Surprised by policy on ship sponsored shore tour

Scotto97

Nope. No problem with the policy. The wine WAS purchased (as part of the tour) so it was PURCHASED wine (nice try at nitpicking a policy though).

The difference with winning a bottle on board is that it is already on board. You're not trying to smuggle it through security.

Pleading your case is a bit dramatic don't you think? If you fly you can put that bottle of wine in your luggage on the way to the airport. If you only have carry on luggage then you can have a great party in the taxi ride to the airport.

If you ask nicely, I'l show you my pompoms. :*

I agree with everything you say Computer Nerd. An important point you missed is that you may need to report the wine to customs because it might be considered duty free and require a duty payment.

I beg to differ - Carnival knows full well that this tour gives participants a bottle of wine. And I paid Carnival directly for the tour.

Therefor this is no different than when a passenger wins a trivia contest and is given a bottle of wine or champagne - it's not immediately taken back from them is it?

Unless you're saying that Carnival has no knowledge of what happens on its officially sanctioned shore tours.......

First comment: Winning wine at a trivia contest is totally different. It means that the person who won was never off the ship and the wine they won was purchased by Carnival and brought onto the ship, and all the appropriate taxes and fees have been paid for that bottle of wine. No they do not take it back because the person that won it did not buy it.

Second comment: Two people are walking back on the ship and each is carrying a bottle of wine. How would the security person checking them in know that one of the bottles of wine was acquired on a ship purchased tour and one of the bottles was bought at a liquor store in the port? There is only one conclusion to make. Both bottles were acquired in the port and the rules require that both must be stored for the passengers and returned on the last night of the cruise.

Scott I am on your side and see your point. This is a policy that should be amended. It would be good customer service to do so and make plain sense. I'm not going to play internet lawyer working for cruise company here.

Even if you simply posted "It would be a nice change if they let you bring the wine from the tour back to your room" you'd have people trying to lecture you and pointing to the policy; as if the policy is infallible or could not ever be in question. Anyways, you are right, would make sense to do ti the way you proposed.

Second comment: Two people are walking back on the ship and each is carrying a bottle of wine. How would the security person checking them in know that one of the bottles of wine was acquired on a ship purchased tour and one of the bottles was bought at a liquor store in the port? There is only one conclusion to make. Both bottles were acquired in the port and the rules require that both must be stored for the passengers and returned on the last night of the cruise.

That makes a lot of sense.

I beg to differ - Carnival knows full well that this tour gives participants a bottle of wine. And I paid Carnival directly for the tour.

Therefor this is no different than when a passenger wins a trivia contest and is given a bottle of wine or champagne - it's not immediately taken back from them is it?

Unless you're saying that Carnival has no knowledge of what happens on its officially sanctioned shore tours.......

I think they assume most people would just pop it in their luggage. If you only had carryon, thats an issue, but nothing stopping you from checking a bag or shipping it home.

Sure, so in that case a conspicuous sticker could be put on by the tour operator to indicate it was from them.

Exactly, what an easy solution to improve a customer's experience.

Man this is a tough room - I guess Carnival should be proud of the intense loyalty they have developed.

The perfect product apparently

Carnival is basically acting as a sales agent for the excursion operator. The excursion operator is providing the wine as part of their product, not Carnival. As for the guide stating you can take it back to the ship and consume it, that is of no value. The guide works for the tour operator, he/ she does not work for Carnival and has no say on their policy.

I would think most folks would get the idea that the wine is going to be confiscated (temporarily since you do get it back) based on the statement in the Carnival excursion description about checking their liquor policies. It should have at least raised some questions before purchasing the excursion. Apparently it (the policy) needs to be spelled out a bit more so that it is clear that any alcohol brought on board is subject to confiscation.

I agree with the OP, Carnival knows this wine is being provided by the tour and the tour was a Carnival excursion, so they were paid for the wine. They should be allowing cruisers to keep this wine.

On a side note, I bought a bottle of Rum in Jamaica and it was in my bag, no one asked and I did not offer when I boarded the ship.

Sorry to hear. I did this tour some years ago on Carnival and everyone on my bus walked right on the ship with bottle in hand. I didn't see anyone get stopped and asked to turn it in.

For the money the Ensenada wine tour is one of the best value tours I've seen. I rarely book on-board but would highly recommend the tour. But dam they should let you keep the bottle. I would just ignore the liquor table as there would be too many people around for them to keep track.

Scott, you could have kept your $10 of plonk for only $50 in baggage fees, ya know. How is that Carnivals fault? OMG how entitled of an entitlement entitler can you be! j/k

It's pretty customary on other lines that the wine received in a tour / make your own wine session, or otherwise ship sanctioned event occurring off the ship, is basically "gifted" to the recipient. Part of the benefit of booking through the ship is being able to enjoy your new wine at dinner, as opposed to booking independently and having to turn over the wine. I also believe on other lines, such as Princess mentioned earlier, do not charge corkage fees on these bottles if consumed in dining rooms / public venues.

And I am sure someone will say well that's Princess, this is Carnival, yadda yadda. Who cares? That is a difference without a distinction and both fall under the same corporate parentage; in that case I vote for the more paying client friendly scenario, which is the Princess one.

Either way, everyone here should advocate for what is best for the consumer, IMO. None of us work for the company. I think OP has totally normal and logical expectations and the point raised valid. He does not seem mad or out of line in his reaction, but surprised and disappointed. Many of us would feel the same way in his position. It seems this is one policy that should be reviewed or exceptions made in cases like this, as such Carnival or the tour operator should easily be able to mark these bottles.

Do you all know how this post WOULD have gone?

"We just took a lovely wine tour on our cruise. We booked it through Carnival and one of the benefits was being gifted a bottle of wine we could have onboard. Sailaway sure was nice sharing that wine this evening. If you are looking for this kind of excursion I'd recommend you see what is offered directly through Carnival. A++, would drink again"

Instead all we now know is Carnival has a policy less friendly to the consumer than its own sister brands. How is this good for any of us?

Frankly, OP, I'd take your original posting and send it to icare@carnival.com. At minimum someone will read it within the company. Hopefully you reach a thoughtful and understanding person that can tell when something does or does not make sense.

Now, let us all turn to our policies, page 17, section b, as we read aloud the size requirements for carry on luggage...

Man this is a tough room - I guess Carnival should be proud of the intense loyalty they have developed.

No, people live to be mean on these boards. Don’t take it personally. I understand your point, from a customer service perspective, it’s lacking. Rules and policies should be reviewed for their usefulness periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sure, so in that case a conspicuous sticker could be put on by the tour operator to indicate it was from them.

And all the liquor stores on the island or in the port would get copies of that sticker from the original excursion provider and with a little ENCOURAGEMENT($) from obvious ship's passengers they would put that sticker on every bottle purchased. Pretty soon, almost every bottle being carried on to the ship has a sticker on it, and all the Cheers buyers become Bottomless Bubbles buyers instead.

Have you tasted that wine?[emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad you asked......it was described as a light, sweet, sparkling wine similar to Lambrusco - which would have been terrible if served on the bus ride back to port at the warm temperature we received it at. - it did come with a screw top though.........!!

That's one of the reasons I was so frustrated by the policy. Enjoying it prior to shipboard confiscation really wasn't a plausible option.

I'm sure some of the cheerleaders will say I should have brought a bag of ice on the tour along with cups of course

Truth be told, I purchased a $90 bottle of Caymus (A nice red wine) later on the cruise - so it wasn't an issue of money (I also had Cheers) , just frustration with a policy that results in a poor customer experience.

I'm not a complainer - the very first thing I said in the original post was that I had a wonderful time.

Edited by Scotto97

Glad you asked......it was described as a light, sweet, sparkling wine similar to Lambrusco - which would have been terrible if served on the bus ride back to port at the warm temperature we received it at. - it did come with a screw top though.........!!

That's one of the reasons I was so frustrated by the policy. Enjoying it prior to shipboard confiscation really wasn't a plausible option.

I'm sure some of the cheerleaders will say I should have brought a bag of ice on the tour along with cups of course

Truth be told, I purchased a $90 bottle of Caymus (A nice red wine) later on the cruise - so it wasn't an issue of money (I also had Cheers) , just frustration with a policy that results in a poor customer experience.

I'm not a complainer - the very first thing I said in the original post was that I had a wonderful time.

Be careful about labeling ... I merely pointed out that it was the policy. It may not be a great policy, but policy it is (it really wouldn't matter to me which cruise line's policy it is, as long as it is the stated policy).

Has nothing to do with loyalty. It has to do with following the rules set forth by the company. Yes, people can complain about them here (and believe me, they do) but we have no control over Carnival's policies.

That being said, I like Carnival's alcohol policy. You are allowed to take a small quantity on board at embarkation and if you need more, then you need to buy it on ship (which increases profits which as a stockholder, I like). One has never been allowed to take alcohol to their cabin from ports and where it came from in port is immaterial (I understand some people get away with it but that is another thread).

One has never been allowed to take alcohol to their cabin from ports and where it came from in port is immaterial (I understand some people get away with it but that is another thread).

I believe this is not true. Years ago you could or at least that's what I've been told. If someone can take a bottle of wine on-board at embarkation then someone should be able to take beer or liquor as well. But like you said that's another thread.

And all the liquor stores on the island or in the port would get copies of that sticker from the original excursion provider and with a little ENCOURAGEMENT($) from obvious ship's passengers they would put that sticker on every bottle purchased. Pretty soon, almost every bottle being carried on to the ship has a sticker on it, and all the Cheers buyers become Bottomless Bubbles buyers instead.

I doubt that would happen.

I believe this is not true. Years ago you could or at least that's what I've been told. If someone can take a bottle of wine on-board at embarkation then someone should be able to take beer or liquor as well. But like you said that's another thread.

What you think people should be allowed to do and what they are actually allowed to do are two different things. I've been sailing since 2000 on Carnival and I can not remember ever being able to bring alcohol back to my cabin from a port.

I've been sailing since 2000 on Carnival and I can not remember ever being able to bring alcohol back to my cabin from a port.

Wow 2000 that's a long time. I think you'll find you could bring alcohol on-board and buy it in duty free to bring back to your cabin. Just like you could get off mid cruise stay at a hotel and get back on a week later. But hey since it hasn't happened on your cruise timeline I'm sure that's not true either.

Has nothing to do with loyalty. It has to do with following the rules set forth by the company. Yes, people can complain about them here (and believe me, they do) but we have no control over Carnival's policies.

That's probably where we disagree the most.

Carnival does read these boards and also answers their emails and reads their post-cruise surveys.

I do feel we have a voice (A well managed company hears its customers) so I'd never concede to having no control over its policies.

It may be a very small voice, but I would never do business with a company I felt cared nothing for my opinion.

Would you?