Surprised by policy on ship sponsored shore tour

Scotto97

Go sail other cruise lines then. :rolleyes:

As a stockholder I want Carnival to make as much money as possible. :D

If you really wanted to maximize profits as a stockholder surely you'd lobby to stop allowing people to bring any allotment of wine onboard at embarkation.

I wonder, are you just being the contrarian in this thread and do you really feel that wine from an excursion should not be allowed at all, or are you just playing "follow the policy", and so if the policy changed you would be okay with it.

Nope. No problem with the policy. The wine WAS purchased (as part of the tour) so it was PURCHASED wine (nice try at nitpicking a policy though).

The difference with winning a bottle on board is that it is already on board. You're not trying to smuggle it through security.

Pleading your case is a bit dramatic don't you think? If you fly you can put that bottle of wine in your luggage on the way to the airport. If you only have carry on luggage then you can have a great party in the taxi ride to the airport.

If you ask nicely, I'l show you my pompoms. :*

You sound exactly lkike Al Franken defending a policy

The company has a policy. The company advertised that policy. The company enforced that policy. Just where in the world do you determine there was poor customer service??? Is it poor customer service because they didn't bend the rules for a complainer who didn't want the rules enforced for them? People complain so often because Carnival doesn't enforce a lot of their rules and then when they do, people cry about that.

We ain't in Australia so, IMO,. it's a moot point. But to answer your question, what you think the rules should be is moot as well unless you are Carnival Australia's CEO. If you don't like a business' rules, don't spend you money with them. I don't like NCL's rules so I don't sail NCL (unless I have to). Can it be much simpler???

I had no idea what a cruise ship was when I was stationed in the Netherlands back in 1992 and have not attempted to make a reference back to that time. Back on the Titanic in 1912, passengers could carry weapons on board (at least they did in the movie). Of course, what they did in 1912, 1992, or even 2000 is not what they are doing now. Time to catch up with today's policies.

So what you are saying is you were wrong, got called on it, and you are extremely sorry?

If you really wanted to maximize profits as a stockholder surely you'd lobby to stop allowing people to bring any allotment of wine onboard at embarkation.

I wonder, are you just being the contrarian in this thread and do you really feel that wine from an excursion should not be allowed at all, or are you just playing "follow the policy", and so if the policy changed you would be okay with it.

I'm not the lobbying/protesting type of person so you'll never really see that from me. As with almost any policy, rule, or law in existence, I really don't care what the policy is, only that people abide by them while acting like adults with integrity. Personally speaking, I'm up to here with people acting like their situation is the one situation that everyone should overlook, that they are special and the rules should bent for them. Carnival could change most of their rules and I wouldn't care in the slightest although as a stockholder, I do prefer rules now that maximize profit and minimize liability (really don't need another dummy who can't hold their liquor falling off their balcony again). But as I stated here (or maybe a different thread), if someone really wanted to try and change a policy, this is about the last place to do it. Start contacting the people who actually can make a change. Dribbling about it here just shows everyone here that you think you're special.

28 is not enough as I guess you never sailed Carnival in Europe lately or anywhere back in the 90's when you could bring on alcohol by the bottle or case. Carnival sailings in Europe you can bring on any alcohol at any port. I brought on 2 cases of Amarone in Venice and several bottles of Rum in Barcelona & Marseille with no problems. Your not in the right 'Category'.

Stop comparing apples and oranges. We all know that rules in other countries are different for cruising. Using your logic, all cruise lines every where in the world should operate the same. That would be like saying all countries should have the same laws, traditions, food, and clothing. Means nothing.

Back to the original topic. I think the port alcohol policy is fine. I also think that Carnival could have been a little clearer in their communication about this particular excursion. Lastly, I think the OP could have reasonably anticipated the policy enforcement and planned a little better. But in the end I sincerely hope that it didn't 'ruin' his vacation and thank him for enlightening everyone here on the board.

Stop comparing apples and oranges. We all know that rules in other countries are different for cruising. Using your logic, all cruise lines every where in the world should operate the same. That would be like saying all countries should have the same laws, traditions, food, and clothing. Means nothing.

There was a Carnival to Carnival comparison, 90's to 2000's. Also the country has nothing to do with the fact Carnival ALLOWS liquor to be brought on-board in Europe including non-EU countries. Carnival could easily police it in Europe. Come on Hillary it has nothing to do with countries. If so Mexico would let OP bring on cases of wine!!!!!

The way I'm looking at this is that you did purchase the bottle of alcohol. Even though you think that you were given a "free" bottle that bottle was included in the price of your excursion. Of course I've been wrong so many times in the past I might be wrong here.

This is nothing more than a poor policy of Carnival. The tour was to a winery, and each guest that purchased the tour, received a bottle of wine. The price of the wine was included. It was a ship sponsored tour. Other cruise lines allow items such as this to be bought on.

They is a right way to handle things, and a wrong way. Carnival is desperate for money, and does not want any opportunity to receive less revenue to interfere with that policy.

So does Carnival if you follow the rules.

There was a Carnival to Carnival comparison, 90's to 2000's. Also the country has nothing to do with the fact Carnival ALLOWS liquor to be brought on-board in Europe including non-EU countries. Carnival could easily police it in Europe. Come on Hillary it has nothing to do with countries. If so Mexico would let OP bring on cases of wine!!!!!

Not only are you comparing apples to oranges, you are now using an ad hominem approach pretending that it makes your argument legitimate. Comparing the 1900's to 2000's in anything is like comparing dogs to cats (or apples to oranges). Companies have every right to adapt their rules to local customs wherever they choose. If you do not like it, that is your problem. If you choose not to sail because of those rules, that is your choice. Have a nice day.

Well your comments had nothing to do with mine so I was assuming that was a computer nerd's way of apologising for being antagonistic.

Actually my comments, broken into 3 sections, addressed each of your statements. :rolleyes:

If stating and agreeing with company policy which is made known prior to taking an excursion is considered antagonistic, so be it. If not jumping on the Carnival bashing bandwagon because someone couldn't get Carnival to bend their rules is antagonistic, then hell yea, that's me all the way. I know how to follow someone else's rules when I'm in their house.