Dreams pig and anchor a massive disappointment not real barbecue at all

imouer

So seems like the consensus is that it’s pretty decent BBQ. Funny that most of the people on the Dream didn’t like it. I’m looking forward to trying it on the Vista.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You'll probably enjoy the Vista's BBQ, we did last year. I also enjoyed the Breeze's BBQ last week on embarkation day. I'm no BBQ expert, but I can understand how the OP feels. I'm the same way about my southern Italian food, being a Bronx born Italian who grew up with homemade pastas and gravies. I can't stand the sweet sauce they use in the Cucina.

I'm curious to know from everyone who's visited Guy's BBQ place, do you remember if it was open on embarkation day?

Depends on the ship. On the Vista it was open on embarkation day. On the Glory it was only open on sea days.

As an Eastern NC boy, I enjoyed both the pulled pork and brisket. I thought it was better on the Vista but both were good.

Depends on the ship. On the Vista it was open on embarkation day. On the Glory it was only open on sea days.

As an Eastern NC boy, I enjoyed both the pulled pork and brisket. I thought it was better on the Vista but both were good.

I agree about Vista. According to my Fun Times it was open from Noon-3pm on Glory but that's not Guy's - it's Ol' Fashioned BBQ.

I'm loving reading all the comments about Guy's BBQ place. People definitely have strong opinions about what good barbecued meat tastes like (along with opinions about the sides). I will board Dream New Year's Eve and was hoping Guy's BBQ place would be open on embarkation day, but each time I've posed that question here on this board in different threads, I get both yes and no answers. Lol. So I guess that will remain a mystery for now. One thing I haven't seen anyone comment on is how the mac n cheese is. Is it tasty?

We booked the Dream for a third time because we love the tandoor grill only to learn that is about to be removed from service. That said we also were excited to try the new pig and anchor barbecue Because we are from the south and love barbecue and we are Guy fans. We waited in a long line for about 20 minutes to get our barbecue and I could tell when I saw the beef brisket that something was wrong. It was a dense and hard and had no smoke ring. Then they piled the greens on my plate and they were covered with a slimy yellow grease and had no vinegar smell. I reach for the Carolina barbecue sauce for my pulled pork in it was the right color but again had no smell of vinegar in was a bit sweet tasting nothing like anything in any of the Carolinas. I tried to eat the greens I took two or three bites forcing myself to eat this slimy crap with no vinegar. I have no idea what that was but they were not greens this southern boy knows better. I took one bite of the brisket and spit it out. Anyone that knows me knows that I love beef brisket and I know what it is and whatever this crap was it had no business being on the menu and I’m sure guy would be hugely embarrassed if he tasted it. The chicken was just OK not enough smoke as was the pulled pork. But again Carolina style pulled pork is all about the vinegar-based sauce and there was none to be found on the ship. Is I threw most of my food away I heard other people complaining that the food was not worth the wait and there was much disappointment all around me. At the dinner table The only ones who had anything nice to say about the barbecue were the people from Michigan and being that they don’t have a strong barbecue tradition up there I will give them a pass for not knowing better. The sad thing was the dream heels out of Louisiana and poles from all the deep southern states and everyone on that ship nurse for barbecue were supposed to be in the aint this crap unfortunately

Your feelings about the BBQ mirrors my feelings about any of the onboard Mexican offerings. We’ve learnt just to avoid it altogether.

We booked the Dream for a third time because we love the tandoor grill only to learn that is about to be removed from service. That said we also were excited to try the new pig and anchor barbecue Because we are from the south and love barbecue and we are Guy fans. We waited in a long line for about 20 minutes to get our barbecue and I could tell when I saw the beef brisket that something was wrong. It was a dense and hard and had no smoke ring. Then they piled the greens on my plate and they were covered with a slimy yellow grease and had no vinegar smell. I reach for the Carolina barbecue sauce for my pulled pork in it was the right color but again had no smell of vinegar in was a bit sweet tasting nothing like anything in any of the Carolinas. I tried to eat the greens I took two or three bites forcing myself to eat this slimy crap with no vinegar. I have no idea what that was but they were not greens this southern boy knows better. I took one bite of the brisket and spit it out. Anyone that knows me knows that I love beef brisket and I know what it is and whatever this crap was it had no business being on the menu and I’m sure guy would be hugely embarrassed if he tasted it. The chicken was just OK not enough smoke as was the pulled pork. But again Carolina style pulled pork is all about the vinegar-based sauce and there was none to be found on the ship. Is I threw most of my food away I heard other people complaining that the food was not worth the wait and there was much disappointment all around me. At the dinner table The only ones who had anything nice to say about the barbecue were the people from Michigan and being that they don’t have a strong barbecue tradition up there I will give them a pass for not knowing better. The sad thing was the dream heels out of Louisiana and poles from all the deep southern states and everyone on that ship nurse for barbecue were supposed to be in the aint this crap unfortunately

I agree we are from Arkansas , and was on The Breeze last week .. Only thing that resembled BBQ , was the chicken legs ..they were ok ... If you are from the south and know real Q This ain't it Also Had the baked BBQ beans ..Who puts NAVY beans in BBQ beans ???? They are in there

Edited by Crusin Hogs

I was on the Dream in September. I was very disappointed with the brisket. It was cut up in chunks and very tough. It looked like they were bringing pans of cooked meat from inside and putting it on the smokers on the deck.

I had a different experience. The brisket was soft and had a wonderfully dense crust (as it should). I believe that this is more of a Texas-style BBQ experience, than a Carolina-style. I didn't have the greens, but they didn't appear the way that you described yours. Personally? I prefer KC-style BBQ.

How to start an argument in the south: Just pass judgment on a BBQ joint! (Of course, here in Texas we say the difference between Texas BBQ and KC BBQ is that we got the cows when they were fresh off the pastures, and KC got them after they'd walked 700 miles.)

Coming from Texas, we were excited to try the BBQ. I mean the Guys Burgers were awesome, so the BBQ should be too, right. Yeah, no. The line was expected but the quality of the food was not. I know Texas BBQ and this was far from it. You do gets lots, but quantity did not make up for the lack of quality. No real taste on most of it and what did have a taste was not a good one. Of course, to each their own, just my opinion. I'll have another burger instead.

I'm from Alabama and you being from TX we know what it should be. To me it isn't BQ. I lived up north till 69 and some people their use to think sloppy joe was BQ. I guess its depends where your from. I have been to TX two times and yall brisket is to kill for

I enjoyed it on Vista. I’m from the Midwest and now live in VA. To me BBQ is actually stuff you put BBQ sauce on. I can’t stand the Carolina vinegar stuff that they have around here. It’s like mixing sauce into the cup you dip your Easter eggs into when coloring them.

The reason for a vinegar sauce on pork is to cut the fat.

How to start an argument in the south: Just pass judgment on a BBQ joint! (Of course, here in Texas we say the difference between Texas BBQ and KC BBQ is that we got the cows when they were fresh off the pastures, and KC got them after they'd walked 700 miles.)

I cooked competition BBQ for 12 years. Sounds like what they have would not pass muster for anyone that knows real BBQ.

There's more than one variety of BBQ. I live in Virginia and strongly dislike vinegar based bbq. I prefer tomato based texas/Memphis style. My guess is that more people from around the country are more familiar with that variety and that is why they serve it. I never knew vinegar based bbq was a thing until I moved to virginia 6 years ago. It's not as popular as you think outside of the southeast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's more than one variety of BBQ. I live in Virginia and strongly dislike vinegar based bbq. I prefer tomato based texas/Memphis style. My guess is that more people from around the country are more familiar with that variety and that is why they serve it. I never knew vinegar based bbq was a thing until I moved to virginia 6 years ago. It's not as popular as you think outside of the southeast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree. I had no idea there was a difference until I moved down here. I was shocked when I didn't see the sauce that I was familiar with on it. Took a bite and gagged. For real. I totally was not expecting to taste that. I can eat it now, but on very rare occasion. Like if I'm starving. I'm sure others feel the same about the kind of BBQ I grew up on, but I just can't do the vinegar thing.

I was on Dream for the 2017 Halloween cruise. I am an early riser, and I can say for a fact I watched them at sunup working, basting and rotating meat in the smokers that are right there in plain view on deck. So it's real. As a southerner, born and raised, I can also say that we get a little bit territorial about our BBQ. It's not just state to state. Styles even change county to county and city to city. So with all that said, I went to Guy's BBQ knowing that I wouldn't find any really good North Alabama BBQ, and for sure no white sauce. But all in all, it was good Q. The sides were the real star. The baked beans had great flavor. To bad after the first day, word got out, and I never could face standing in the long line after that.

So the Dream no longer has Tandoor?

I love BBQ, but I would never book a cruise just for that reason. I can have BBQ anytime, its the other foods I appreciate. Like escargo, Lobster (All seafood) etc... When we were on Magic, I didn't like the bbq at all. Everyone has their own tastes and will never be able to please everyone.

Very disappointing to hear that, I've been hoping to try this and keep reading bad revues. One point of contention I have with your post is about the Michigan people not having a strong barbecue tradition. Unfortunately that is not true. Some of the earliest inhabitants of the Great Lakes Region were the inventors of Barbecue, the mound builder natives have been smoking and barbecuing meat since before 1000 BC based on the historical records they left behind. Though these people did not survive to modern times, they taught other groups of natives their techniques and it has persisted in the region long before Christopher Columbus pillaged America.