Dreams pig and anchor a massive disappointment not real barbecue at all

imouer

That's the trouble with trying to replicate a local dish. I had Maryland Crab Cakes and New England Clam Chowder on our last cruise and they were edible, but they were no where near as good as the dishes made locally by folks who've made the same dish their entire lives.

Yup and don’t even get me started on the Cuban sandwich which ought to be A-1 on a Miami based cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nothing beats Santa Maria (CA) TriTip. Needs no sauce for it to be tasty.

After retirement number 1, spent a few years commuting SF to NY. Often tried to get tri tip from a grocery store and even from some butchers. Usually got the same answer: "what's that?"

I’m from Western NC and our BBQ is ketchup based. I can’t stand the Eastern NC style which is vinegar based.

We just got home from being on the Magic and were not impressed with Pig and Anchor. Maybe we are just spoiled by good BBQ here at home. We only went once and the only thing I enjoyed was the Mac and Cheese. [emoji1303]

Being from Kansas City, perhaps I am spoiled, but I would suggest that part of the problem is that in my humble opinion, Guy Fieri is a tv personality who himself has no clue what real barbecue tastes like. The best BBQ comes from small locally owned restaurants, not corporate chain restaurants.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Being from Kansas City, perhaps I am spoiled, but I would suggest that part of the problem is that in my humble opinion, Guy Fieri is a tv personality who himself has no clue what real barbecue tastes like. The best BBQ comes from small locally owned restaurants, not corporate chain restaurants.....

When he opened his Times Square restaurant, The NY Times review skewered him. The food is basically Appleby's or Chili's - pretty lackluster.

Kansas City BBQ is the best. I'm not a sauce guy I like mine dry and seasoned.

Guy is an idiot with an ego. His food is crap.

After you've tried miso glazed sea bass, crispy duck/watermelon salad and aragosta Fra Diavola, curry and tandoori will be distant memories.

While I don't care for the Tandorri (mostly veggies), the dishes you mentioned above would turn my stomach. Thanks for ensuring I will never waste good money sailing Oceania.

I’m from Western NC and our BBQ is ketchup based. I can’t stand the Eastern NC style which is vinegar based.

We just got home from being on the Magic and were not impressed with Pig and Anchor. Maybe we are just spoiled by good BBQ here at home. We only went once and the only thing I enjoyed was the Mac and Cheese. [emoji1303]

I'm from Eastern NC but I love all kinds of BBQ, vinegar and ketchup based.

BTW, have you ever tried the Peddlin' Pig near Banner Elk? That is some goooooood BBQ. :hearteyes:

You and zeta 3 sound like my kind of folks (food quality is actually an important cruise consideration, particularly when it's more than a one week boat ride). You both should really consider an Oceania cruise if for no other reason than the food!

Oceania is definitely on my list to try. So many ships so little time :)

I'm from Eastern NC but I love all kinds of BBQ, vinegar and ketchup based.

BTW, have you ever tried the Peddlin' Pig near Banner Elk? That is some goooooood BBQ. :hearteyes:

We have ate there once and it made us sick! We usually stick to Woodlands in Blowing Rock! [emoji1303]

Interesting how we all have our regional favorites. To me, BBQ and blues go hand in hand. The places with distinct style of BBQ also have distinct style of blues.

St. Louis BBQ - St Louis Blues

Kansas City BBQ - Kansas City Blues

Memphis BBQ - Memphis Blues

Love Chicago blues but don't know if they have a unique style of BBQ. Love their hot dogs (almost as good as a slaw dog :D) but their pizza....no, no, no....give me New York style.

I like the fact that we have different preferences...makes life more interesting.

I have lived in Orlando all my life, and we’ve had pulled pork here for many, many years. If you’re in town looking for good barbecue, I heartily recommend 4 Rivers Smokehouse. They have multiple locations in Central Florida. Their brisket is amazing, and their pulled pork is quite wonderful as well!

While I don't care for the Tandorri (mostly veggies), the dishes you mentioned above would turn my stomach. Thanks for ensuring I will never waste good money sailing Oceania.

Exceptionally great food isn't for everyone. But, I do think you'll miss the filet mignon/lobster tail sandwiches served daily poolside.

I had Guy's Pig & Anchor on the Breeze this past September and I'd say our review is mixed... the Mac 'n Cheese everyone raved about tasted like pasta with a white sauce on it, no cheese flavor... their sausages were too spicy for me (subjective, I know) and the first piece of beef brisket I tried was dried out and hard.

Now for the good- their pulled pork was some of the best I've had! It was juicy and flavorful, I had several kinds of sauces but enjoyed it just plain even more! The 2nd piece of brisket I tried had a wonderful smoke ring, was not dried out at all and I really enjoyed it. DH had the chicken and said it was good- not great, just good.

As for sides, their cole slaw is AWESOME! DH & I went back for seconds, and we both came away with just cole slaw! Their potato salad is okay, not my favorite food in the world anyway.

I think the theory is sound for the P & A, but like many land-based locations, sometimes the execution falls flat. I'd definitely eat there again, just pick & choose what I like, and what looks good. I'd also not be afraid to ask for a different selection of meat if the piece they're putting on my plate doesn't look appetizing.

"Exceptionally great" of course being in the eye of the beholder.

True to a degree. But, there are certainly quantifiable differences in raw ingredients (e.g., prime vs choice [or less] beef; #1 semolina flour; sushi grade ahi, EVOO, etc).

A chef would have to be pretty bad to make the best ingredients taste terrible (and, of course, some do).

There's also the issue of how often on any particular ship one would/could get things like lobster, veal, etc at no additional charge (if at all).

True to a degree. But, there are certainly quantifiable differences in raw ingredients (e.g., prime vs choice [or less] beef; #1 semolina flour; sushi grade ahi, EVOO, etc).

A chef would have to be pretty bad to make the best ingredients taste terrible (and, of course, some do).

There's also the issue of how often on any particular ship one would/could get things like lobster, veal, etc at no additional charge (if at all).

Yes, those quantifiables are the basis for many star rating systems.