Dreams pig and anchor a massive disappointment not real barbecue at all

imouer

We booked the Dream for a third time because we love the tandoor grill only to learn that is about to be removed from service. That said we also were excited to try the new pig and anchor barbecue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure when you were on the Dream but I just got off today and Tandoor was open every day for lunch. Excellent food!

Back to lobster: did you know that lobsters are in the same phylum (biological classification) as cockroaches? If you like lobster, you may want to be adventurous and try some salmon when you do that Alaska cruise.

Oops. Time for dinner- bouillabaisse!

No. Spiders.

One of the reasons we go on a cruise is to eat stuff I'd never order at a restaurant. Yeah, I've tried a lot of different things on 30 cruises. Escargots, for one. And my wife makes a great fauxcargots, made using sauteed button mushrooms. Calamari? To quote one comedian, even a cut up garden hose would taste good, if you fried it in butter, etc. My wife loves lamb; to me, today's lamb doesn't taste much different from beef. I remember when it had a strong taste and was a cheap meat.

Some of the most interesting, healthful, best tasting and inexpensive dishes (e.g., Vietnamese Pho, Sicilian stuffed artichokes, Cioppino [Dungeness crab and seafood stew]) are simple fare that grace the home tables of working class folks as often as they do four star restaurants.

In France, escargot is an inexpensive way to provide protein for country dwellers. They don't call it "wall fruit" for nothing.

I don't bash much on carnival but I have to agree with the OP. BBQ has some smoking involved. I like to use apple wood for it's mild flavor. There is 0.0000 BBQ association to any wood smoking. If you call putting meat in a oven and using a BBQ sauce a BBQ. then yes this is good BBQ. Personally I call it cooked meat.

Once upon a time, we had the pleasure of living in Hot Springs, AR, where one of the "19 Best BBQ Restaurants," McClard's, was found. It was good, but I've had just as good at such places as Spring Creek here in Texas. However, the article that declared McClards as being so good also stated that you could get some idea of how good a place's BBQ was by asking when they had their last big fire. If they haven't had one in the last 10 years, they aren't really smoking the meat. McClards had one while we lived there. But I doubt you'd want to apply that criteria to BBQ served on a ship.

I don't bash much on carnival but I have to agree with the OP. BBQ has some smoking involved. I like to use apple wood for it's mild flavor. There is 0.0000 BBQ association to any wood smoking. If you call putting meat in a oven and using a BBQ sauce a BBQ. then yes this is good BBQ. Personally I call it cooked meat.

Have you been to the Pig and Anchor on the Dream? They literally have the SMOKERS right there in plane view on the deck. I will admit they look like pellet smokers, but they are smokers. Why post something that is blatantly wrong?

That's the trouble with trying to replicate a local dish. I had Maryland Crab Cakes and New England Clam Chowder on our last cruise and they were edible, but they were no where near as good as the dishes made locally by folks who've made the same dish their entire lives.

I love visiting my cousins in Maryland - they know where all the great little crab cake places are. I haven't had Pig and Anchor on a cruise yet but I expect it wouldn't stand up to the BBQ place I worked at in Texas when I was in high school. I've grown to like eastern style BBQ having lived n FL for 35+ years but nothing is as good as my old boss Mickey's BBQ.

And I don't doubt OP had a bad food experience (I'm pretty picky about brisket myself) but I do question the statement that Guy would be embarrassed by it. I don't think Fieri would be embarrassed if he farted in front of the pope.

then again, neither would I. :D

We did Vista last Feb and will be doing her again this Feb. Good cruise but not good BBQ. All meat tasted as if they came out of an electric oven. 0 flavor in my honest opinion. We ate there once tasting all it had to offer as we shared. The Slaw and other fixings were pretty good but I couldn't find anything that stood out with the meats. They need to throw a stick of Hickory or Apple in there. We do very much like Guy's Burgers. I'll eat a dozen in a week's time. Now the IPA Beer on the Vista is world class. I'll rate in my top five favorite beers in the realm of Heady Topper - The Alchemist .

We booked the Dream for a third time because we love the tandoor grill only to learn that is about to be removed from service. That said we also were excited to try the new pig and anchor barbecue Because we are from the south and love barbecue and we are Guy fans. We waited in a long line for about 20 minutes to get our barbecue and I could tell when I saw the beef brisket that something was wrong. It was a dense and hard and had no smoke ring. Then they piled the greens on my plate and they were covered with a slimy yellow grease and had no vinegar smell. I reach for the Carolina barbecue sauce for my pulled pork in it was the right color but again had no smell of vinegar in was a bit sweet tasting nothing like anything in any of the Carolinas. I tried to eat the greens I took two or three bites forcing myself to eat this slimy crap with no vinegar. I have no idea what that was but they were not greens this southern boy knows better. I took one bite of the brisket and spit it out. Anyone that knows me knows that I love beef brisket and I know what it is and whatever this crap was it had no business being on the menu and I’m sure guy would be hugely embarrassed if he tasted it. The chicken was just OK not enough smoke as was the pulled pork. But again Carolina style pulled pork is all about the vinegar-based sauce and there was none to be found on the ship. Is I threw most of my food away I heard other people complaining that the food was not worth the wait and there was much disappointment all around me. At the dinner table The only ones who had anything nice to say about the barbecue were the people from Michigan and being that they don’t have a strong barbecue tradition up there I will give them a pass for not knowing better. The sad thing was the dream heels out of Louisiana and poles from all the deep southern states and everyone on that ship nurse for barbecue were supposed to be in the aint this crap unfortunately

Welcome to the cruise industries attempt to placate thousands of passengers tastebuds with something that is specific to a locale in the US. In other words, it's never going to taste like home.

Sorry, but ships that have the Pig and Anchor had smokers installed 0n them before they could be labeled the Pig and Anchor. In fact, they installed the smokers on the Vista during the TA from the Med to the U.S.

Welcome to the cruise industries attempt to placate thousands of passengers tastebuds with something that is specific to a locale in the US. In other words, it's never going to taste like home.

Doesn't need to taste like home and I would never expect something produced in the middle of the ocean to taste like Eastern NC. I just want it to taste good and IMO, it does.

I guess I am a little confused. What is "real" bbq? I am from Maine and know the difference between a Maine lobster and a Caribbean rock lobster is huge. Basically it is a totally different crustaceans but isn't a cow a cow and a pig a pig? Are you just talking about sauces?

Everyone on here would say their state has the best barbecue and there are many good cook shacks around the country. I was just on the Magic and I thought the pulled pork was just ok. The collards were disgusting. I love all greens but those were downright nasty! I don't think any sauce would have helped the meat. I tried it the day of embarkation and did not try it again. I thought Guys burger joint was better, not great but better.

It’s a cruise ship. Mass produced generic food. They are not going for authentic for any region. They paid a celebrity some money to slap his name on it. And the celebrity they paid, Guy Ferry, isn’t a chef, he’s a TV personality that had limited cooking experience prior to becoming a Food Network personality. Take it for what it is, a free food option.

You booked the cruise just for the Tandoor Grill?? Maybe it’s not supposed to be Carolina BBQ. I’ve had BBQ in Texas Tennessee and Carolina and they are all different. s

why not? I book my cruises based on the Mongolian Station. (only opened at lunch too)