So....what's the deal with those veggie burgers???

cvpends

And no one has answered my question about whether there is something we can do to effect a change...

Sorry to have stomped on your thread with an attempt at a little bit of humor to lighten things up. RF did answer your question, maybe you didn't see it. You can also call the Princess number and complain and they will listen. Will it do any good? Only if it makes sense dollar wise do you have a chance IMHO.

RF Said -

"About the only thing you can do is 1) don't order them and 2) comment on the post cruise survey. "

Are you in good health?

So, what do all your greasy french fries or onion rings do for your waistline? :D

As one would say: You are what you eat.

Enjoy your cruise. Mangia! Mangia! ;p

It is good to be me and you might just be surprised! And yes "you" are. ;p Grazie.

Edited by davekathy

There are many reasons to be a vegetarian. For me it is my love of animals. For others it is health. For yet others it is religion. But that isn't the point of this thread. And neither is the point of this thread anything to do with anyone else's right to eat meat. That is your own choice, and I honor your choice just as I expect you to honor mine.

This thread is specifically about the quality and taste of the Princess veggie burgers. I am interested to find that there are people who can tolerate them. No one could possibly tolerate the one I tried. The one I tried was in Trident Grill and was a soft, barely cooked, one-inch-thick pile of grayish-brown disgusting tasting mush. It still gives me nightmare years later. So that makes me wonder why some can. Are there different veggie burgers in the dining room as opposed to in Trident Grill? Maybe the MDR ones are different (and hopefully better?) Has anyone done a comparison? Are there cooks in the fleet that can properly prepare a Princess veggie burger to make it tolerable?

And no one has answered my question about whether there is something we can do to effect a change. I would personally love to have a decent veggie burger when I cruise on Princess, as I can on many other cruise lines. Just as many meat eaters enjoy a burger for lunch, so do I. I just want mine to be vegetarian. Any ideas?

I have not had a Princess veggie burger before but now am very curious and will form my own opinion on our upcoming cruise. As a pescatarian (seafood but no other meat) I often look for veggie burgers on menus. There is a huge range of offerings at restaurants from horrible mush like a can of Alpo for dogs to pure nirvana. The more a veggie burger tries to imitate a meat burger, the worse it seems to be.

Veggie burgers that include grains like quinoa, brown rice or faro plus a variety of veggies and/or black beans and some good seasonings are usually superior to those that contain a bunch of soy or wheat gluten, etc. Do you think Princess would be willing to provide their recipe? That would be very telling. I've tried making a variety of veggie burger recipes and there is indeed a fine line between a good end product and one that remains somewhat mushy and unappetizing.

The more a veggie burger tries to imitate a meat burger, the worse it seems to be.

Veggie burgers that include grains like quinoa, brown rice or faro plus a variety of veggies and/or black beans and some good seasonings are usually superior to those that contain a bunch of soy or wheat gluten, etc.

Yep, I think that you nailed it. While I am a preferred carnivore, I do like to try different vegetarian dishes if they look interesting. Beyond some Asian restaurants that do amazing things with vegetarian dishes, I have found those that attempt to replicate meat from soy fail miserably.

I have not had a Princess veggie burger before but now am very curious and will form my own opinion on our upcoming cruise. As a pescatarian (seafood but no other meat) I often look for veggie burgers on menus. There is a huge range of offerings at restaurants from horrible mush like a can of Alpo for dogs to pure nirvana. The more a veggie burger tries to imitate a meat burger, the worse it seems to be.

Veggie burgers that include grains like quinoa, brown rice or faro plus a variety of veggies and/or black beans and some good seasonings are usually superior to those that contain a bunch of soy or wheat gluten, etc. Do you think Princess would be willing to provide their recipe? That would be very telling. I've tried making a variety of veggie burger recipes and there is indeed a fine line between a good end product and one that remains somewhat mushy and unappetizing.

Ever tried a tofu burger?

On the current live from Ruby thread, I discovered that I am not the only one horrified by the Princess veggie burgers. As a long-time vegetarian and somewhat of an expert of veggie burgers, I truly don't think those veggie burgers that are offered by Princess are a matter of personal taste. IMHO, I believe that there is something systemically wrong with them.

Our experience is that the three places you can order a Princess veggie burger deliver three different types of them. The one from the Trident Grill is different from the one in the dining room which is also different from the one available from Room Service.

Which one of these three places did your veggie burger come from?

Our experience is that the three places you can order a Princess veggie burger deliver three different types of them. The one from the Trident Grill is different from the one in the dining room which is also different from the one available from Room Service.

Which one of these three places did your veggie burger come from?

This is very interesting information! And this could explain why there are some who like the Princess veggie burger, while others don't. The one I tried was in Trident Grill. In your experience, is one better than the other? How are they different?

I have tried the veggie burger on the Grand and other ships at the Trident bar, and all times I have tried I have tossed. Not sure but I think they start out with mashed potatoes and then add some corn and other veggies. May be very healthy, and I eat very healthy, but they were just mushy and never did crisp up. I love black bean burgers but these not so much. I will try in room service on our next trip, did not know they were provided, but will check and see what they are like.

I've had one or two veggie burgers each sailing. Why I keep thinking they would get better I don't know. In the MDR they are mushy and gooey not appetizing. I think I've only had one at Trident grill and I think it kept it's form better...

-Need to put this on my list of things to remember to mention on the next survey along with a request for healthy veggie smoothies *smile.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

I have tried the veggie burger on the Grand and other ships at the Trident bar, and all times I have tried I have tossed. Not sure but I think they start out with mashed potatoes and then add some corn and other veggies. May be very healthy, and I eat very healthy, but they were just mushy and never did crisp up. I love black bean burgers but these not so much. I will try in room service on our next trip, did not know they were provided, but will check and see what they are like.

I don't know if it is only a Grand thing, but I totally agree with this. My sister and I have been vegetarian for many years and eaten a lot of different veggie burgers and I would describe the ones on the Grand as mushy potato cakes. Not the worst I've had, but the ones we had didn't inspire us to order them again.

For me, I don't need a veggie burger to try to replicate beef. I want something that tastes good and has some texture. A hard sear on the outside always helps, and would really help the mashed potato cakes masquerading as veggie burgers on the Grand!

We did mention it on our post cruise survey, and I honestly think that's all we can do.

I guess I am in the minority here, but I think the vegi burgers on Princess are fine. As a non meat eater, they are not my all -time favorite, but I can certainly enjoy one topped with cheese and a plate of fries. I haven't tried the ones in the MDR, just from the poolside grill.