Veendam Live in the Caribbean Dec 2017

Crew News

REQUEST:

Can youtake and post a photo of the MDR lobster from the second formal night? There are people here who swear that it's warm water, but DW and I lived in Maine for years and we know that it's cold water lobster.

Thanks!

REQUEST:

Can youtake and post a photo of the MDR lobster from the second formal night? There are people here who swear that it's warm water, but DW and I lived in Maine for years and we know that it's cold water lobster.

Thanks!

I can do that but it will be two lobster tails.

I agree. On our Veendam cruise in Oct at the Stage 1 notice I saw people in the passageway heading for their lifeboat with their life jackets on. If everyone would LISTEN and FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS the drill would go much quicker and people would actually know what to do in an emergency.

On our last cruises with this 1 - 2 - 3 procedure, we followed the rules and waited in our cabin for "3".

I use a Rollator and had to wait and wait for an elevator -- we were 15 minutes late each time!!

HAL needs to improve this procedure.

I'll be sailing first time on HAL next year. For a 7-day Veendam cruise, can you tell me what days of the week they have the formal nights? I'm assuming it's 2 nights on a 7-day cruise like the other cruise lines. Also, I'm at the very back of the Lower Promenade deck. From the deck plans, there is a lined area at the back. Is it stairs for the crew? or does it lead to the outside promenade. Thanks for checking and answering my questions. For new HAL cruisers, it's a great service you are providing. I like to plan ahead so I can enjoy my cruise to the max! Thanks again.

The Lido Market breakfast and the lower number of passengers meant no lines at any of the individual stations and tables easy to find. The muesli and yogurt parfaits in the tiny containers were again brought to my minibar for later snacking.

As on previous cruises, the Art Auction took over our Ocean Bar planned Meet & Greet and our party of 16 had to move to the Cocktail Bar for our meeting. Nearly forty people were on the original roll call but the ship had several things happening at the same time of our roll call. At noon the group went to lunch together in the MDR where we had a reserved group of tables set apart from the rest of the diners. The best laid plans for chocolate purses did not materialize but the desserts on the lunch menu more than satisfied us.

The ship had a number of activities for the rest of the day to keep the passengers busy.

There were two desks available to purchase Future Cruise Deposits which meant only a few minutes wait to purchase them and book future cruises.

It was Gala Night and I counted 14 tuxedos for those keeping track of such information. The rack of lamb for dinner and the chocolate soufflé were excellent. After dinner, I had the chance to spend some time with the Dining Room Manager and pepper him with dining questions.

The internet connection was not very good and there were periods of no service at all in my stateroom. I look forward to St Thomas where my cell phone will allow me to download my corrupted missing scanner driver that is delaying all of my beverage menu collection.

I now have all of the MDR and Lido Market breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late snack menus which should correspond to the Series A and B menus for the Caribbean season.

I moved my clock forward before retiring for the evening.

More later.

I'll be sailing first time on HAL next year. For a 7-day Veendam cruise, can you tell me what days of the week they have the formal nights? I'm assuming it's 2 nights on a 7-day cruise like the other cruise lines. Also, I'm at the very back of the Lower Promenade deck. From the deck plans, there is a lined area at the back. Is it stairs for the crew? or does it lead to the outside promenade. Thanks for checking and answering my questions. For new HAL cruisers, it's a great service you are providing. I like to plan ahead so I can enjoy my cruise to the max! Thanks again.

I will try

Thanks for your comments, Roger. I'll be verry interested to compare what you edxpeience with my experience of July cruise on Vendam. I wonder ifs ... s ame Hotel Director is still there.

Have a great cruise.

Looking forward to your reports.

Why wasn't the person in charge of setting up the Meet & Greet not notified that a new meeting place needed to happen? Someone screwed up.

VanHey - Hi. I set up the Meet and Greet - I’ve recently been in touch with the HAM rep. What has transpired about a new Meet and Greet place? Thanks

Looking forward to your reports.

Why wasn't the person in charge of setting up the Meet & Greet not notified that a new meeting place needed to happen? Someone screwed up.

Because Roger (aka Crew News) did not set it up as an official M&G. He prefers to set it up only through and with fellow CC Roll Call members and does not like being penned down to a place or time.

Do not ask me why he does it that way. I told him I'd do the leg work... But... He's a man... What else can I say..

Joanie

Because Roger (aka Crew News) did not set it up as an official M&G. He prefers to set it up only through and with fellow CC Roll Call members and does not like being penned down to a place or time.

Do not ask me why he does it that way. I told him I'd do the leg work... But... He's a man... What else can I say..

Joanie

[/quote

VanHey - I don’t understand. Who is Roger? I’ve received confirmation from the On Board Events Coordinator for the 11/23/17 date and time. Did someone else schedule a different date and time?

Joanie

Hi Joanie

I totally understand ..........:D

Joanie

[/quote

VanHey - I don’t understand. Who is Roger? I’ve received confirmation from the On Board Events Coordinator for the 11/23/17 date and time. Did someone else schedule a different date and time?

Roger is my husband. He is also known here on CC Boards as Crew News. He also is the OP of this thread.

I know how to set up the Official CC M&G's with HAL. I did it for several years, 2-3 times each year, until this past year when I could no longer cruise.

My hubby, God Love him... Does not like to burden himself with undue paperwork or set times. I think that's because of his 24+ years in the US Army....... Anyway he did not go through HAL to set up an Official M&G. Instead he did it via Roll Call members. Heck, I even volunteered to set it up...but he said no.

Hope this makes sense now? :)

OK, time to get back to the Blog subject(s):)

Joanie

Roger is my husband. He is also known here on CC Boards as Crew News. He also is the OP of this thread.

I know how to set up the Official CC M&G's with HAL. I did it for several years, 2-3 times each year, until this past year when I could no longer cruise.

My hubby, God Love him... Does not like to burden himself with undue paperwork or set times. I think that's because of his 24+ years in the US Army....... Anyway he did not go through HAL to set up an Official M&G. Instead he did it via Roll Call members. Heck, I even volunteered to set it up...but he said no.

Hope this makes sense now? :)

OK, time to get back to the Blog subject(s):)

Joanie

VanHey - Hi Joanie. Does that mean there will be two sessions or did Roger get the members to go to one other than 11:23 at 11:00Am. When and where is the meet and Greet that Roger set up? I’m sorry, this is the first I’m hearing about this. Thank you

VanHey - Hi Joanie. Does that mean there will be two sessions or did Roger get the members to go to one other than 11:23 at 11:00Am. When and where is the meet and Greet that Roger set up? I’m sorry, this is the first I’m hearing about this. Thank you

The two informal MeeT & Greet sessions have been completed and there will be no others on this cruise. There will be another informal Meet & Greet on the Zaandam in Alaska next May for those on my roll call.

I now have all of the MDR and Lido Market breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late snack menus which should correspond to the Series A and B menus for the Caribbean season. More later.

Roger, I'm trying to understand how the menus work. I'm assuming that Series A and B are for two separate 7-day cruises, correct? We'll be on a 10-day on the Nieuw Amsterdam soon. Will your menus correspond with ours somehow? :confused:

Boarding was delayed for 15 minutes for a medical emergency and reported Immigration issues. So, sail away was also 15 minutes late. None of my electrical cords/adapters were confiscated so my investment in cords with detachable cords was successful.

We are sailing with only 800 passengers I heard so the Muster Drill was not the typical canned sardine adventure. One crew member chastised all of us who arrived five minutes early and told us all to return to our staterooms to wait for the final call that was to take place in two minutes???? The elevators were a huge issue when the drill ended. Three of the four elevators were turned off for luggage delivery and the one remaining elevator returned 25 minutes after

shuttling between Decks 8-10. Seven scooters and walker users were not very happy. From reading previous reports, this is not a new thing for the Veendam.

The Taco Bar at the indoor pool was not open on Embarkation Day. T.he hand washing stations where you merely insert each hand for a wash before drying with a paper towel are a nice addition to the Lido Market. Restroom were immaculately clean.

My Vista Suite still has the DVD player and the electrical plugs have an extra outlet that can be used. No USB ports by the bed. There is one electrical outlet at the desk.

The initial Meet & Greet in the Ocean Bar at 4:30 for about 15 members of our roll call went well. Hopefully, we will see more at our Sea Day Meet & Greet on our first sea day tomorrow.

During my initial tour of the Veendam, I noticed things that differ from my previous experience on Vista and Signature class ships. The display of art to be auctioned was double the size of the Vista ships. The movie theater did not have a few huge seats but rather enough seats to seat more than 300 passengers.

The “Oprah” Shop sold only Oprah-signature products.

Dinner in the MDR produced more changes. The cream-colored waiter’s jackets are replaced by black vests that make them dressed just like the wine stewards. Whipped butter replaced frozen butter chunks. Bread baskets are replaced with metal bowls. Dinner plates are now deeply recessed with sides about an inch from the bottom of the plate.

As I write this my laundry just returned and the hanging items are now contained in what looks like a travelers suit bag with the receipt tucked into a small pocket on the front of the bag. This is definitely a step up in class and I when I asked if it was for me to keep, I was told, “No.”

Internet service was down yesterday so this report is being posted while the ship is anchored at Half Moon Cay.

Lots of passengers are foregoing the tenders because of the Konigsdam also occupying Half Moon Cay.

More later.

VanHey - Good update - Enjoy your trip!

Uh VanHey, Just went and reread your other post regarding the M&G you have confirmation for on 11-23-2017....... Did you mean 12-23-2017? If not and you do mean 11-23-17, you are a bit late to boarding the ship:)

IF you mean 12-23-17, then Roger (Crew News) will not be with you on that cruise since he disembarks on 21 Dec 2017 when the ship returns to Ft Lauderdale.

Joanie

Uh VanHey, Just went and reread your other post regarding the M&G you have confirmation for on 11-23-2017....... Did you mean 12-23-2017? If not and you do mean 11-23-17, you are a bit late to boarding the ship:)

IF you mean 12-23-17, then Roger (Crew News) will not be with you on that cruise since he disembarks on 21 Dec 2017 when the ship returns to Ft Lauderdale.

Joanie

Hi Joanie

I reread it late last night and figured it out. Of course it is 12/23/17. I did not use my stylus. I was looking forward to meeting Roger, he sounds like a fun guy and it was nice ‘meeting’ you. Also, the members on this holiday (12/22-1/3/18) roll call all sound like they are ready to have fun.

Roger, I'm trying to understand how the menus work. I'm assuming that Series A and B are for two separate 7-day cruises, correct? We'll be on a 10-day on the Nieuw Amsterdam soon. Will your menus correspond with ours somehow? :confused:

I have been asking about the menus for the next 12-day cruise through Cuba which the ship does not yet have.

Due to the need for provisioning the ships, I think my menus are probably used by merely removing an appropriate number of days. I know that the Panama Canal menus for both the 10 and 11-day cruises by removing Day 9.

The Gala Night menus should be the same for all Caribbean cruises.

Until other Caribbean cruiser report what they had for dinner, I am unable to confirm the applicable menus. Just know that I will keep trying to find the answers.