So....what's the deal with those veggie burgers???

cvpends

I had one on the Royal last week, and well, mom always said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." A shame, really, because I've had plenty of really good veggie burgers. My guess is those good ones contained something other than potato and .... oatmeal?

I had one on the Royal last week, and well, mom always said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." A shame, really, because I've had plenty of really good veggie burgers. My guess is those good ones contained something other than potato and .... oatmeal?

It could have been that they cooked it on the grill with all the hamburgers instead of a separate frying pan & you just didn't see them do it.

Made it taste almost acceptable.:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I am so bummed. I haven't been on a Princess cruise in three years. I was looking up their alleged veggie burgers and am saddened that they STILL have those things they call "veggie" burgers. I don't think I should name the actual product name here, but they are available in some health food stores. It sends shivers up my spine to see them in the freezer compartment.

Anyway, I guess I won't be having a veggie burger on my upcoming cruise on the Ruby Princess.

Should they actually have a real veggie burger these days, I will update my post.:(:(

:(

I had a veggie burger on my last trip and it put me off from ordering the actual beef burger because I was so discouraged by their abilities to cook burger after that. Luckily I ended up giving the beef burger a go eventually, then promptly regretted not ordering it all those times before. But that veggie burger... urgh!

Yep, I think that you nailed it. While I am a preferred carnivore, I do like to try different vegetarian dishes if they look interesting. Beyond some Asian restaurants that do amazing things with vegetarian dishes, I have found those that attempt to replicate meat from soy fail miserably.

^^ This ^^

At least they're not as bad as the last ones I had on Celebrity -- they were basically green food coloring and old(?) mashed potatoes. Disgusting.

We're meat-eaters, but enjoy the Indian section of the buffet, too. And like Tom, I'm all about good food regardless of the protein source.

"An athiest, vegan, and crossfitter walk into a bar. I only know this because they told everyone within 30 seconds." :D

I'm intrigued by all this and would like to try a veggie burger although it sounds like my first one should not be on a Princess Ship. What store brands are good? What should I pick up with my next pack of brats?

Boca Burgers are good. But not for men; it's processed soy and will contribute to pseudogynecomastia (man boobs). If you really want one, you're better off making your own from black beans.

There are many reasons to be a vegetarian. For me it is my love of animals. For others it is health. For yet others it is religion. But that isn't the point of this thread. And neither is the point of this thread anything to do with anyone else's right to eat meat. That is your own choice, and I honor your choice just as I expect you to honor mine.

This thread is specifically about the quality and taste of the Princess veggie burgers. I am interested to find that there are people who can tolerate them. No one could possibly tolerate the one I tried. The one I tried was in Trident Grill and was a soft, barely cooked, one-inch-thick pile of grayish-brown disgusting tasting mush. It still gives me nightmare years later. So that makes me wonder why some can. Are there different veggie burgers in the dining room as opposed to in Trident Grill? Maybe the MDR ones are different (and hopefully better?) Has anyone done a comparison? Are there cooks in the fleet that can properly prepare a Princess veggie burger to make it tolerable?

And no one has answered my question about whether there is something we can do to effect a change. I would personally love to have a decent veggie burger when I cruise on Princess, as I can on many other cruise lines. Just as many meat eaters enjoy a burger for lunch, so do I. I just want mine to be vegetarian. Any ideas?

In my opinion, Princess is so traditional they can't see many people want more plant based options. I eat meat. I try to eat much less than I used to. But cruising with Princess makes it really hard. I had Caesar salad for dinner in the MDR 2 nights on our 6 day cruise last year. Yes, I know I can plan meals the day in advance but I wanted to order off the menu just to see if I could even though I put in a special request as a vegetarian (which I am not). Fettuccine Alfredo is not my idea of a healthy meal! My suggestion is to send an email to Princess. I did and it was pretty scathing. They definitely need to update their menu. It screams 1970s in my opinion. For vegetarians, I'd recommend thinking outside of the box. A lot of the Indian food is good and I thought the ratatouille was really good. I ordered it with something else as a side dish but will definitely be ordering it in a main dish portion next time. Please do send an email to Princess that we are ready for more plant based options (please -- just one decent, modern , healthy offering per night!) Is that too much to ask for?

As for the veggie burger, I'm still looking for one I like. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Veggie options:

Entree sized Cesar’s salad with dressing on the side. Double Anchovies

Steamed vegetables - topped with medium rare flank steak slices.

Baked potato - with extra bacon bits

Osso Buco - no one knows what it really is and it sounds vegan.

I'm intrigued by all this and would like to try a veggie burger although it sounds like my first one should not be on a Princess Ship. What store brands are good? What should I pick up with my next pack of brats?

We like Boca Burgers - soy beans are the main ingredient. Best cooked on a griddle - 6 minutes per side.

On the other hand, if many people lived a healthier life they might live long enough to die of something else. For us, the Morning Star Farms Veggie Burgers we get at Costco are the standard we compare veggie burgers to. Princess veggie burgers come in last.

We’re with you. We love MorningStar or BOCA burgers, and will often order them when going out to eat, but I’ve had the Princess veggie burger on three different ships... and to me, they were the worst veggie burgers I’ve eaten. They don’t look appetizing either...sad!

On the current live from Ruby thread, I discovered that I am not the only one horrified by the Princess veggie burgers. As a long-time vegetarian and somewhat of an expert of veggie burgers, I truly don't think those veggie burgers that are offered by Princess are a matter of personal taste. IMHO, I believe that there is something systemically wrong with them. So here are my questions for you:

1) Do you think I am wrong? Do you like the Princess veggie burger?

2) If you agree that I am correct that the Princess veggie burger should be banned from the world of food, what should we do to help Princess see the light?

Aloha:

Obviously, this is a VERY late response to your question, but I just noticed it and had to reply. I have been a vegetarian for well over 40 years and love veggies burgers the world round; however, I ate only one bite of a Princess veggie burger, and it almost made me gag. Consequently, I have not ordered another one but would like to know if they have improved since you wrote this post. Please advise. We're going to be boarding the Pacific in two weeks so want to know if I should give it another try. Mahalo and Aloha,

Bonnie

Exactly! If you want a BURGER...get a burger! If you want veggies....get a salad!

That's not fair!!! A salad and a burger are world's apart. I've had dozens of veggies burgers all over the world that have been delicious; however, I have no idea why Princess serves one that looks and tastes like dog food.

There are many reasons to be a vegetarian. For me it is my love of animals. For others it is health. For yet others it is religion. But that isn't the point of this thread. And neither is the point of this thread anything to do with anyone else's right to eat meat. That is your own choice, and I honor your choice just as I expect you to honor mine.

This thread is specifically about the quality and taste of the Princess veggie burgers. I am interested to find that there are people who can tolerate them. No one could possibly tolerate the one I tried. The one I tried was in Trident Grill and was a soft, barely cooked, one-inch-thick pile of grayish-brown disgusting tasting mush. It still gives me nightmare years later. So that makes me wonder why some can. Are there different veggie burgers in the dining room as opposed to in Trident Grill? Maybe the MDR ones are different (and hopefully better?) Has anyone done a comparison? Are there cooks in the fleet that can properly prepare a Princess veggie burger to make it tolerable?

And no one has answered my question about whether there is something we can do to effect a change. I would personally love to have a decent veggie burger when I cruise on Princess, as I can on many other cruise lines. Just as many meat eaters enjoy a burger for lunch, so do I. I just want mine to be vegetarian. Any ideas?

Aloha, Claire:

Has anyone thought of talking directly with a Princess chef about this problem? You're right. They have the most disgusting veggie burgers on earth, and I have been afraid to try one after just looking at the first one I ordered. One bite later I thought I was going to be sick. Consequently, it ended my even thinking about ordering another one in either another venue on the ship or any other Princess ship. I was even afraid to on Oceania after being so shocked at the one on the Star.

We are going to be on the Pacific in two weeks so I will talk to the chef there and ask him if they have improved and, if not, what can be done. After reading so much about the Princess veggie burgers this afternoon, I hope to return and post a positive result.

We live on an island with delicious veggie burgers at every turn.

Wish me luck!

Aloha,

Kauai Swimmer

There are SO many amazing veggie burgers out there now that taste like meat. Beyond Burger, the Impossible Burger, Field Roast burgers, Gardein burgers.... SO MANY. I wish Princess could get their act together and bring on one of those! I'm vegan and I won't touch the veggie burgers on the ship, they're so bad. It's really hard to mess up a veggie burger. GAH.

I'd love love love to see more plant-based options on regular menus. Most of Princess' stuff that's vegetarian is either unhealthy or has loads of butter and cheese.

I always request vegan meals special and they're always amazing but...can't we just see a healthy, plant-based option, just one, on the menu each night? C'mon Princess!!

There are SO many amazing veggie burgers out there now that taste like meat. Beyond Burger, the Impossible Burger, Field Roast burgers, Gardein burgers.... SO MANY. I wish Princess could get their act together and bring on one of those! I'm vegan and I won't touch the veggie burgers on the ship, they're so bad. It's really hard to mess up a veggie burger. GAH.

I'd love love love to see more plant-based options on regular menus. Most of Princess' stuff that's vegetarian is either unhealthy or has loads of butter and cheese.

I always request vegan meals special and they're always amazing but...can't we just see a healthy, plant-based option, just one, on the menu each night? C'mon Princess!!

Although I've never heard of the veggie burgers you mentioned, I heartily agree with you. I haven't had meat, dairy, caffeine, sugar, or chemicals in almost 50 years. The world is coming to us, and Oceania has better menus, but I honestly think that it would help if all of us vegans/vegetarians talked with all of the chefs on every cruise. We need to start a grass roots (pun intended) movement on Princess. They do have a few sugar free selections for dessert, but Oceania has 11 every day. I don't eat the ones with chocolate because of the caffeine, but they have delicious options.

It's funny that we never eat desserts at home, but I look forward to them on ships. It's my way of falling off the wagon while on vacation.

Aloha,

Bonnie

P.S. Our CostCo now sells plant-based burgers, and they're really good.