If and why?

Twinzma

Twinzma - Hoping that each treatment provides the most time possible. I'm in a similar situation as I mentioned, but the last treatment I was on just got FDA approved in 2016, and I got a good 10 months out of it. My current treatment was approved in 2013 for my type of cancer. I know there is a balance of realism and hope, but you never know which one might work.....my original mets were in every lobe of the liver and plentiful, but the right treatment actually took me to no evidence of disease for 3 years.. My wish is that he will find that treatment to produce stable or regression for as long as possible.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Hopefully a new treatment comes, chemo only buys us time. I want him to have a lifetime of dreams in whatever time we have left. We promised our kids Alaska and Canada for HS graduation but they are only in 6th grade..We'll see how he feels this summer and if given the thumbs up from oncology maybe this should be our start. There are several of you that seem to like the Alaska cruise.
If you are looking at 'one last cruise' then you don't realistically think he will live another 6 years. So do the dream vacation you promised your kids! If Alaska and Canada is something you have wanted to do together, do it now. You will never regret it. If he does survive until they graduate, then you will have plenty of time to think up another dream.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Oh my, a real bucket list question! So sorry about your husband’s illness.

If you are an American, nothing makes me more proud of our country than our last frontier and the land that Seward purchased from Russia. The glaciers are spectacular, the wildlife is astounding, the clean air and our Alaskan American friends that are so fun and entertaining and energetic! If you can do a one way and add on Denali (specifically the longer “glacier wilderness tour” and the Kenai peninsula, especially Kenai fjords National Park tour, this is part of a 4 day do it yourself added to our cruise, and a cruise tour, ( which was great). All of this is not too strenuous.

I have also completed the South America cruise around the horn, which was spectacular, but if you have not been to Alaska, please don’t miss it.

I researched this trip for a year and the folks on cruise critic take the credit for helping me design our trip. It was. May 2015.

Here was the itinerary:

Flew to Vancouver, 2 days in Vancouver, sightseeing.

NCL Sun northbound one way Vancouver to Seward, with a cruisetour called “Aleyeska ...”(cant remember the rest of the name).

Cruise included: Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway PLUS both Glacier Bay National Park and the mighty Hubbard Glacier.

We booked an aft balcony, wow! It was awesome for Alaska.

We did not see any shows but instead spent many an evening on our aft balcony looking at scenery and enjoying our each other’s company. Lots of eagle sightings!

These are things we did at each stop:

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords National monument flightseeing with Michelle at island wings.c16ddd02337f51a676c4d92fb86a052d.jpg6e0f9a1bdc84b22c4c59cf1e29d8b53b.jpge294252e4fdf7102d9d4908a89a5ea6b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Juneau: Taku Glacier Lodge flightseeing and yummy Salmon BBQ. Flight includes flying over Juneau ice field and landing in the Taku river! You can do little hikes around the property, but not necessary. We saw a beautiful bear there!44043fc2bf01d9db6b71825cc9c3bcd7.jpg

Skagway: “Glacier wilderness safari” to Davidson Glacier near Haines, Alaska. This is way off the beaten path and just a little more strenuous than your husband can do. (The whitepass train ride is an easy excursion, as an alternative).

It requires a fairly long (45 minutes) ferry ride with a naturalist on board as you look for whales and wildlife. Then a short bus ride, then you change into boots and jackets and walk about 1/4 mile to a canoe landing, each canoe holds 10 people, you paddle for a bit and then they turn on quiet motors to take you to Davidson Glacier, you get out on the moraine of the Glacier and can pick up ice etc. Fun day! Lots of sea lions on the way back! And eagle sightings.

I don’t think I have a pic of this day on my phone.

Next day was Glacier Bay National Park. We arrived on a unusual spectacular sunny day. The rangers arrive by a ‘purposeful accident’ and climb up a ladder to cruise ship with a bookstore in tow!

Even the rangers were impressed with our sunny weather that day! Glacier Bay was stunning!97a89d494705ccb3abfd962e7d47f099.jpg2f15009d2cbe57a608eb0d34a8f72dad.jpg

Sorry that I don’t have pics of the many beautiful glaciers that we saw.269bece6c557b1c8369183895ebd92b6.jpg

If you could only take one last NCL cruise because of health issues, which one would it be and why?

wow, that is a hard one to answer, but I guess I would take the Sun. Why, because I love the layout and the cabins are a little larger than some NCL cabins. I also love the Las Rambles for tapas late in the day. It is large enough to have all the amenities i need, small enough to be easy to find your way around and the service has always been fantastic. Of course I would have to see the itinerary before making a final decision. I think I would be inclined to choose a itinerary that isn't too port intensive or too long.

Now I have read your answer to why the question,let me be another to offer my prayers and good wishes. I will tell a short story which may be encouraging to you: we have a couple at our church going through the same thing only it is his lungs. About 18 months ago he had one removed, then was told a few months later his condition was terminal. He choose not to fight it, but did agree to meds etc that would make him feel better. They decided to do exactly what you are thinking about; take one last cruise on their cruise line of choice. Well, now here we are 18 months later and he is doing suprisingly well. His biggest problem, he broke his leg. In fact it happened on the cruise, so he is just now off crutches and able to drive. So I guess there is always hope.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Next day was Hubbard Glacier which is massive and beautiful, an active Glacier with many calvings. And indescribable colors. (We saw this glacier on a previous cruise). Sadly our captain made the decision to turn the ship around due to heavy fog and many icebergs.7ea3cd038f6368cdca6fb38a376109e8.jpg

It is so impressive I have a big picture of it in our house.

We arrived in Seward and got on our 4 day cruisetour. NCL uses Premier Alaska tours. This was really fun. I thought that this part of our adventure would be touristy and hokie, but they were great and fun.

We went to Seward sealife Center, a small aquarium.

Then the Alaska wildlife conservation center. Fun to see animals that they are rehabilitating.af75d2b46b78d347e53ee51604ff1694.jpg

Then off to the best hotel in all of Alaska. The ski resort lodge at Alyeska. Beautiful! Included are passes to the top of the gondola. Great bar up there. We made reservations (months and months ahead) at the 5 Star seven glacier restaurant at the top so we got a second ride up there. Gorgeous views and one of the best meals I’ve ever had. Got a good shot of a female moose here in morning.5736db109e0402d7412dfa1d58ea370f.jpg

Then it was off to our champion iditorod sled dog training center. Amayesing!

Then off to Denali National Park for 2 days.

Next day was our bus tour of the park. Make sure you choose the longer tour into the park to see lots of wildlife.

Next day was our train ride back to Anchorage with a great observation car including dining and a cash bar!

Spent night at Sheraton in Anchorage. Went to airport the next morning, most people flew home, we rented a car for 4 more days of Alaska adventures. Drove to a small town of Soldotna . Next day we fished for halibut and Salmon. Had our catch fileted, frozen and shipped home.a7b3fe06d369e53d885e1928737301ef.jpg

(We were allowed 2 halibut each, the other ones were from the rest of our fishing party on the boat that day).

The next day was Kenai Fjords National Park your. A great captain on an large catamaran took us to see abundant wildlife, more than we saw on all other days combined. We saw otters, mountain goats, whales, dolphins, puffins, harbor seals, sea lions. It was an amazing tour plus a nice BBQ buffet with a ranger talk on Fox island at the end. Then freshly baked chocolate chip cookies to top it off for the trip back to Seward, well worth it.aca9fa388ef5ecb1c75cfd9383d6d77b.jpgdda538b52ca5424d76537598ef69d23b.jpg

That night we decided to see if we could get another last night at the hotel Alyeska. It was available! Don’t miss the indoor pool and huge jacuzzi with view of mountains!

Next day was trip back to Anchorage to fly home.

End of our “bucket list” trip to Alaska.

I really hope that your family gets to do this together.

Hope our trip helped you plan something like this for your family.

Sorry to hi jack your thread, but we had so much fun planning and executing the cruise, cruisetour and do it yourself part, that I wanted to share with all of you.

Please know we are pulling for your husband to get through this crisis. Wishing you, your husband and your family well.

Twinzma - Hoping that each treatment provides the most time possible. I'm in a similar situation as I mentioned, but the last treatment I was on just got FDA approved in 2016, and I got a good 10 months out of it. My current treatment was approved in 2013 for my type of cancer. I know there is a balance of realism and hope, but you never know which one might work.....my original mets were in every lobe of the liver and plentiful, but the right treatment actually took me to no evidence of disease for 3 years.. My wish is that he will find that treatment to produce stable or regression for as long as possible.

This is so encouraging! Thank you. To be the patient, I don't think my mind would process it. I am still in disbelief but am holding strong in front of him & the kids. When I went to the store, I pulled my car over had my melt down and continued on. I look at it this way, maybe he will go into remission and have several good years, or tonight be struck by lightening. This is our wake up call, we never know what tomorrow calls for so live for today and forget about the past. I pray for you many many great tomorrows ahead.

Twinzma, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's illness. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I like some of the other poster's suggestion to ask your husband about his preferences. Would he be able to fly to a distant port?

My choice would be Bermuda, because there are cruises which leave from Baltimore, New Jersey, New York, or Boston.

Bermuda is lovely, clean, safe, and easy to navigate. You can't rent cars, but they have plentiful cab, ferry, and bus service. We go there often from Boston, because there is no flying involved for us.

I wish you all the best.

Twinzma, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's illness. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I like some of the other poster's suggestion to ask your husband about his preferences. Would he be able to fly to a distant port?

My choice would be Bermuda, because there are cruises which leave from Baltimore, New Jersey, New York, or Boston.

Bermuda is lovely, clean, safe, and easy to navigate. You can't rent cars, but they have plentiful cab, ferry, and bus service. We go there often from Boston, because there is no flying involved for us.

I wish you all the best.

I am glad to hear you say Bermuda; we have never done it but are going in early May. The other cruise I would consider if I was wanting one last truly fun experience would be, as mentioned above, Panama Canal.

DH was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, he has 30 mets on liver.

Sorry to hear that. Having gone through this just last January with a family member with liver and pancreatic cancer. If you want to go, go now, don't wait pack up and go. Have them pick the location. Things will get in the way if you don't go early and your loved one may not go.

Sorry to hear that. Having gone through this just last January with a family member with liver and pancreatic cancer. If you want to go, go now, don't wait pack up and go. Have them pick the location. Things will get in the way if you don't go early and your loved one may not go.

We are leaving Sunday on the Getaway and he's looking forward to it. We planned it long before his diagnosis for our 20th Anniversary. So at least we have this one. I am looking for that special cruise, for when our 11 year olds are out of school and he's in between treatments. Live for today and pray for a miracle.

DH was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, he has 30 mets on liver.

I am sorry you are going through this. If it gives you ay hope, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer and lived 7 years after the diagnosis. We cherished every minute of those years.

Oh and to answer your question. My mom's very last vacation (and she took a lot of them), was a cruise to the Western Caribbean on the Star in the Garden Villa! It was a fabulous time for all, and now looking back, so glad we did it. The butler and concierge were so helpful with my mom on that cruise, and it made a world of difference for all of us.

I just lost my mother to stage four brain cancer in October. Our last cruise together was a couple of years ago as she was slowing down.

We've talked many times about the cruises and trips we've taken and we are both in agreement that our favorite cruise was our south America cruise on the NCL Sun. We love the aft PHs and had 9076 both Sun cruises. I don't know if I will ever take a cruise that tops that one. For many reasons.

So sorry to hear of your news !!!! My feeling is Alaska...............I went for the first time last June and did not think I was going to enjoy it since I LOVE warm weather and it was an AMAZING trip!!!! Go for the forward facing penthouse you see everything close up with a full view and it is breathtaking. You can go inside when you are cold get a hot drink and still see everything from that cabin....

Good luck to you and your family sending positive vibes:)

The reason South American cruises are so amazing is that you have the majestic amazingly beauty of nature like Alaska cruising the Chilean fjords.

But, you ALSO have the culture of South America. The vinyards in Chile and Argentina, the gorgeous leather in Argentina, the beef in Argentina, the sea bass in Chile, the shopping in Argentina, the art, (I loved the little gallery I discovered in Montevideo), the beaches in Argentina, etc. in addition, there is crossing the horn and I did a day trip to Antarctica.

The reason South American cruises are so amazing is that you have the majestic amazingly beauty of nature like Alaska cruising the Chilean fjords.

But, you ALSO have the culture of South America. The vinyards in Chile and Argentina, the gorgeous leather in Argentina, the beef in Argentina, the sea bass in Chile, the shopping in Argentina, the art, (I loved the little gallery I discovered in Montevideo), the beaches in Argentina, etc. in addition, there is crossing the horn and I did a day trip to Antarctica.

I am interested in hearing you did a day trip to Antarctica. Was this an extra while on the SA cruise? Which line was this? I looked on NCL’s website for the Sun and it doesn’t seem to offer a day trip to Antarctica as an excursion. Was yours a private excursions while in Ushuaia? Thanks for the info!

My last message was about cruises you could do right now. Alaska is amazing, and perfect for kids. Your whole family will love it!

They'll love the Bering Sea crab tour, and if you do the helicopter to dogsled, book it directly through temsco to save money.

I am interested in hearing you did a day trip to Antarctica. Was this an extra while on the SA cruise? Which line was this? I looked on NCL’s website for the Sun and it doesn’t seem to offer a day trip to Antarctica as an excursion. Was yours a private excursions while in Ushuaia? Thanks for the info!

It was a NCL excursion out of Punta Arenas. Bus to airport. Plane to Antarctica. Wonderful catered meals onboard. Came with a NCL Antarctica red parka. Awesome day. Only about 1/3 of the excursions happen due to weather prohibitting landing on gravel airstrip on Antarctica. I was told many times that decision is made while sitting on the tarmac ready to take off.

Morbid I know, but my DH loves NCL and we may not have as much time together as we hoped for.

I’m very sorry 😐

If it were me, I would love to take the HI to Australia cruise (with stops in Bora Bora and Tahiti) or the one in May-and-only-May Barcelona to Venice

Why....because I’m landlocked in MN and both of those seem amazing