Dreams pig and anchor a massive disappointment not real barbecue at all

imouer

True to a degree. But, there are certainly quantifiable differences in raw ingredients (e.g., prime vs choice [or less] beef; #1 semolina flour; sushi grade ahi, EVOO, etc).

A chef would have to be pretty bad to make the best ingredients taste terrible (and, of course, some do).

There's also the issue of how often on any particular ship one would/could get things like lobster, veal, etc at no additional charge (if at all).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How often to get Lobster? That is not even on my radar when selecting a cruise. I can live with eating only one lobster tail a year. And veal? Steak? Any of these items are in the class of foods that I don't go out for, as it is much better to fix them at home.

This thread is about BBQ, and how some think Carnival should cater to their own personal region, vs a shotgun approach of many styles and sauces. I like it. Even bad BBQ is edible.

Exceptionally great food isn't for everyone. But, I do think you'll miss the filet mignon/lobster tail sandwiches served daily poolside.

What you consider exceptionally great food is not considered to be the same by others. The sandwiches sound good but not for the money they want to get them and I definitely won't miss something I've never tried. I'm happy right where I'm at.

What you consider exceptionally great food is not considered to be the same by others. The sandwiches sound good but not for the money they want to get them and I definitely won't miss something I've never tried. I'm happy right where I'm at.

You are correct in that different folks have different tastes. And "exceptionally good food," as noted by Michelin stars or James Beard awards or multiple accolades in food reviews of the world's major newspapers, may make you cringe because you've never tried or even heard of it (BTW, it seems that you are okay with "lobster" but shunned the idea of "aragosta" (a.k.a. lobster).

Nonetheless, there are those of us who agree that regional dishes should be true to their roots and use the highest quality ingredients and styles of preparation available to best showcase those dishes.

Face the facts: discount cruise lines that may spend $10+\- per person per day on food will never be able to serve anything much better than what is available at an Appleby's or Golden Corral.

And, while some folks may enjoy or even seek out that kind of food (which is their right to do so), there are plenty of others who would just shake their head and push the plate away - if only because it's not authentically true to its roots (in both ingredients and preparation).

I leave you with the great advice from Dr Seuss: "Try them Sam I Am!"

Umm- I am not a southerner really (more like a Midwest/southernish) but we know our BBQ here in Missouri. And although we prefer to grill our pork in slabs called "pork steak" here I have had pulled pork and it definitely was more than "a few years ago." So that's definitely not the case.

I don't know about the sauce, never had Carolina sauce. I am more of a fan of Maulls, which is a tomato based- kind of like a spicy version of ketchup. I grew up on it and always loved it. I don't care for Kansas City style sauce (might as well just put sugar on it) or mustard based, so I might like Carolina style. I will have to try it, if I can find it.

Greens- Never. Ever. Ever. (See I told you I was not really a southerner).

However, my point is that people have different tastes when it comes to BBQ. My number one choice would be a pork steak on a charcoal grill slathered in Maulls, but you might see it as a slab of meat that had not finished smoking with ketchup on it.

That said, its hard to mass produce good barbeque. Especially on a ship that has to worry about fire, flames and ventilation. Its just not going to come out as good.

Pork steaks, YUM! As you likely know St. Louis has their own take on Memphis dry rub style too ala Pappy's Bogarts, Sugarfire and 17th Street on the Illinois side...

The Splendor has a BBQ restaurant of sorts as well, but not the Guy's stamped one.. I agree, it wasn't as great as what's smoked/grilled at home but there's only so much that can be done on a ship with all it's regulations.. It was by far better than resorting to lido casserole!

Interesting how we all have our regional favorites. To me, BBQ and blues go hand in hand. The places with distinct style of BBQ also have distinct style of blues.

St. Louis BBQ - St Louis Blues

Kansas City BBQ - Kansas City Blues

Memphis BBQ - Memphis Blues

Love Chicago blues but don't know if they have a unique style of BBQ. Love their hot dogs (almost as good as a slaw dog :D) but their pizza....no, no, no....give me New York style.

I like the fact that we have different preferences...makes life more interesting.

BBQ and blues.... Go together like peas and carrots!

Live in St. Louis, wouldn't have it any other way!

... until a few years ago you never heard of pulled pork outside of the Carolinas or Virginia

With this statement, you just demonstrated to everyone reading this thread that you actually have no knowledge of pulled pork or barbecue. No reason to continue reading.

One thing that is universal in food related threads is that any food item's appeal is subjective.

I am originally from New England, have lived just outside of Charlotte, NC and now am just outside of Philly.

I do not order Boiled Lobster, a lobster roll, steamed clams, clam chowder or Boston Creme Pie outside of New England. It will just not be the same.

Being in the middle of the state on the SC border all 3 of the "Carolina" BBQ sauces were served in the Charlotte area. My favorite traditional style is the Easter Carolina vinegar based. However the best pulled pork I have ever had came from a Gentleman who ran the BBQ supper every year at our church in Monroe, NC. The keys are the smoke from the Hickory (and I doubt Carnival is smoking over hickory wood exclusively - likely gas flame with a bit of hickory or other wood added) and the hybrid sauce he perfected over the years - sort of a blend between the vinegar base of Eastern Carolina Sauce and the sweet / tomato of the Western style. I will order BBQ elsewhere, and I do like Texas style brisket and Memphis style ribs, but I am usually dissapointed by pulled pork.

As far as Philly foods, I will not order a "Philly Cheese steak" outside of a 50 mile radius from South Philly, and as you get farther away the quality diminishes. The roll is important a fresh Amarosso roll is important! That and the quality of the steak. And please, "Provolone Wit" is how to make it..Wiz just doesn't cut it! The less renowned Philly sandwich, Italian Roast Pork with Provelone and Broccoli Rabe. Typically you won't even find this anywhere else, but if it were offered I would pass as I know I would be disappointed.

In my opinion you have to temper your expectations when finding highly regional items that you REALLY enjoy, as if they are too high you are better off passing than suffering the inevitable let down!

One thing that is universal in food related threads is that any food item's appeal is subjective.

I am originally from New England, have lived just outside of Charlotte, NC and now am just outside of Philly.

I do not order Boiled Lobster, a lobster roll, steamed clams, clam chowder or Boston Creme Pie outside of New England. It will just not be the same.

Being in the middle of the state on the SC border all 3 of the "Carolina" BBQ sauces were served in the Charlotte area. My favorite traditional style is the Easter Carolina vinegar based. However the best pulled pork I have ever had came from a Gentleman who ran the BBQ supper every year at our church in Monroe, NC. The keys are the smoke from the Hickory (and I doubt Carnival is smoking over hickory wood exclusively - likely gas flame with a bit of hickory or other wood added) and the hybrid sauce he perfected over the years - sort of a blend between the vinegar base of Eastern Carolina Sauce and the sweet / tomato of the Western style. I will order BBQ elsewhere, and I do like Texas style brisket and Memphis style ribs, but I am usually dissapointed by pulled pork.

As far as Philly foods, I will not order a "Philly Cheese steak" outside of a 50 mile radius from South Philly, and as you get farther away the quality diminishes. The roll is important a fresh Amarosso roll is important! That and the quality of the steak. And please, "Provolone Wit" is how to make it..Wiz just doesn't cut it! The less renowned Philly sandwich, Italian Roast Pork with Provelone and Broccoli Rabe. Typically you won't even find this anywhere else, but if it were offered I would pass as I know I would be disappointed.

In my opinion you have to temper your expectations when finding highly regional items that you REALLY enjoy, as if they are too high you are better off passing than suffering the inevitable let down!

You are so right. It's all about expectation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Yes beef brisket is uniquely Texas style but pulled pork is Carolina all the way until a few years ago you never heard of pulled pork outside of the Carolinas or Virginia now I’ve seen at Subway in California.

You must not be as big of a BBQ guy as you claim if you really think that.

On the Vista it is open on embarkation day.

In fact, they were telling people "lunch will be served on Lido, Deck, and at Guy's Pig & Anchor, Deck 5 midships." (No mention of the free-at-lunch eateries on Deck 11, though.)

There still wasn't a huge line on embark day, but there were lines later in the cruise on sea-days. They moved reasonably fast, though.

You are correct in that different folks have different tastes. And "exceptionally good food," as noted by Michelin stars or James Beard awards or multiple accolades in food reviews of the world's major newspapers, may make you cringe because you've never tried or even heard of it (BTW, it seems that you are okay with "lobster" but shunned the idea of "aragosta" (a.k.a. lobster).

Nonetheless, there are those of us who agree that regional dishes should be true to their roots and use the highest quality ingredients and styles of preparation available to best showcase those dishes.

Face the facts: discount cruise lines that may spend $10+\- per person per day on food will never be able to serve anything much better than what is available at an Appleby's or Golden Corral.

And, while some folks may enjoy or even seek out that kind of food (which is their right to do so), there are plenty of others who would just shake their head and push the plate away - if only because it's not authentically true to its roots (in both ingredients and preparation).

I leave you with the great advice from Dr Seuss: "Try them Sam I Am!"

I have been watching Hell's Kitchen for years and therefore familiar with all kinds of funky foods. And even though Chef Ramsey cooks many things on the show there are very few I would want to try, even cooked by his hands.

And congratulations for catching me on not knowing Italian worth a hoot. If you had said "Hummer" (German) or used the languge these boards are supposed be be typed in "Lobster", I would have understood what you meant. As for duck, salmon, kidney, goat, lamb, cornish game hen, rabbit, etc.......any dish with those weird ingredients, no matter how top notch they are or who they are cooked by, won't be passing by my lips.

Edited by Computer Nerd

I have been watching Hell's Kitchen for years and therefore familiar with all kinds of funky foods. And even though Chef Ramsey cooks many things on the show there are very few I would want to try, even cooked by his hands.

And congratulations for catching me on not knowing Italian worth a hoot. If you had said "Hummer" (German) or used the languge these boards are supposed be be typed in "Lobster", I would have understood what you meant. As for duck, salmon, kidney, goat, lamb, cornish game hen, rabbit, etc.......any dish with those weird ingredients, no matter how top notch they are or who they are cooked by, won't be passing by my lips.

First person I've met who thinks salmon is weird food. Not your thing, sure, but it's about as common as you can get. I'm having a hard time thinking of a fish I've seen on more dinner menus than salmon, actually. Also, game hen might *sound* a bit weird but it's not even the least bit gamey, I'm quite sure I could serve it to you and you'd never know it wasn't chicken.

It looks like, despite watching Gordon Ramsay, you don't realize that the "weird ingredient" called "Cornish game hen" is not "game" at all. It is merely a small chicken- in fact, it is a broiler chicken, the most common strain of commercially raised meat chickens.

As was evidenced with "aragosta" (and now with "Cornish game hen") it appears that you won't even venture into asking about what may really be in an unfamiliar dish.

So, I suppose you won't be ordering any "Welsh rarebit" anytime soon. No, it's not a "bunny." Rather it's pretty much akin to a grilled cheese sandwich.

Back to lobster: did you know that lobsters are in the same phylum (biological classification) as cockroaches? If you like lobster, you may want to be adventurous and try some salmon when you do that Alaska cruise.

Oops. Time for dinner- bouillabaisse!

It looks like, despite watching Gordon Ramsay, you don't realize that the "weird ingredient" called "Cornish game hen" is not "game" at all. It is merely a small chicken- in fact, it is a broiler chicken, the most common strain of commercially raised meat chickens.

As was evidenced with "aragosta" (and now with "Cornish game hen") it appears that you won't even venture into asking about what may really be in an unfamiliar dish.

So, I suppose you won't be ordering any "Welsh rarebit" anytime soon. No, it's not a "bunny." Rather it's pretty much akin to a grilled cheese sandwich.

Back to lobster: did you know that lobsters are in the same phylum (biological classification) as cockroaches? If you like lobster, you may want to be adventurous and try some salmon when you do that Alaska cruise.

Oops. Time for dinner- bouillabaisse!

Your sinus' are going to fill up with water if you keep walking around in the rain with your nose stuck up in the air.

Your sinus' are going to fill up with water if you keep walking around in the rain with your nose stuck up in the air.

Eating a varied and interesting diet AND encouraging others to do so has little to do with social status, wealth or snobbery. And sharing/understanding the origins of ethnic dishes is, at least, showing respect for the culture that made them popular.

Some of the most interesting, healthful, best tasting and inexpensive dishes (e.g., Vietnamese Pho, Sicilian stuffed artichokes, Cioppino [Dungeness crab and seafood stew]) are simple fare that grace the home tables of working class folks as often as they do four star restaurants.

I, hopefully, doubt that you would consider Dr Seuss a snob. So, again, follow his advice: "Try them Sam I am."

And steer clear of that Taco Bell https://munchies.vice.com/en_uk/article/a3d4xg/a-history-of-taco-bells-failed-attempts-to-open-locations-in-mexico-fastfoodweek2017

Yeah it almost seem like the beef had been boiled it was dense and waterlogged and flavorless. Yes beef brisket is uniquely Texas style but pulled pork is Carolina all the way until a few years ago you never heard of pulled pork outside of the Carolinas or Virginia now I’ve seen at Subway in California.

Not sure where your from but we've had pulled pork for as long as I can remember here in Nebraska.