConcierge app? the reason I am asking is on the first Norwegian cruise I took I think I accessed the free wifi (where you could read the New York Times or something) and discovered my imessage worked to text the dog sitter back home. It only worked for 5 days though but I was thrilled. (it could have been Holland can't remember) Thanks!

Question - are you saying imessage worked at sea if you install the iConcierge app? the reason I am asking is on the first Norwegian cruise I took I think I accessed the free wifi (where you could read the New York Times or something) and discovered my imessage worked to text the dog sitter back home. It only worked for 5 days though but I was thrilled. (it could have been Holland can't remember) Thanks!

If you log into the free intranet, on some ships there is a glitch that allows you to use iMessage for free. On the jade in Jan it did not work. I had a couple messages come through but couldn’t send out and it was nowhere near reliable. You can pay an upgrade free (for us it was $10 for the cruise) to text others onboard through iconcierge. But that didn’t allow you to text back home and didn’t use iMessage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Escape this past October, it was $9.95 to use the messaging part of the app but they offer a 50% discount if you sign up on day 1 of the cruise.

We found the app very useful for checking the account and for various guides but the messaging was not used as much as we anticipated.