If and why?

Twinzma

I am hoping this is only a rhetorical question for you. Anyway I would look at what would be the easiest in terms of travel to the port and on the ship. Probably somewhere I could drive and then once on the ship no tendering.

Then I would choose from the available options. Alaska comes to mind if I were within driving distance. I see you are in Florida so if I lived in Florida I would look at the closest port and which itinerary would not involve tendering.

I am hoping this is only a rhetorical question for you. Anyway I would look at what would be the easiest in terms of travel to the port and on the ship. Probably somewhere I could drive and then once on the ship no tendering.

Then I would choose from the available options. Alaska comes to mind if I were within driving distance. I see you are in Florida so if I lived in Florida I would look at the closest port and which itinerary would not involve tendering.

DH was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, he has 30 mets on liver.

Morbid I know, but my DH loves NCL and we may not have as much time together as we hoped for.

I wrote that right when you were posting at the same time. I'm so sorry that this is happening to your husband, your family and yourself.

As someone with metastatic cancer & trying to travel while I can, my thought would be is there somewhere he always wanted to go? I’ve managed to get in a Morocco, Canary Islands, & Spain from Barcelona last year & have a Baltic’s planned for this summer. Alaska could be a nice option a bit closer if not interested in Caribbean. The nice thing about cruises is that you can see so much with so little effort (no packing & schlepping into a new hotel every night). I’ve become ok with wearing a mask on flights or primarily doing the sit down restaurants instead of buffet if counts are low.

Wherever he wants.

That said, my personal opinion is anywhere but the Bahamas/Caribbean or Mexico. Assuming you're US based.

The Mediterranean if he wants sun. Asia for exotic. Alaska or the Norway area if he likes to see ice and mountains and stuff (that's my favorite and where I'd go for peace and happiness on my last trip; heat/sun stresses me out). South Africa does sound cool too.

But yeah, wherever HE wants to go.

DH was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, he has 30 mets on liver.

I am so sorry to hear that. Have him make a wish list then check out the ships that go there. I have a friend that had liver cancer and after his treatment he made the decision to stick close to home by driving to a port and then doing a week to Bermuda. He stayed in the most expensive cabin he could afford as he knew he would spend lots of time potentially in it. Comfort and convenience trumps ports sometimes. Or perhaps if he feels he can fly an Alaska inside passage where he can see lots of sights from the comfort of his cabin.

Think about a Grand Tour combining a B2B ship positioning cruise i.e. NCL DAWN leave Boston for

Bermuda the southern Caribbean maybe touches of the western Caribbean arriving back in New Orleans

Tampa or even Miami.

Another Tour leave Miami thru the Panama Canal up the Mexican Rivera to reposition the ship in Alaska.

Transatlantic doing the Baltic or Mediterranean as a 2nd leg

Ship positioning to do the South American cruise around the horn either pre or post season

Reverse any of these for seasonal cruising.

Impressed with NCL - but think about connecting with another cruise line to fill in a gap.

Just some of the ideas getting more than 14 days out of cruise.

God Bless and make the most of your time !

Twinzma, very sorry you're having to go through this and I wish you and your family & friends all the best.

I would do something enjoyable but not too strenuous. I know the temptation is to live it up, but choosing something more relaxing might be a better choice.

My personal choice would be Australia but doubt your DH would manage that very well so perhaps Hawaii or maybe a Transatlantic might be good with just a few days in the destination port exploring the area.

Depending on Hubby's condition at the time of the cruise a TransAtlantic with so many days at sea not being close to land may not be a good idea. With an illness like that it may not make sense to be too far away from land if (Lord forbid) a MedEvac is called for.

Just a thought.

If you could only take one last NCL cruise because of health issues, which one would it be and why?

Where you want to travel varies with different individuals. That being said, once you have picked out the place you most want to visit then the main concern is make the trip as easy and care free as possible.

1) Make sure the patients Doctor approves the travel. Health care available on board is limited.

2) Fly to and from the embarkation and debarkation city unless you’re lucky enough to live in the city you’re sailing from.

3) Speak with the cruise line and arrange a Wheelchair accessible cabin and rent an electric wheelchair for the trip so that your husband does not have to endure undue pain or fatigue during the trip.

4) Choose a cruise with NO ports that require tendering.

5) Bring enough of your husband’s medications, especially his pain medications to last twice as long as the cruise you are going on is expected to last. You never know when delays might occur.

6) Don’t necessarily assume that this is his last cruise. Sometimes miracles really do happen! If your husband’s doctor has told you that his time is limited, he may be correct but then again I have seen many patients who failed to follow the expected prognosis and course for their condition.

7) Have a wonderful, pain free, and worry free cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First of all, im sorry you are even having to ask this question. My thoughts and prayers are with your entire family.

I have loved all of my Alaskan Cruises, they have been my favorite trips. So, I would look to do something similar is possible. Maybe a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords. Something that if I did not feel like getting off the ship still gave me breath taking views. More importantly, it would just be about the quality time I would spend with family and friends.

Would definitely recommend a Haven suite to get all the perks and assistance you need, you will be treated like royalty. But, if that isn’t possible, I would recommend a smaller ship, like the Jewel class, because they aren’t so crowded and I feel they are more personal. The Gem is my favorite- great staff and nice layout. Best of luck ....

If you could only take one last NCL cruise because of health issues, which one would it be and why?

From the information you gave about his health I think that a cruise from Florida with ports you have already visited, so that it feels okay to stay on the ship. And book a suite located in the Haven.

Take care.

I'd want to b2b in the haven on one of the bigger ships to any destination I've not done. Not picky as it maybe time dependant. For now I'm going keep fitting in as many as I can while fit and healthy (well could be fitter)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry to hear this. If it were me, I’d want to plan a grande finale with as many friends and family as possible. Itinerary wouldn’t be important. Gathering everyone for one last hoorah would be most important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so sorry. From Florida, the easiest and most interesting cruise I took was the 10 day roundtrip Panama Canal on Princess from Ft. Lauderdale. I don't know if NCL does a similar cruise, but that one lets you see Aruba, Cartagena, the Panama Canal, Costa Rica (not the nicest part of costa rica but still nice) and Jamaica or Grand Cayman (they switch). South America would be a great destination from Florida if he feels up to it.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Hopefully a new treatment comes, chemo only buys us time. I want him to have a lifetime of dreams in whatever time we have left. We promised our kids Alaska and Canada for HS graduation but they are only in 6th grade..We'll see how he feels this summer and if given the thumbs up from oncology maybe this should be our start. There are several of you that seem to like the Alaska cruise.